Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slick914
Does it require a puller or does it come off easily once unbolted?
jonferns
Once the retaining nut is loosened, you should be able to wiggle it off.
Slick914
Great, thanks!
boxstr
Just a quick note. Loosen the nut, but don't remove it completely. That way when you are trying to remove the wheel it won't bang you in the mouth.
Ask me why I make this suggestion.
CCLINMOUTHFULLOFWHEEL
Slick914
Nice tip.

I'm certain it saved me from a battle wound. smile.gif
wertygrog
And don't forget to mark the spined shaft with respect to the steering wheel so it gets positioned right when you go to put it on....

...this from the guy who drives around with a misaligned steering wheel lol. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 23 2008, 11:56 AM) *

Just a quick note. Loosen the nut, but don't remove it completely. That way when you are trying to remove the wheel it won't bang you in the mouth.

I.... I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Zach
boxstr
Yeah.. it only takes one time to learn that lesson.
CCLINSMASHMOUTH
markb
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 23 2008, 09:07 PM) *

Yeah.. it only takes one time to learn that lesson.
CCLINSMASHMOUTH

Some of us don't learn that fast. dry.gif

biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
You folks don't just drive around with the wheel on the shaft without the nut on tightly? You can find a long, straight section of a seldom used road, and align the wheel on the shaft to its straightest position, then tighten the nut for the final install. I'd leave the nut on at least loosly, as I also have learned the hard way in tugging on stubborn steering wheels!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.