Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Ricard
I bought my Tangerine back when I had a hopped up 2.0L with the intent on building mre power in the future. The 2.0L woke up and made great power.
the 2098cc was even more. and the header handled the power well.
the 2316-210 demands a 1 5/8" tangerine or bigger. So I am very happy with my 1700.00 purchase 3+ years ago.

I also have a Euro Race that will now due service on my 2098 in the track car.
LarryR
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 23 2008, 05:11 PM) *

I bought my Tangerine back when I had a hopped up 2.0L with the intent on building mre power in the future. The 2.0L woke up and made great power.
the 2316-210 demands a 1 5/8" tangerine or bigger. So I am very happy with my 1700.00 purchase 3+ years ago.

Hey Joe,

Was that wake up from stock or another aftermarket exhaust?

Larry
turnaround89
Ok, now i got it, however i was also reading about the radius of the bends and how that can affect performance. Some people said that the longer the radius of the bend, the better and easier the flow of exhaust gas out. Looking at all the exhausts designed for the 914 they have a lot of sharp bends. Should i make my exhaust around the idea of making all the tubes being the same length with tight bends or worry more about getting larger bends in the exhaust for better gas flow?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Nov 23 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Should i make my exhaust around the idea of making all the tubes being the same length with tight bends or worry more about getting larger bends in the exhaust for better gas flow?

Yes! laugh.gif
Every system designer makes compromises. The ones you make will be based on your abilities, the materials you buy, and the people you have helping you.
turnaround89
Alright, that makes sense. Where is the easiest place to find the tubing i will need, do muffler shops sell the stuff or will i have to order it from somewhere?

That should be the last question until i start actually building the exhaust system! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
biggy72
I like using spd exhaust. They are relatively inexpensive and I like getting J bends because they have quite a bit of straight pipe on each bend along with the entire 180 degree bend.

I haven't had much time lately to look up the websites I used to design our exhaust on the formula car, but unlike what Jake said your ideal primary length will depend on lots of things like bore, stroke, cam duration, tubing diameter, 4-1 or 4-2-1 header, and how you want your power band to react.

As far as construction goes just try to make all of the transitions as smooth as possible. Whenever welding the pipes together try to clean the insides out as best as possible. The easiest way to start the exhaust would be to cut the flanges off of an old set of heat exchangers. I made all of the parts for the formula car, but we had a lathe to make all of the parts.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 23 2008, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 23 2008, 05:11 PM) *

Hey Joe,

Was that wake up from stock or another aftermarket exhaust?

Larry

Had SSI and Bursch prior to Tangerine. oh heck yea big difference. My co-driver at the time asked if I put a new motor in it.
LarryR
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 25 2008, 08:00 AM) *

Had SSI and Bursch prior to Tangerine. oh heck yea big difference. My co-driver at the time asked if I put a new motor in it.

Cool, anyone have some dyno results with and without these headers. The one thing I really miss about the american car scene is the hot rod / car craft (yea this probably lets you know I am an old fart b/c I dont even see these around much any more) engine build up articles and the compare and contrast with available options.

It sure would be cool if Excellence or grass roots would do those kind of articles...

a 914 2.0 with X, Y, and Z exhaust. It sure does help to justify expenditures when you can see the results before you buy the idea.

Larry
DTMLGND
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 23 2008, 05:17 PM) *

Here is Paragon products complete system.
This is a basic and well tested 4 into 1 (4-1) system.
The muffler is a simple hush thrush eight cylinder muffler with a custom tailipipe to fit through the lower rear valance.
The megaphone (cone shaped piece on the right of the muffler) would be bolted on to replace the muffler to make it really loud...

This system comes with stub pipes...the little short pipes that are in the top left of the photo.
the stub pipes bolt to the head, then the header bolts to the stub pipes.
The stub pipes make it alot easier to remove and replace the header and not disturb the head studs...which tend to come loose if you mess with them to many times.

Rich

I have this on my new acquisition! biggrin.gif I am excited to get it started and hear this exhaust system.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 21 2008, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:44 PM) *

Find yourself some used stainless heat exchangers for 300 or so and be done with it. No rust, never paint. Get a bursch muffler. This is what many people here run. PM me if interested I have a friend that has a pair of these stainless that are made for the 1.7/1.8. I don't know what he wants for them , but I bet it would be in that 300-350 range.

But what kind of fun is that? biggrin.gif

agree.gif don’t let em discourage you. It isn’t as though you don’t know what the easy route is.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DTMLGND @ Oct 17 2018, 04:01 PM) *

I have this on my new acquisition! biggrin.gif I am excited to get it started and hear this exhaust system.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Looks like a EuroRace. I had one for a number of years. Its a good system, but not a great system. Sounds good though. I changed out of it as I wanted to be able to add heat to defog my windshield. Still have not done that yet. One of these days.

Zach
porschetub
Really if people look @ whats for sale they tend to say wow that's a price.but the work the maker puts in from development etc puts in is a fair chunk of what you are paying.
IMO anything you can build yourself will be a compromise ,however don't be put off and go for it .
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 17 2018, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 21 2008, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:44 PM) *

Find yourself some used stainless heat exchangers for 300 or so and be done with it. No rust, never paint. Get a bursch muffler. This is what many people here run. PM me if interested I have a friend that has a pair of these stainless that are made for the 1.7/1.8. I don't know what he wants for them , but I bet it would be in that 300-350 range.

But what kind of fun is that? biggrin.gif

agree.gif don’t let em discourage you. It isn’t as though you don’t know what the easy route is.

Thread is 10 years old.
maf914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2018, 04:11 AM) *

Thread is 10 years old.

laugh.gif Yes it is!

And not much has really changed on the 914 exhaust scene. idea.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 18 2018, 09:50 AM) *

Thread is 10 years old.

laugh.gif Yes it is!

Except that the Tangerine Exhaust has been further improved. smile.gif
I doubt any development has been done to the other 914 "performance" exhaust systems.

This picture is from 2013, already different from the 2008 version, and I've just started building systems with some subtle new changes.
Click to view attachment
914GTSTI
If you can weld you can build a system. This is not a 914 but I used some of the old system.

IPB Image

If you have the old system you have some parts to work from.
falcor75
I'm going to be trying to do my own system in the future Winters. I'd love the Tangerine system but when you add the heat option and then another 35% for shipping and customs fee's its worth trying myself. Plus I have a Scart banana muffler that I dont want to give up the sound of. The goal is to build a Stainless system thats less restrictive than the stock 2.0 heaterboxes and still retains the heat on both sides and uses stub pipes for easy removal.
914GTSTI
So get to work . Here is another system.

IPB Image
maf914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Oct 18 2018, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 18 2018, 09:50 AM) *

Thread is 10 years old.

laugh.gif Yes it is!

Except that the Tangerine Exhaust has been further improved. smile.gif
I doubt any development has been done to the other 914 "performance" exhaust systems.

Okay Chris, I stand corrected. My fault. laugh.gif

Oh, and by the way, in recent advertisements, Bursch has indicated that its systems are now coated with high-temp paint! Does that qualify as new development? idea.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.