Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kylefisk
I'm trying to set up an oil cooler on a 77 2.7 going in my 914. where is the best place to find fittings, thermastat, tanks, coolers, etc. i figure barbed fittings should work, at least until I can afford to sink money into AN fittings and lines, but I'm having a hard time finding parts that will work and be cheap. how much of a cooler do I need. I have a B&M 70266 in the shop somewhere with a 2100 cfm fan that will fit it. my biggest problem is finding a fitting that goes from the engine (20mm x 1.5) to a 3/8 barb. any ideas? thanks
carr914
welcome.png Where in Florida are you? If you aren't going to track the car, I would run it with the factory cooler and wait til you can afford the correct lines and fittings to do an auxillery cooler.

T.C.
jc914
welcome.png
wertygrog
welcome.png
McMark
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com has a lot of good parts. I've used their coolers and like them a lot. Make sure that the external cooler is rubber mounted to the chassis. Minor chassis flex can crack a solid mounted cooler.

This is on a Bug, but you can see the rubber strap mounts on the chassis:
IPB Image

This is SirAndy's oil cooler for his 3.6 914. The cooler is not actually 'mounted' to anything. It's clamped into place with rubber in between the clamps and the cooler.
IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
As I said on the other site where you asked the same question, 3/8ths line isn't gonna get it. It's waaaaaaaay too small, and you're running the risk of destroying your engine. There's a reason they used a 22mm fitting, and it's not because that's what they had laying around. The Cap'n
Dominic
Don't go cheap on your oil cooling system, its the heart of your engine.

Try racer parts wholesale, they sell aeroquip fittings and hose at good prices. If not try to find deals here and there on ebay.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/categor...roquip_Fittings

They also have the metric to AN fittings.

That 20mm to AN-12/AN-16 (can't recall the size) fitting is available, just do a search.

Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.