Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch cable nuts, what size and thread are they?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
anyone know what size/ thread the nuts are on the adjusting end near the transmission. I just installed a new clutch cable and dont want to take it back out to find out.......

Heading to lowes, i appreciate it.

Dave_Darling
M7, but I forget the thread pitch. Regular M8 nuts (the ones you use a 13mm wrench on) will hold for about one-half of a press of the pedal, at which point they will let go and fly off, bouncing all around the garage...

--DD
Larry.Hubby
They're 7mm x 1mm pitch.
911quest
QUOTE(Larry Hubby @ Dec 7 2008, 01:42 PM) *

They're 7mm x 1mm pitch.

The same nut that holds the rocker shaft to the head on a type-4
GeorgeRud
If you need some, McMaster-Carr stocks that size. I've never seen 7mm nuts at the local hardware stores.

It's one of those parts that would be nice to include with a new clutch cable, as you have a hard time buying just one 7mm nut. I have always used two on my clutch cable so they can be jammed together to prevent movement. Otherwise, a locknut version is required (again, not that easy to find). I haven't tried the local Porsche Dealer, but they may have them in stock (or perhaps the local VW dealer).
jd74914
The local Sears Hardware carried 7mm nuts (BTDT).
sww914
I got some at my local Ace Hardware, a quarter a piece or so.
budman5201
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 7 2008, 07:41 PM) *

I got some at my local Ace Hardware, a quarter a piece or so.

thanks guys.....i ended up cutting and old cable out of my parts car and taking it down. ace hardware!! It was 7x1.00.
thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.