Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to install Steel Fender Flares on a 914:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Root_Werks
I got home Saturday just around noonish and notice this hanging out at my house:
Root_Werks
Next thing I know, Steve Peters is pulling flares out of the trunk of his 914. "What say we put on some flares Eh!" biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
By one-o-clock, we had already made our first fitting and cuts. Here is Steve grinding away some of that most beautiful paint from his 914.
Gint
Apparently it's too damn easy to get across the border up there. smile.gif We just sent Bruce back yesterday after he sneaked across too.
r_towle
Look what happens with slack border controls.

They come by, take over your driveway, shop AND tools...pretty presumptuous.

Rich
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 9 2008, 05:07 PM) *

I got home Saturday just around noonish and notice this hanging out at my house:

I think the yellow/black goes on the front bumper on a GT, not the Fuchs smile.gif

I stopped by Chez Bovey yesterday and he described how you do the flares. My plan of attack is similar welder.gif
JRust
Pics of the installed flares chowtime.gif . Maybe once I finish the creamsicle I'll have the money to do it confused24.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 9 2008, 07:04 PM) *

Pics of the installed flares chowtime.gif . Maybe once I finish the creamsicle I'll have the money to do it confused24.gif

I doubt it... you'll probably find a bumble bee halfway through the creamsicle...
and still be wondering why your 215 is running hot. poke.gif av-943.gif

So you going to post more pics of the flare install there Mr Original poster dude?
computers4kids
QUOTE(RJMII @ Nov 9 2008, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 9 2008, 07:04 PM) *

I doubt it... you'll probably find a bumble bee halfway through the creamsicle...
and still be wondering why your 215 is running hot. poke.gif av-943.gif

So you going to post more pics of the flare install there Mr Original poster dude?

Jamie...you have no more secrets av-943.gif av-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
Need more pictures biggrin.gif

I got to see Dan working his magic and I must say he made this look way too easy. aktion035.gif
messix
i took way more pictures than that.... where are they
Dan ... Steve..... WTF.gif
Root_Werks
Sorry guys, I realized after starting this thread that 99% of the pictures were taken on Steve's camera. He is going to e-mail them to me. I'll finish this up in the next day or so. There is A LOT to see. welder.gif
Root_Werks
Oh hey Troy and Jon, we finished up around 9PM! One solid 8 hour shift. Crazy! After we got done we cleaned up and went to a local dinner and drowned our sore muscles. biggrin.gif drunk.gif
messix
TEASE mad.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 9 2008, 09:32 PM) *

Oh hey Troy and Jon, we finished up around 9PM! One solid 8 hour shift. Crazy! After we got done we cleaned up and went to a local dinner and drowned our sore muscles. biggrin.gif drunk.gif

You could have come where I told you and done that for free wink.gif

Nice work Dan. You work fast. biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
I emailed a bunch o pics to dan last nite...but fell asleep at the computer, so he only got half of them
really dan made the install look so easy even after he drank all my beer drunk.gif
pete-stevers
the simplicity of the install i will let dan wax eloquoently
Dan did say the aa flares are of fantastic quaility and the fitment was better than the factory flares... he has installed both
and furthermore....i think Pat garvey would be darn proud of us!! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
even after he drank all my beer

Was that beer from within a 50 mile radius of your house?

Come on gals... let's post some pics! biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 10 2008, 09:29 AM) *

even after he drank all my beer

Was that beer from within a 50 mile radius of your house?

Come on gals... let's post some pics! biggrin.gif

it was jamacan red stripe, and i think taj mahal beer...or something of the sort
definataly not local stuff...
Root_Werks
Lets see how big or small these pictures are. This is the first of the cuts after steve ground the paint off the general cut line area. We start by fitting the bottom lips and tacking them onto the 914. From there you cut up, tack, cut, tack until the entire flare is tacked on with a perfect 1/32-1/16 inch gap to weld up.
Root_Werks
Hey Steve, these pictures are like 4kb each and pretty small. Any chance you can e-mail me some 40-50kb size pictures? They distort when I make them big.
pete-stevers
they are shrunk to the size the site "likes" just try loading one as is
Root_Werks
Like this?
Root_Werks
Holy crap, these are coming out really tinny. idea.gif
DNHunt
Jeez, you guys are working on matchbox cars
Root_Werks
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 10 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Jeez, you guys are working on matchbox cars

Yeah, those little pictures are making my head look bigger than usual. huh.gif
Root_Werks
Here is one re-sized: Not pretty.
pete-stevers
let me try
pete-stevers
sum more
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Nov 10 2008, 09:57 AM) *

they are shrunk to the size the site "likes" just try loading one as is

Steve, email the pictures you want posted and I will resize them so they will be viewable.

beerchug.gif

Never mind, looks like you got it figured out biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
werks for me
pete-stevers
more
Root_Werks
Thanks Steve!

Last couple of pictures there you get a better idea of the process. Cut the bottom corners, fit, tac weld and check the rest of the fit. Then cut up another 12-18 inches, tac that keeping your blade width gap and keep cutting, tac, cut, tac until you're all the way around. I worked from each side up to the middle.

Steve, keep posting. There are the shots of the right front fender after we ground it down I wanted to show. It almost needs no body work at all. Looks perfect.

welder.gif
pete-stevers
here are some more
pete-stevers
here is the one you are looking for dan...once the welds where ground down it is almost as smooth as.....
sixnotfour
here is the one you are looking for dan...once the welds where ground down it is almost as smooth as.....

your babies but will be.(Congrats to you both BTW)
Nice work, steve ,you "had" a nice narrow car.
someday we will all have flairs, hmm Ive heard something similar to that before.
also paint it a decent color would ya av-943.gif
Root_Werks
That's funny, I was mentioning to Steve how cool your frog green 914 looks in person. That color is amazing!

Steve, you gotta do something cool with the color now. Any idea yet?
Chuck
How did you get the bottoms to fit? I've seen that as an issue on a few other installation threads with the angle of the steel on the car.
Gint
Nice work!

Whatever Steve is using for email is probably shrinking the pics that he emailed to Dan.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Chuck @ Nov 10 2008, 06:49 PM) *

How did you get the bottoms to fit? I've seen that as an issue on a few other installation threads with the angle of the steel on the car.

The AA flares have a 90 corner while the 914 stock fenders have that small double angle. When I cut for the bottom parts I grab the angle and flatten it out to match the bottom line of the factor fender which then matches up with the bottom of the flare.

We are lucky to own cars that someone like George H. has done all this R&D on a product so wonderfully produced as this. I am not a big AA fan, but I tell you, I love these flares.
effutuo101
Nice work Dan! I hope to be in line soon.
Chuck
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 10 2008, 07:41 PM) *

The AA flares have a 90 corner while the 914 stock fenders have that small double angle. When I cut for the bottom parts I grab the angle and flatten it out to match the bottom line of the factor fender which then matches up with the bottom of the flare.

Do you have any photos of this?
TC 914-8
Good Lookin' work Dan, I wish I had steel flairs. I guess the only good thing about the fiberglass flairs on my car, is you put them on.
Some day I'll make it to your side of the sound, you guys all live too close, you have your own club inside the club.
Enjoy,

Tony
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Chuck @ Nov 10 2008, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 10 2008, 07:41 PM) *

Do you have any photos of this?

pete-stevers
what i can see is you set the flare where it fits on the bottom
tack it in place and apply pressure for fitment at the top, cutting the steel of the orig fender right along that line, the gap from the saw blade is just perfect for a weld bead...and from what i could see is there is little issue with fitment of any sort using this method.
jd74914
Nice work!! biggrin.gif

But wear safety glasses!
Chuck
Thanks! smilie_pokal.gif
cardiaceagle
Looks great...
Any raised eyebrows on the return trip at the border?...
regards...
pete-stevers
nope...i told her i went down to a freinds place to weld on some flares...
she said "what"
so i point to the flares, and said we welded those on...
she asked if i bought any parts, i said nope, i brought them with me,
she shook her head and smiled
and waved me through
prolly thought i was nuts
cardiaceagle
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Nov 12 2008, 07:49 AM) *

nope...i told her i went down to a freinds place to weld on some flares...
she said "what"
so i point to the flares, and said we welded those on...
she asked if i bought any parts, i said nope, i brought them with me,
she shook her head and smiled
and waved me through
prolly thought i was nuts

if they ask you to open the trunk...
don't ask "which one?"...
I should of just got out and opened the back one...
no smiling border guards that day...
regards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.