Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Fender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
watsonrx13
The jack post appears to already have been replaced, but there's a lot of extra material and rust behind it. I'll remove and repair it also.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the inner targa panel after I cleaned the surface rust.
watsonrx13
This shows the reason I removed the fender, rust from the engine compartment. I"m planning to remove and replace with a piece from the donor car.
McMark
It is abundantly clear that I have never seen a 914 with rust.
wacko.gif
Gint
You have a job ahead in that one Rob. wacko.gif blink.gif
kafermeister
Congrats Rob. Looks like it's coming along.

Rick
Joe Ricard
Honestly I had no idea. and to think people in California would have cut it up to a zillion pieces and never shed a tear.

People like Rob are my hero because he has the drive to fix this car.

Rob the more you uncover the worse I feel about you getting this car from me. Who woulda thunk that this is the same car. Obviously well covered till you burn off the disguise of bondo. pray.gif
Joe Ricard
front trunk
Gint
I saw your pics in a different thread Joe. I almost bought that car before you did.
Joe Ricard
Yea, cool deal. Would have been as long of a trip for you as it was for me. Mississippi to Cleveland OH. Left Friday afternoon return home Sunday 10 am round trip. I must be crazy. Now I am going to Everrett Wa. and driving the yellow car back.

So GINT what car did you get. Or why did you decide against the blue one?
Gint
We're all crazy... wacko.gif

I didn't want the stiffening kit that was installed. And you can't really just remove those. I even had a faxed copy of the title. I was real close to buying it. I ended up buying the Sepia Brown car from MalmZ that's on my Porsche web pages. Then after all of the work I put into that car, I sold it and bought my /6
watsonrx13
Well, here's a shot of the first layer of primer. I've repaired the 2 large areas of rust and filled in the air-tube hole. I still have to finish welding in the bottom piece of the inner targa panel. It has taken me a month to get to this point. I'll continue this thread until I install the new fender, stay tuned.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the rear fender trial fitted. I have to replace the longitudinals and some more welding before I can finally attached the fender.

Here's the post of what I had to do underneath the fender. Post.
watsonrx13
Well, after I test fitted the rear fender and trunk, I removed both and began stripping the driver's rear fender. Here's what I found. The PO had done some repair, evidently cut out some rust, caused by the holes for the chrome strip at the bottom of the vinyl sail panel. There was about 3/8" of bondo covering this repair.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot the piece I tach welded in. I tach welded in 2 separate pieces, which allowed me to keep the upper and lower pieces aligned.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the drilled out spot-welds around the rear taillights.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the piece I tach welded in.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the piece underneath the taillights. This is where several spot-welds were drilled out.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the piece I tach welded in, I have also covered it with AllMetal, a metalic body filler. You'll also see I used the AllMetal on the upper piece also. I still have some more minor repairs, along with filling in the air-tube.

Stay tuned.
seanery
looking good rob!
ThinAir
Thanks so much for keeping us updated with such great info and wonderful pictures. For those of us who hope to someday be doing similar things to our teener, this is an invaluable resource! pray.gif
East coaster
I never heard of the "all metal" filler, but will it hold up to the welding your going to do right next to it when you weld the fender on?
watsonrx13
Good point EC, I haven't used the filler before I weld a panel on. I was only attempting to fill in the gaps before I weld, but based on your issue, I'll take the filler off, then weld the panel on and finally use the filler afterwards.

Thanks for the observation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.