I like the 911 drain plug idea.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 11 2008, 08:28 AM) *

I like the 911 drain plug idea.

+1,000,000

pete
greenie
Hello All,

I received a PM from Don Welch of DWDesign regarding his Repro Oil Tank.

He has relocated and been very busy with his new job.

He has mixed feelings regarding his product, he's not sure if he is going to continue with it.

He is currently exploring the cost to continue the manufacture of the tank but no decision has been made on whether he will continue with it or not.

He will have an answer for me in mid-January.

As stated in my first post " I just need a tank at an affordable price."

I think I (we) owe it to Don to let him make the decision, at this point I'm going to wait for his decision before I proceed.

Don has seen this thread, I welcome Don to post his thoughts on this topic.
sixnotfour
Curt, good bird dogging .
messix
ah...... however competition is good for business and the consumer poke.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 15 2008, 05:39 PM) *

Hello All,

I received a PM from Don Welch of DWDesign regarding his Repro Oil Tank.

He has relocated and been very busy with his new job.

He has mixed feelings regarding his product, he's not sure if he is going to continue with it.

He is currently exploring the cost to continue the manufacture of the tank but no decision has been made on whether he will continue with it or not.

He will have an answer for me in mid-January.

As stated in my first post " I just need a tank at an affordable price."

I think I (we) owe it to Don to let him make the decision, at this point I'm going to wait for his decision before I proceed.

Don has seen this thread, I welcome Don to post his thoughts on this topic.

How about doing at least one group buy round while your waiting? beerchug.gif
rktmn247
After missing out on a few original tanks in the classifieds and on ebay I tried to find one of Don's tanks. The only place I could find one was from Patrick Motorsports. Not knowing if Don was going to make any more I kind of panicked and dropped a grand so now I have one. I just wish there was a less expensive alternative. I would like to see what you could produce and what it would cost.
sww914
I have hesitated to respond to this thread. I am very good friends with Don and I helped him build the tanks once and I did a group buy for you guys and for him a few months ago. I hesitated because one of you is trying to negotiate something with Don and I don't want to involve myself in your negotiations at all.
Having helped him (minimally) build a run of the tanks I must tell you that these things are not cheap or easy to build. There are a LOT of parts and there is a lot of labor involved. I know that if some of you guys think that these things just throw themselves together with $10.00 worth of materials you're very wrong. If you think that he was raping us with the prices you're wrong about that, too. He didn't ever plan to get rich on these things, he was primarily developing a product that he wanted and that he knew that we could use too and maybe make some money to build his own car at the same time.
In order to sell a product you must have distributors in most cases. If you sell direct to the customers you cannot undercut the distributor's prices or they will never buy from you again. To be able to make tanks and sell them he had to make some money himself and still be able to sell them to distributors at a price that they could make money as well. You might say, well, he could have just sold them all to us and not used a distributor at all and saved us a bunch of money. That might be true, but not all 914 owners visit 914 world. In order to reach as many potential customers as possible who are trying to build a nice car as we all are it is necessary to use distributors so that anyone who is looking for a 914-6 oil tank can get one.
LarryR
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 15 2008, 07:56 PM) *

I have hesitated to respond to this thread. I am very good friends with Don and I helped him build the tanks once and I did a group buy for you guys and for him a few months ago. I hesitated because one of you is trying to negotiate something with Don and I don't want to involve myself in your negotiations at all.
Having helped him (minimally) build a run of the tanks I must tell you that these things are not cheap or easy to build. There are a LOT of parts and there is a lot of labor involved. I know that if some of you guys think that these things just throw themselves together with $10.00 worth of materials you're very wrong. If you think that he was raping us with the prices you're wrong about that, too. He didn't ever plan to get rich on these things, he was primarily developing a product that he wanted and that he knew that we could use too and maybe make some money to build his own car at the same time.
In order to sell a product you must have distributors in most cases. If you sell direct to the customers you cannot undercut the distributor's prices or they will never buy from you again. To be able to make tanks and sell them he had to make some money himself and still be able to sell them to distributors at a price that they could make money as well. You might say, well, he could have just sold them all to us and not used a distributor at all and saved us a bunch of money. That might be true, but not all 914 owners visit 914 world. In order to reach as many potential customers as possible who are trying to build a nice car as we all are it is necessary to use distributors so that anyone who is looking for a 914-6 oil tank can get one.

Precisely why we could use a group buy from someone not tied to any retailers yet. I was silently hoping to be able to get a tank for around 500 but it is clear that they would take a lot of work to put together.

rktmn247
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 15 2008, 04:56 PM) *

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to say that Don's tank was over priced. If that is what it cost to make, and what he needed for it to be a viable venture. Great. I would never begrudge anyone a profit for their efforts. I purchased through Patrick Motorsports ebay ad and the cost of the tank by it self was $795.00. I am very happy to have it. All I was saying, was that if some enterprising person found a way to lower their production costs and could offer a similar quality tank it would be a good thing for the community. Again not taking anything away from Don.
messix
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 15 2008, 04:56 PM) *

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to say that Don's tank was over priced. If that is what it cost to make, and what he needed for it to be a viable venture. Great. I would never begrudge anyone a profit for their efforts. I purchased through Patrick Motorsports ebay ad and the cost of the tank by it self was $795.00. I am very happy to have it. All I was saying, was that if some enterprising person found a way to lower their production costs and could offer a similar quality tank it would be a good thing for the community. Again not taking anything away from Don.

agree.gif what he said.

should no one but tarret offer sway bars? no hard feelings but i don't think Curt would dissect Don's tank and copy it. if he comes up with a better or worse version for less money so be it. Curt and others need a tank soon or now and if he has the resources to build one why shouldn't he. at the same time he could also make some for those that need them, rather than wait till Don can get around to making some? trying to out bid a fellow 914er for a tank on evil bay when one comes available at a very inflated price is hard to take.

just my .02
sixnotfour
Its like any other market when there is a need some one fills it. I think Curt even contacting Don shows he is just trying to possibly fill the void.
I believe if Curt could buy one today for the 600-850( that Don's complete setups sold for on ebay) he would buy one in a heart beat and not even look at producing one.
If Don goes back in production great , If Curt bulids 10 or any one else great.
I bought one of Don,s setups on ebay, great quality pieces.
If some more turn up at a great deal I will buy one of those too.
I even used a Peterson round tank.

Lets face it they are all copies of the factory tank.
Curt has the factory drawing.

greenie
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 15 2008, 09:37 PM) *

Its like any other market when there is a need some one fills it. I think Curt even contacting Don shows he is just trying to possibly fill the void.
I believe if Curt could buy one today for the 600-850( that Don's complete setups sold for on ebay) he would buy one in a heart beat and not even look at producing one.

agree.gif

LarryR
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 15 2008, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 15 2008, 09:37 PM) *

agree.gif

Plus my favorite picture just because!

So does this mean you are going to make the group buy build ... you cant post a pair like that and then say no beerchug.gif
greenie
An update on this subject...

In a nutshell:

I needed a tank and could not find one at a reasonable cost. I have the resources to build one but really prefer not to.

I posted this thread, if I add up the guy's that said they would buy one if I were to make them there were three or four commitments. Not bad but not great for my time & expense.

My best buddy sixnotfour pray.gif alerts me that a brand new tank has just been posted for $400.00 in our classifieds by THOMAS. I just got confirmation & it's a done deal.

Unless Dave ( DW Design ) decides to stop making these ( he is thinking about this) I believe I'm onto the next obstacle.

I'm sorry for the guy's that are still looking ( LarryR) but I think DW Design is your best hope at this point.

Thanks to all who got involved on this subject.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.