Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: firewall (internal) insulation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
Is the tarish/rubber padding behind the backpad and glued to the firewall worth keeping? I'm assuming it's mainly for sound insulation.

Would I be better off replacing it with Dynamat type insulation?

I've had to scrape the tar off the floors under the seats - and will be replacing that with Dynamat type insulation ... why not do more?

Doors too?

Actually I'll be using RAAMmat BXT - if there are any opinions out there...
So.Cal.914
I have seen sound mat used in the doors, on the firewall, and the floor. But I will pass this along sense you live where it rains. Our cars leak, some of them Really leak. The reason the floors rust out on a regular basis is because of these leaks. I have heard more than once not to put anything on the floor that will absorb water and hold it there. If you will not drive it in the rain then no problem. And Welcome.
StratPlayer
I used aviation soundproofing, it comes in sheets various thickness. It works great, light weight and very efficient. I bought a sheet of this stuff on ebay a long time ago, heres a site with basically the same product. It didn't interfere with the back pad install what so ever.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/soundproof.html
VaccaRabite
I went with Raamat with mine. The layer of foil helps with sound deadening. I am not going to do the engine side of the firewall unless the noise is really bad, and I think I'd do a second layer on the cabin side before I put a layer on the engine side. in the event of a fire, it would also be less of something that might burn.

Zach
southernmost914
IMHO. Use the original mat and seal the edges with 3m 5200, top and sides, but not the bottom. It is a good sound deadening product, and original.

Steve
carr914
I used two layers of RAAMmat, a layer of their foam and then a layer of Perlon to look like the 914-6 GTs, no problems, pretty easy install.

T.C.

zeezee, welcome.png
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Dec 2 2008, 06:39 PM) *

IMHO. Use the original mat and seal the edges with 3m 5200, top and sides, but not the bottom. It is a good sound deadening product, and original.

Steve

I have 2 original mats and was thinking about using them. I like the idea of not gluing the lower edge. Should moisture collect behind the mat, it has a way out. Sound like good advice.
burton73
The stuff on the floor is totally different than the stuff on the firewall. When I put the new product on the floor it was a tar like material and the back pad was a fiber of some kind I can see where the firewall material could soak up water from a leak in the rear window.

On my 6 , I went with factory Wurth stuff. Description Of Product:
The original German made material in heatable-beatable sheets. When installed, it duplicates the original sound deadening for the perfect concours look. One package completes one side. wurth FLOOR PAN TAR INSULATING KIT; 914 1970-76 I got it from AA.

Bob welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.