Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Facet fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
My car is a 6 conversion in progress and I am about to install my facet fuel pump. Where has everybody mounted their aftermarket pumps. Up at the tank and push the fuel or back at the engine and pull. I always heard pushing was better.
Please show pics to if you have it.

Thanks
campbellcj
My pump and main filter are up front on the tank bulkhead, easily accessible (it's a track car). This pic was taken before the big oil cooler was added. I'm getting ready to redo the lines with AN-6 braided hose but will probably keep this pump setup for now. I may add another inline filter back at the carb end just for good measure.

IPB Image
ArtechnikA
much easier to push a fluid than suck it. trying to suck it just worsens a borderline vapor lock (fuel vaporization) problem and keeping the line pressurised - even at only 5 psi - will help (even if only a little) ... also -- the Facet needs a pretty good head on the suction side.
rdracrdave
Two pumps. One up front by the fuel cell , one in the engine compartment.
Works well with a 3.0L six.

Dave
Malmz
Up front. Consider a Holley or Carter over the Facet though to get the flow you will need with a -6. The Carter is just under $100, the Holley (I forget if it's the Red or Blue that is the right PSI) is purdier and just over $100.

From what I've seen, the Facet is mostly used for carbed Type I motors.

sm
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have the Holley Red Pump in my Squareback and it puts out 7psi. Use a Holley pressure regulator to adjust fuel pressure, not one of those cheap dial-it-in units barf.gif
J P Stein
I run the 4.5 psi Facet, no regulator, no return line......heresy, eh?
Wurks, too.

I've pumped out half a tank (to drain it) in 10-15 minutes. If you use more fuel than that........ confused24.gif
scotty
Up front with the filter (mallory) and a pressure regulator in the engine compartment (with return line). WAY more than I need...unless I can convince my fiends at the metalworks to cast me a flat 8 case (that'll take more scotch than a care to part with at this time). a six is enough until I win Megabucks wink.gif

A simple facet with no return (like JP's) passes the KISS test. If/when my pump ever goes, I'll probably do what he did (plumbing is WAY simpler).
campbellcj
Hey...I'm damn glad you guys brought up the "return line" topic again wink.gif

I was sitting there in the '"reading room" flippin' through the Jegs catalog (no, not JUGS Zois) that just came in the mail and planning my fuel repiping project. I realized that my car didn't have a return line when I bought it (w/ the big-four) and still doesn't now (w/ the small-six) and sure doesn't seem to need it idea.gif

As long as I stick with a ~5psi fuel pump with appropriate output specs, any reason to add all that return plumbing? confused24.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
My set up doesn't have a return line.

I do have a mechanical impact switch (Ford part, wink.gif
Elliot_Cannon
My pump and filter is at the bottom of the fire wall close to the stock position. I don't know where this sucking vs pushing came from. If the pump is at or below the bottom of the fuel tank, gravity pushes it to the fuel pump and the pump pushes it to the carbs.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.