tod914
Nate, is your china made in china?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 8 2008, 06:41 PM) *

av-943.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Dec 7 2008, 07:32 AM) *

Where should we spend our economic stimulus money? If you spend it at Wal-Mart, it will go to china. If you buy some electronics, it will go to japan. If you buy gas, it will go to the middle east. So spend your money at garage sales- because those are the only businesses still based in America!

don't forget this quote guys - because he buys it at garage sales he is totally fine av-943.gif It was the bastard selling the used China that sold us out to China ahahahaha
beech4rd
QUOTE(brer @ Dec 8 2008, 11:47 AM) *

I bought some valves for a 912
said Germany on the box
inside on the valve was a little sticker that said South Afrika.

huh.gif

Volkswagen has been building cars and vans in South Africa since the 1950s and the quality of the vehicles is very high. They are very resourceful- for instance they installed water-cooled VW Golf engines in their local version of the Vanagon and it was considerably more powerful than the US version. Mercedes builds most of the right hand drive C Class MBs for Britain, Australia and Japan there.
I have a great Vise Grip that I discovered risted solid to the trunk of a 914 parts car I bought. Freed it from the trunk, soaked in it PB blaster for a day and it's been fine since then. Made in the USA 30 years ago.
Have to agree that people that use tools to earn a living tend to buy US and European manufactured because of the quality and those that plan to use that screwdriver twice a year buy Asian. My business inviolves working with wood and most of our tools are German, Italian and US built. Even Japanese tools, while reasonably good and very reliable, don't have the out and out quality of a German tool.

Chris
turboman808
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 8 2008, 06:41 PM) *

HAHA The sad thing is I know the history of most of my antiques better then I will ever admit.
URY914
I only buy US made stuff at garage sales.
hcdmueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Dec 9 2008, 02:52 AM) *

What happens is these younger people get their parents estate when they die and just don't want this stuff. I move in and buy(they probably spend it at walmart). I pay cash and pennies on the dollar while my neighbors are struggling to pay the credit card they drove up on Ikea crap they already threw out.

This sounds like what is going on all over Europe. My wife and I have been buying up all sorts of old (30-50yrs old) oak furniture. We bought an oak dinner table recently that is in nearly perfect condition and weighs so much two people can't lift it. The whole continent is getting rid of their hand made quality household goods and is going to IKEA and other "modern furniture" stores. It is like everyone went crazy. I am pretty young, but I don't understand this idea that everything is disposable. I buy nice things once. Way easier and usually cheaper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.