Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you clean your Transmission/Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
I have multipe Trans. and Engines that have years of caked dust/dirt/mud/etc on them.

What is the best way to getting them to look new? Power washing? Parts cleaner?

I know this is such a newb question, but hey! I'm a Newb! unsure.gif
ericread
Sorry for the non-serious response, but I love this image from last year...

Click to view attachment

Eric Read

lol3.gif

RiqueMar
Hey, it's the first response I've gotten, I just don't know what to do.
Rand
Steam cleaners rock. But not everyone has access to them.
You could take them down to a carwash with the pressure wands, soak everything good with brake cleaner (or see if someone chimes in with a better chemical), let it work a bit, then power wash it off.
jd74914
I've always used a big shop sink, a ton of degreaser, maybe some brake cleaner, rags, and a wire brush. You can clean off pretty much everything that way, it just takes time.

Though if you want to clean assembled stuff a powerwash isn't too bad an idea. Just make sure you don't do it over any grass.
Johny Blackstain
If I remember correctly, Dr. Evil recommended Easy Off & a power washer for the tranny.
RiqueMar
Right on, any other "hot tips"?
Spoke
I used a small screwdriver to scrape off the caked mud on my tranny. Looks good enough.
Cap'n Krusty
Whatever you use, be careful! I wouldn't steam a tranny unless it was coming apart right away. That Castrol purple cleaner can EASILY put you in the hospital, so use it in a WELL ventilated place with a good breeze blowing. Easy Off can damage the magnesium tranny case and other bits, so be careful there, too. Oh, staem cleaning can permanently discolor aluminum engine cases (OK, anything made of aluminum .............. )

The Cap'n
Rav914
Simple Green and a powerwasher connected to the hot water tap.
Ericv1

Drench the tranny with degreaser. Use a wire brush to get the caked on dirt off. Rinse the degreaser off with water. Don't do it over grass that you want to live.
Ferg
Oil Eater, they sell the stuff at Costco, and I like it far better than the simple green and purple power stuff. Works better IMO and less nasty.

http://www.oileater.com/

Ferg aktion035.gif
kconway
Can't you just take it to a machine shop and have them stick it in there parts wash tank? That is if it's disassembled.
brant
I don't think I'd powerwash any motor or tranny that I wasn't going to disassemble.

too much chance for water to get inside
I've power washed cases and things I had apart in the past.

but for a tranny or motor that I'm not taking apart
I usually spread out a big piece of cardboard
and use:
- naphtha (solvent) I put some in a coffee can
- a variety of brushes (tooth brushes, paint brushes, brass bristled brushes)
- a spatula
- an old screw driver

this way I control how much gets onto the tranny
nothing gets inside
I roll the tranny over to get the sides and bottom

it takes time but comes out pretty decent
I wouldn't suggest getting any liquids inside other than grease
brant
Dr Evil
Easy Off oven cleaner and a pressure washer are what I have used with low effort and good success. I did an experiment with a tranny case and put Easy Off on it for over a month, kept soaking it, when I finally washed it off it was not damaged. Easy Off is not strong enough to eat your case, that is an urban myth.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 13 2008, 03:32 PM) *

Easy Off oven cleaner and a pressure washer are what I have used with low effort and good success. I did an experiment with a tranny case and put Easy Off on it for over a month, kept soaking it, when I finally washed it off it was not damaged. Easy Off is not strong enough to eat your case, that is an urban myth.

I yield to your experience, anecdotal though it may be ..............

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Anecdotal?! bootyshake.gif
Def: based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers

My study was scientific. It was only lacking in that I didnt repeat it over and over again. Nor will I as it is pointless. I set the parameters to be obscene in that I soaked the palate for 1 mo. Before one does a study they first see if there is a reaction to study, there was no significant one here. When used for a normal amount of time required for cleaning (less than a month), Easy Off has thus far proven to be non damaging.
dry.gif
davep
For the tranny I remove the vent, and plug with a wheel bolt.
Then I take to the local transmission shop for cleaning.
Upon return I replace the input and output shaft seals.
Al Meredith
I used to take my engine case to AAMCO and they put it their washer. $20.
Richard Casto
For the magnesium parts, Mineral Spirits, nylon scrub brush and elbow grease. Simple Green also works well. Dr. Evil may have had good results with the Easy Off, but I personally would be concerned about potential damage to machined surfaces.

Your next question should be "How should I protect the magnesium case once it is clean". My suggestion is CRC brand "Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor". It is a Tectyl like spray on wax coating.
PeeGreen 914
A big bucket of bleach and amonia confused24.gif

NO DON'T... I was joking laugh.gif Well, unless you want to die huh.gif

I use a parts washer that is like a very hot dishwasher. I has worked very well for all my parts. I believe most machine shops have these and they will do it for a fee.

You should try what the Doc is telling you though. I'd be interested in seeing how easy off goes.
Tom
When my engine + trans were out, I used DAWN Power Degreaser. Blue spray bottle. Use gloves as it will remove your skin oil. It comes out as a gel, so it is stays on pretty long as you use a brush on it. Rinsed off with garden hose. I was really surprised at how well it turned out. Careful- it will remove paint some also.
Made the aluminum shine like new.
Tom
Lou W
This is what I use;
Pat Garvey
Whether you use Simple Green, Easy Off, Purple stuff, Naptha, Brake Cleaner, Acetone (my choice), Toluene (not recommended!) - be sure you have protective hand, eye protection & a respirator - not a dust mask! Have plenty of fresh air & no source of spark for the flammable things (especially Acetone). Be careful boys & girls. Some of this stuff is BAD! Though it works.

Had my best luck with Acetone, but wouldn't do it again. Also had decent luck with brake cleaner & lots of teeny brushes & q-tips - safer.

When you have the case(s) nice & clean, do not attempt to polish them. I once spent 2 entire days with a dremel and simichrome on a clean engine. Looked like chrome when I was finished (I have pics around here somewhere...). Covered it up for 2 months & came back to get - oxidized to the gray patina it had in the first place. Wasted effort.
Pat

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Nov 13 2008, 09:22 PM) *

A big bucket of bleach and amonia confused24.gif

NO DON'T... I was joking laugh.gif Well, unless you want to die huh.gif

I use a parts washer that is like a very hot dishwasher. I has worked very well for all my parts. I believe most machine shops have these and they will do it for a fee.

You should try what the Doc is telling you though. I'd be interested in seeing how easy off goes.

Yeah, but the bleach & ammonia give you a REAL Goth look. You know, blue lips & fingernails. Oh, I forgot, that's because you've been inhaling Chlorine gas, which wreaks havoc on the Oxygen in your body. That means - you will probably die! So don't do it.

I actually had this happen to me in the early 70's (amongst many other "things"), when I worked for a division of Kodak. Had a chlorine gas leak in the lab early one morning. Still remember vividly the smell & knew immediately I was in trouble. Lots of O2 later & several hours later I lived. If I'd been alone that morning I would've never made it to fresh air. One more reason I changed from chemist to bean counter.
FourBlades

Anyone ever try Boeshield on their aluminum and magnesium? They use it on
aircraft. It is also popular with boaters. I think it is also a kind of sprayable wax.

I just cleaned up my fan case using purple power, brake cleaner and nylon
brushes. A real PITA and the case is a dark gray color now. I may powdercoat
it if the local shop can do magnesium.

John
chris914
I use Simple Green and the hose connected to the sink in the garage to get hot water. The hot water makes a world of difference! You have to have a good hose and a metal nozzle that will not melt. biggrin.gif

Also using hot water will cause the water to dry faster.
hwgunner
what?? No pictures of these clean things here??

driving.gif
orcadigital
The only clean 914 drivetrain is one not yet installed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.