Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got rained on and now it wont start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
OK, so I drove my 914 to work and got dumped on with rain.

When I went out to the car I tried to start it like normal and It acts like the ignition switch is broken.
When I turn the key to "on" everything works but when I turn to "start" I just get this click.

The storm was unexpected and most of my seals are shot so there was a significant amount of leakage in the car and in the engine compartment.

I havent replaced the ignition switch yet but I wonder if this is the problem or if it could be a wiring issue.

any sure ways to test?

flag.gif
Jeroen
This may sound stoopidly simple, but since you say you only hear a "click"...
Did you check your battery?

cheers,

Jeroen
echocanyons
Yeah I checked the voltage and it was normal I am fairly confident that its not the battery.
The click I hear is from under the dash more than from the starter and is separate from the fuel pump.

I was reading the PP article on this and the relay under the seat(although bypassed the wires may have been corroded or grounding out.) Ill have to check that tonight

Thanks
Bruce Allert
When I bought my 914 it didn't have a cover for the relays in the engine compartment. My mechanic stressed getting a cover. Well, wouldn't you know it,... twice before getting a cover on the relays I was dumped on and twice I had to be towed home. It was the relays ... all wet & shorting out. I dried them all w/ a hair dryer but, before I did that, all I got was clicking sad.gif
bruce
Mark Henry
On the battery issue clean you terminals, I've had many a good battery not work because of dirty terminals. Also unbolt the ground cable and sand to bare metal and replace. Take your jack and SAFETY STANDS. Remove the wire on the starter and scrape the connector blade clean with a knife and if you want unbolt the big wire and clean it as well. Check/unbolt/sand the ground on the tranny.

If this still doesn't work you could do the ol' screwdriver across the solenoid terminal trick to rule out the starter. This could also be used to start the car and get you home. If all this fails then you are on to the switch and stuff inside the car. Good luck
smash.gif
echocanyons
Some good input guys I will put the info to use tonight when I get a home.

in regards to the starter test by bridging the circuits, there are three or four circuits of the starter sloenoid and I tried to bridge two of them and just got the whirr of the solenoid which terminals am I supposed to bridge?
silver six
Depending on your starter you either have two big nuts and two blade connectors or you have two big nuts and a single blade connector (with multiple little wires connecting to the blades). In any case just hope to god you have two big nuts.

Connecting the two big nuts will only spin the starter but not engage the solenoid (if I remember right). You need to connect the little blade to the big nut with the power cable attached to it. I wish you and your big nuts luck.

Douglas
echocanyons
Turns out it was the starter.

It really just stopped working it didnt give any prior notice at all.

I guess I am spending the rest of the weekend removing the seats and the carpet and drying everything.

Next on my list weather seals!

Thanks for all the feedback
Aaron Cox
well what do you know...i had the same problem. I have a relay board cover out back. turned out to be the ignition switch (15 buckaroos from PP) also go and clean and respring alll your fuses up front.

hope this helps driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.