Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrKona
Fellow 914 devotees,

I've been amassing parts for an eventual five-lug conversion. My original plan was to one day flare the car and put bigger brakes on the rear. I picked up Bilstein front strut assemblies, hubs, and brakes with 3.5" spacing.

Plans have changed. I'm sticking with the narrow body. After reading enough opinions on this page, I've decided to go with a 3" set up up front to better balance out stock rear brakes.

I found a local 911 guy who has a '72 911T he is upgrading to Carerra specs. He is in need of 3.5" strut housings and hubs. He has already acquired brakes, and does not need the strut inserts.

So here is the proposed trade: I give him my 3.5" strut housings and hubs (I keep the inserts, use them in the 3" housings). He gives me his 3" housings, hubs, brakes.

I can then sell the 3.5" brakes I keep.

Is this a fair trade? Should any additional money go either way?

Thanks.
LarryR
QUOTE(MrKona @ Nov 16 2008, 12:23 PM) *

Fellow 914 devotees,

I've been amassing parts for an eventual five-lug conversion. My original plan was to one day flare the car and put bigger brakes on the rear. I picked up Bilstein front strut assemblies, hubs, and brakes with 3.5" spacing.

Plans have changed. I'm sticking with the narrow body. After reading enough opinions on this page, I've decided to go with a 3" set up up front to better balance out stock rear brakes.

I found a local 911 guy who has a '72 911T he is upgrading to Carerra specs. He is in need of 3.5" strut housings and hubs. He has already acquired brakes, and does not need the strut inserts.

So here is the proposed trade: I give him my 3.5" strut housings and hubs (I keep the inserts, use them in the 3" housings). He gives me his 3" housings, hubs, brakes.

I can then sell the 3.5" brakes I keep.

Is this a fair trade? Should any additional money go either way?

Thanks.

I would say that your housings are worth a couple hundred more than the 3" housings. I have seen 3" strut housings sell for 100-150. Bisteins in good condition could bring probably sell for around 400. Also, dont count on the inserts to work in the 3" housings.... they might and they might not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.