Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a later 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 16 2004, 07:32 PM)
What does the "Book" say when VW told Porsche they were  pulling the plug on the 914 production line.
My friend says he was at that meeting in Germany when that happened but doesn't remember when it was. Lots of upset people at that meeting he said.

they were already thinking about the 914 successor in 1972.

from the book:

========================
in 1972 the "VW-Porsche VG" started planning the 924, but instead of using as many VW parts as possible (like with the 914) this time the plan was to use as much Audi parts as possible.

the VW executives knew at the time that their contract with posche would most likely not be renewed (by the end of '75) but they still contracted porsche to design the 924.
the plan was to market the car as a "Audi Coupe" ...

then the leading force behid the 924, Mr. Leiding died in '74 and his successor did not approve of the Audi umbrella for the 924. the project was stopped.

after finally reaching a compromise in '75, the 924 was shown to the press in 1975 as the "Porsche 924" at a car-show in France.

the production of the 914 was stopped and the focus was shifted onto selling the 924 ...
========================
Bleyseng
There is way more to the 924 story.....I have read a account by that German 914 posted (cant remember his name but DD would). He told the story of the 924 on the Potomac Porsche club site. Basically, the Audi factory(was where the NSU's were built) had the car already to go for VW but then VW pulled out. The factory came to Porsche and (since Porsche had done most of the engineering) offered the car to them to sell under their name so the car could be built and the factory could keep on going.
By the way, my friend drove the first 924 around the US to all the Dealers to show it. It was a yellow car/black interior without ac, and he did this in the summer. He reported back to Porsche that they had to get AC in their cars or it would never sell! Too hot with that big back window! I have seen the pics he has of it and him.

Geoff
davep
To me, the 912E was the follow-on car to the 914. It seemed to be a half-hearted measure because it was only for the NA market for one year, and they did put considerable effort into the unique parts to make the car happen. Sure it was a type 4 2.0L, but it had unique fuel injection, exhaust, and sheet metal. The transmission was also unique. I don't know how they justified the cost of development over such a short production run. It seems to be a stop-gap measure to bridge the 914 and the 924 using available parts. Certainly the 924 was a major shift in design: front engine and water cooled. Porsche was probably reluctant to bet the business on the 924 considering the conservatism of the Porsche owners. ( they didn't make a REAL Porsche after the 356). Yeah, right.

DaveP
Bleyseng
Here DaveP is my vin tag
Bleyseng
vin
Andyrew
Ya, ya, old topic..

But here's one on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1&category=6430

Vin#4762904070

Super high priced..

Andrew
Bleyseng
Hey Andyrew, Good find!
Looks like it didn't come with Fuchs, fogs,and center console. Thats a rust bucket for sure with rusted pans and rockers.

Geoff
davep
I just asked him for some more information. Yeah, not loaded, unusual. I wonder what the reserve is?

DaveP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.