Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: to weld or not to weld
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
I have some rust under the seats (surprise!). I had planned to just use "POR15 Patch" on.
But maybe I should get a couple of these patched with steel&weld?

Welding is beyond my capabilities so I'd have to find a local shop to do it - I don't like others messing with my car plus $$ sad.gif

Opinions?

Driversside...
Click to view attachment

Driverside firewall...
Click to view attachment

Pass. firewall/door corner...
Click to view attachment

Possible structural issues with this one...
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Looks like you had some water sitting on those floor pans for a while ...

That needs to be welded! welder.gif

Find someone who is good with a welder and preferably has worked on a 914 before. I'm not sure who's out there with you in "the schticks" but if the car runs, drive it up to Napa and drop it off at McMark's Shop. His work is top notch and affordable.

http://www.paintandmetal.com/

bye1.gif Andy
ericread
Looks to me that you don't have much of a choice - that needs to be repaired by welding. If it was the rear trunk area, then who cares? But this is where your Butt sits. You certainly don't to experience a floor failure here.

Eric Read
Larouex
QUOTE(zeezee @ Dec 3 2008, 07:58 PM) *

I have some rust under the seats (surprise!). I had planned to just use "POR15 Patch" on.
But maybe I should get a couple of these patched with steel&weld?

Welding is beyond my capabilities so I'd have to find a local shop to do it - I don't like others messing with my car plus $$ sad.gif

Looking at the rust you have around the inner-longs and the pan... Have you dug into the hell-hole and other areas on the ourside rockers to get a full evaluation of the rust damage you are dealing with?

Having seen a similiar pattern in two cars I have bought, I was optimistic until I really knew all the places.

As far a welding goes, it is expensive to have someone do it. You can be your own fixer for a little less than $700.00 and with a little practice, you can tackle a lot of the fixes that you see on these forums.

But still you need to know for yourself that your structure is not weakened. Your initial damage in the floorpan looked a lot like mine... <s/>
r_towle
bbbbbbbbbbb
ConeDodger
That needs to be welded. I second the McMark nomination... But be warned. He sometimes dresses funny. By the way, someone dropped a bunch of quarters in your car!
LarryR
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2008, 08:22 PM) *

That needs to be welded. I second the McMark nomination... But be warned. He sometimes dresses funny. By the way, someone dropped a bunch of quarters in your car!

agree.gif its a bird no its a plane no its super Mark able to weld up rusty 914's in a single bound ... well worth the drop off in napa
zeezee
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2008, 08:22 PM) *

Yes - found lots of goodies: loose change, original open-end wrench, original bolts, nuts, washers, screw hole plugs (all very useful), paint brush, and a finger nail (not so useful)
VaccaRabite
To big for POR.

Cut and Weld.

Zach
Spoke
QUOTE(Larouex @ Dec 3 2008, 11:08 PM) *

As far a welding goes, it is expensive to have someone do it. You can be your own fixer for a little less than $700.00 and with a little practice, you can tackle a lot of the fixes that you see on these forums.

agree.gif

If you like to work on your own car, buy a welder. By the time you pay someone for those repairs, you will have paid for a welder. It's not hard to learn to weld and it is fun to fix things like this.

After I got my welder, I fixed a few items on my 914 and looked around the house for other things I could weld. I've now repaired 4 mufflers: 1 for my 914, one for a BMW, one for a VW bus, and my Audi; mostly hanger repair.
IronHillRestorations
That's way beyond anything you can buy from POR15. You've got a lot of corrosion there, and I'm 100% sure there's more you haven't found yet, or just can't see. If I was in CA, I'd try to find a solid southern CA donor chassis. Yes, it can be repaired, but it ain't gonna be cheap!
charliew
If I were you I would dig all the sealer out on the inside to make sure thats all you have. The rest of the car needs a real good going over because you might spend 2500.00 and then find even more a little later and before you know it you think you can't afford it. Look for bumps under the vinyl on the top, bubled paint in the door jambs, and any added undercoat from someone before you. Be real sure you check the longs and the hell hole as someone has already mentioned. It already looks like you need to learn how to do metal replacement to make it affordable. Good luck
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 4 2008, 11:37 AM) *

Yes, it can be repaired, but it ain't gonna be cheap!

I'm at $662 in steel and $584 for a welder so far... and that includes some good deals on steel...
jd74914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Dec 4 2008, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 4 2008, 11:37 AM) *

Yes, it can be repaired, but it ain't gonna be cheap!

I'm at $662 in steel and $584 for a welder so far... and that includes some good deals on steel...

Don't let that scare you. For me the welder was the most expensive part. I was able to get most of my steel for free from dumps/scrap yards in the form of wrecked car sheet metal. You just can't mind sanding off the original paint or hand-forming your own panels. smile.gif
zeezee
Sealer has been dug out and there isn't anymore inside - the pictures show all of it. No problems with the "hell hole(s)". I'm afraid to look under the rocker panels.

I guess I'll take the car to a local shop and see what they can do. And start shopping around for a welder and maybe some classes.

Thanks for the feedback.

sww914
How much do you want for the fingernail? smile.gif
brant
ouch...

a reputable shop
really any shop whose work I would care for at all.... is going to make that a 2g repair....

buy a welder and learn to do it yourself.
b
VaccaRabite
Get a welder and just start practicing. Many of us here have done exactly that. Classes are good, but you probably don't need that level of instruction.

Zach
rjames
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 5 2008, 08:16 AM) *

Get a welder and just start practicing. Many of us here have done exactly that. Classes are good, but you probably don't need that level of instruction.

Zach

If I can do it, anyone can. I took a weekend welding class offered through a local community college. I learned some good things to get me started then practiced a bunch on scrap pieces before touching the car. YOU CAN DO IT!

zeezee
OK - I'll give welding a try.

What kind of welding am I doing? MIG? Will a $270 arc welder do?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100041326
Cevan
QUOTE(zeezee @ Dec 4 2008, 07:02 PM) *

Sealer has been dug out and there isn't anymore inside - the pictures show all of it. No problems with the "hell hole(s)". I'm afraid to look under the rocker panels.

I guess I'll take the car to a local shop and see what they can do. And start shopping around for a welder and maybe some classes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would suggest looking under those rocker panels. I think you'll find some more work to do. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Larouex
QUOTE(zeezee @ Dec 5 2008, 10:05 AM) *

OK - I'll give welding a try.

What kind of welding am I doing? MIG? Will a $270 arc welder do?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100041326

I am sure everyone has their favorite here, I ended up with a Lincoln 140C and continous voltage so I could do a wide variety of things. It was recommened by an old time restorer buddy and it has been really simple, easy to dial in and drop dead simple to maintain and set up. I ordered from here...
http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/me...ct_Code=K2471-1

I documented my project @
http://larryj.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPa...%2bEV%2bProject

I am a total newbie and feel like I am making progress when just 4 months ago I was in the same place you are. Mind you I invested in some goodies like a Rotisserie, but that was because I want to do more in the future.

Cheers,
Larouex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.