Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Meat roasting in SLO last week
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CliffBraun
I'm gonna be smoking a buncha tri tip and ribs next Sunday, anyone who's in the Central Coast area is welcome to stop by. My 914 will probably still not be done, but so it goes. I might be persuaded to show some progress pics though.

Probably start smoking (and drinking) at noonish, stuff will be ready between 4 and 5pm.

Let me know if you're interested. Sww914 can vouch for the food, it won't poison you, but I'm not willing to say much more.

Grill in question:
IPB Image
sww914
Not only is it not poison, it's equal to or greater than any that I've ever had in any BBQ restaurant. Absolutely perfect!
If Cliff will let me have a (nother) Sunday off I'll come. I'll make potato salad.
markb
The shredded beef taco I got a few weeks ago was excellent! I'll be there. jsharp.gif

What can I bring?

CliffBraun
Steve, you only get off if you work 30 hour days every day this week and get my car done! Otherwise I'll be splitting my time between the BBQ and the whip.

I dunno about what to bring, I'm kinda a meataholic, so that's what I normally consume at these things.

Mark, that was just sliced thinly, though that it seemed shredded speaks well of my slicking skillz and the tenderness of the meat.

Is there really nobody else in the central coast free sunday?
Cap'n Krusty
"Free Sunday"? I'll take 3 or 4 if there's any left .................

The Cap'n
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 17 2008, 09:54 PM) *

"Free Sunday"? I'll take 3 or 4 if there's any left .................

The Cap'n

Sorry, all sold out. biggrin.gif
dw914er
which sunday? This sunday aka November 23rd? I will be down for BBQ since I'm in SLO town
CliffBraun
QUOTE(dw914er @ Nov 17 2008, 11:14 PM) *

which sunday? This sunday aka November 23rd? I will be down for BBQ since I'm in SLO town

yup
buck toenges
Are you using wood with lump charcoal? You are only cooking for 4 hours? How thick is the meat? Whats the recipe?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Nov 18 2008, 09:19 AM) *

Are you using wood with lump charcoal? You are only cooking for 4 hours? How thick is the meat? Whats the recipe?

He's probably barbecuing, not subjecting the poor meat to endless hours of smoke until it finally suffocates. Google "Santa Maria Style BBQ ™" for the answers to your questions. Red oak is involved, NOT charcoal briquettes, and the beef (generally top block or tri-tip) is served rare/med rare. Pork tri-tip and chicken stay on the grille until they're "just" done. The fire is REAL hot, and most meat is done in 20-30 minutes.

The Cap'n
flippa
Santa Maria Tri Tip is good stuff!!! You guys are killing me, I'm drooling on myself over here.

I lived in Santa Maria & Pismo many years ago. I used to drive up to SLO every week for the farmer's market just for the tri tip (and the bars).

You can't get anything even close to that style BBQ back here.

Honestly Cliff, I would help if I were a little closer. So is ther any chance of sending a care package back east?
CliffBraun
You guy's know what happens when you assume....

Actually we use some charcoal (usually fairly good stuff) in the side fire box to burn moist wood chips. I aim for a temp of 175 in the smoking chamber, I pull meat when the internal temp is appropriate. I've found that to be 4-5 hours depending on required doneness. Pork is far longer.

Since the fire temp is so low extra time doesn't really hurt things and adds flavor.

Here's some stuff from the first time I did it that's a bit rarer than I tend to do now.

IPB Image

As far as "recipe" we take uncut tri-tip and ribs and use a rub made from some random stuff. The fat helps keep the meat moist through the hours of torturous heat.

I'm kinda thinking about a marinade for some of this stuff, any suggestions? Keep in mind there's strong flavor coming in from the wood (usually hickory or mesquite, but we've got some wine barrel bits we're gonna burn sunday, probably)

flippa, I'd love to, but I dunno if the logistics will work out.
Cap'n Krusty
Philistine .............. The Cap'n
dw914er
that looks good. put me down smile.gif
Porcharu
That patio looks familiar to me.. where the heck are you. Looks like the east side of town - a little south of downtown. I lived in SLO for 11 years and I love the place.
Steve
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Nov 18 2008, 10:07 PM) *

That patio looks familiar to me.. where the heck are you. Looks like the east side of town - a little south of downtown. I lived in SLO for 11 years and I love the place.
Steve

Off South st.
Elliot Cannon
I'd like to be there. Where are you in SLO?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dw914er @ Nov 18 2008, 05:36 PM) *

"Put you down"? You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny ............... And so's your car.

The Cap'n
dw914er
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 19 2008, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Nov 18 2008, 05:36 PM) *

"Put you down"? You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny ............... And so's your car.

The Cap'n

av-943.gif
hex123
Easy marinade that works great for smoking tri tip and chicken

1 can o beer, 2 parts Lawrys season salt, 1 part paprika, 1/2 part msg (optional) marinate for a day and put on the smoker.

QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Nov 18 2008, 11:22 AM) *

You guy's know what happens when you assume....

Actually we use some charcoal (usually fairly good stuff) in the side fire box to burn moist wood chips. I aim for a temp of 175 in the smoking chamber, I pull meat when the internal temp is appropriate. I've found that to be 4-5 hours depending on required doneness. Pork is far longer.

Since the fire temp is so low extra time doesn't really hurt things and adds flavor.

Here's some stuff from the first time I did it that's a bit rarer than I tend to do now.

IPB Image

As far as "recipe" we take uncut tri-tip and ribs and use a rub made from some random stuff. The fat helps keep the meat moist through the hours of torturous heat.

I'm kinda thinking about a marinade for some of this stuff, any suggestions? Keep in mind there's strong flavor coming in from the wood (usually hickory or mesquite, but we've got some wine barrel bits we're gonna burn sunday, probably)

flippa, I'd love to, but I dunno if the logistics will work out.

Porcharu
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Nov 18 2008, 10:26 PM) *

Steve

Off South st.

One of my professors lived over by you in the Townhomes just off South st. Is the welding shop near you still open?
Steve
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Nov 20 2008, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Nov 18 2008, 10:26 PM) *

Steve

Off South st.

One of my professors lived over by you in the Townhomes just off South st. Is the welding shop near you still open?
Steve

Yup, I hear you're better off driving to Santa Maria for materials though, their prices are pretty high.
Chris Hamilton
You guys are gonna have to let me know how this meat smorking goes.
dw914er
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Nov 21 2008, 09:48 PM) *

You guys are gonna have to let me know how this meat smorking goes.

will do smile.gif

though, that picture says alot chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
CliffBraun
Okay, so I have an obscene amount of meat sitting in beer right now, waiting for tomorrow. I should probably pick up some salad or something and more beer so as to have a balanced meal available for everyone. People should come hungry and prepared to take some meat home with them. I think people are going to show up starting at two or three, I'll be slaving over the grill at noon, so anyone who wants to come and bullshit is welcome to.

On an unrelated note I just got home from a buncha sanding on my 914, I can't wait 'til she's back together. Stuff so far is gorgeous, Steve is kicking ass.

sww914
Get some garlic bread too, cheapass.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 22 2008, 05:42 PM) *

Where can I buy that that I won't have to do any prep? I'm also a lazy ass.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Nov 22 2008, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 22 2008, 05:42 PM) *

Where can I buy that that I won't have to do any prep? I'm also a lazy ass.

Do you have columbo bread down there? They sell the frenchbread pre-garlicked in white plastic bags.
sww914
Yeah, what he said.
markb
chowtime.gif I'm ready. smile.gif
sww914
Makin some potato salad, fun stuff.
This recipe is a custom one that I devised some years ago. The potatoes are cut a bit larger and cooked just a bit firmer than normal, and dressed simply with mayonnaise, garlic, parsley, and jalapeno stuffed green olives with salt & pepper to taste.
I'm excited! the price of jalapeno stuffed olives has been prohibitive so I haven't made this stuff for a year. It's soooo good.
It will pair well with Cliff's dead animal parts and a cold Tecate.
sbonthemesa
We had fun. Came home with a 2+ pound smokie.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(sbonthemesa @ Nov 23 2008, 06:34 PM) *

We had fun. Came home with a 2+ pound smokie.

I want to thank everyone for coming. Everything came out real well and tasty like. It was cool to meet some other owners in the area. We'll have to do a drive and then this again sometime. I could have timed stuff a bit better but I don't feel anyone was too horribly inconvenienced.

Any comments or complaints?
KELTY360
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Nov 23 2008, 07:57 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
CliffBraun
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 23 2008, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Nov 23 2008, 07:57 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry, I was too busy playing host (read: drinking) to get any pics, DW914er got a shot of the finished product on his phone I think. A pic of the 5 tri tips on the grill would have been a good one. We ate three, I sent one down to SB because I felt they deserved a prize for coming up so far, and I've got one left. I feel that for the number of people here I certainly did my part to contribute to obesity in America. Garlic bread went really quick and had damn near lethal amounts of garlic as I made it from scratch.
markb
We need a lying on the couch belching smilie.

I feel I ate my share, and the garlic bread was just right. The jalapeno in the potatoe salad was a surprise. smile.gif

A good day, IMHO.

Thanks Cliff!
CliffBraun
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 23 2008, 08:33 PM) *

We need a lying on the couch belching smilie.

I feel I ate my share, and the garlic bread was just right. The jalapeno in the potatoe salad was a surprise. smile.gif

A good day, IMHO.

Thanks Cliff!

I'm glad you enjoyed. Steve's potato salad was kick ass in more way than one smile.gif .
dw914er
thanks for being a great host. Great food too!!!

I have pictures of the meat on my iphone, i just need to find my cable to sync it

it was really good food though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.