Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter storage questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I'll be storing my car in a week or so for the winter and I want to make sure I'm covering all the bases. My storage area is dry but unheated. The car will be stored for about 4 months.

Fill gas tank, use Sta-bil and run the motor to get it throughout the fuel system.
Inflate tires to the max.
Rodent traps on top of the tires.
Cover the exhaust tip.
Open the doors and trunk lips a bit.
Remove battery.

Should I put a bit of oil (Brad Penn of course) in each cylinder and crank the motor over? I do this for all my other gas powered items. I know Rich Towle is going to tell me to just keep driving it thru the winter but I need my garage bay so I can disassemble my '74 2.0. biggrin.gif
r_towle
Drive it you woosey.

Moth balls on the floors.
Remove the flex tube to the HE and cap off the hole into the long with a spray can cover and clamp...

They love to eat there way into the heating system via that tube and then live inside the long...and that smells.

Also, traps and moth balls under the hood, under the windshield...another favorite place for mice to move in...both corners under the windshield seems to be a nice place to make a home.

You could just drive it...
I am all set up with snow tires, ready to go.
Maybe if I get the short stick to get Ax at school I will take the teener and drop by some snowy day around the holidays...before or after..depends upon when I need to go get him.

Rich
championgt1
Looks like a good list to me. I am not sure about the oil in the cylinders. Is that necessary?
Pat Garvey
Spider traps! They work.

I get mine from the the dealer that services our store. Little white "homes", where they go in to warm up - don't come out alive.

Jeez, I hate spiders!
Pat
sixnotfour
Also, traps and moth balls under the hood, under the windshield...another favorite place for mice to move in...both corners under the windshield seems to be a nice place to make a home.

The mice enter through the hole below the fuel tank, they jump up on gravel panel and come up through the fuel tank access hole.
justme
As far as rodents go those large car "bags" work well for a budy of mine that put's his cars in his barn over in Hadley.
Peanutbutter on the old snap traps works well on my country mice. But my cars are in the old attached garage, carpet & heat.
My wife actually had the nut's to ask me if I wanted to put the Porsche's in storage so she could park her car in the garage av-943.gif
Gint
Just curious...

Even in a state like Mass, aren't the roads dry enough once every couple of weeks or so that you could drive a 914?
r_towle
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 24 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Just curious...

Even in a state like Mass, aren't the roads dry enough once every couple of weeks or so that you could drive a 914?

Yes, but they are ALWAYS covered in salt...
I drive and I use the car wash regularly

Rich
rjames
Fill gas tank, use Sta-bil and run the motor to get it throughout the fuel system.

How long does a car have to sit before one should use some sort of gas stabilizer?

Mark Henry
Gas starts to go bad the second you fill a tank, in about 4-6 weeks or less you'll start to smell it.

All of the above plus:

For mice I use dryer sheets, smell better than mothballs too.
(be warned that if you use dryer sheets in the engine bay the fan will suck them in.)

Instead of oil I fog the engine with engine storage spray, I use quicksilver, mercury outboard storage spray.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2008, 10:58 AM) *

Just curious...

Yes, but they are ALWAYS covered in salt...
I drive and I use the car wash regularly

Rich

Car wash! Regularly! OMG! You allow water to touch a 914?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

'72 914 - original owner - no rain/water since 1975. Dry wash only.

Yes, I am certifiable! But fuzzy.
Pat
ejm

Just curious...

Yup

justme
QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 24 2008, 06:27 PM) *

Just curious...

Yup

Hey Ed,
Is that Sugerloaf in the background?
ejm
Mount Lizzie at the Quabbin
r_towle
Looked a bit short for the loaf.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 24 2008, 06:27 PM) *

Just curious...

Yup

Dang! that looks like a section of two lane on the way to Ely MN. Mine is in storage. Stay-Bil. I think I need to cap the heater tubes yet. But I may take it out for a short run today. I still have the insurance on it.
justme
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 25 2008, 06:26 AM) *

Rich

Leave it to Rich to compare the size of his loaf stromberg.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(justme @ Nov 25 2008, 07:22 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 25 2008, 06:26 AM) *

Rich

Leave it to Rich to compare the size of his loaf stromberg.gif

Size matters baby....
At least I wont be driving a pink car.....geez
Rich
tod914
Maybe put a vapor barrier on the garage floor to minimize the condensation
on the bottom of the car.
Ericv1
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 25 2008, 08:38 PM) *

Maybe put a vapor barrier on the garage floor to minimize the condensation
on the bottom of the car.

Do you guys get condensation in the winter? It's pretty cold and dry in Ohio. I usually don't see condensation until spring.

Pat.. What's the drywash that your referring to? Thanks, Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.