Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator cable question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

As can be seen from the picture above, I do not have enough accelerator cable to reach the throttle linkage.

The cable is a Terry cable.

What am I doing wrong? The cable needs to extend about 10 inches out of its sheath, but only extends about 3.5 inches. Is this an adjustment I need to make at the pedal end?

I have PLENTY of total cable left, but the pull I have is just about perfectly 90degrees to the linkage arm. Am I just going to have to re-design the cable mount to bring it closer to the linkage?

Zach
Gint
You sure you don't have the cable wrapped around something in the tunnel?
r_towle
Follow the end of the bolen (sheath) of the cable.
Make sure it is seated at the firewall correctly.

Pull the cable out to underneath the rear of the car.
I agree you may have it wrapped up in the tunnel..
Using a mirror and flashlight you can look forward via the shifter hole and backwards using the front tunnel access hole.
The cable can and does get caught up before the tube.
The tube ends about 8 inches in front of the shifter.

Also, look at how you attached it to the pedal setup and make sure that is twisted the right way.

Rich
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 29 2008, 08:46 AM) *
As can be seen from the picture above, I do not have enough accelerator cable to reach the throttle linkage.

What am I doing wrong? The cable needs to extend about 10 inches out of its sheath, but only extends about 3.5 inches. Is this an adjustment I need to make at the pedal end?

I have PLENTY of total cable left, but the pull I have is just about perfectly 90degrees to the linkage arm. Am I just going to have to re-design the cable mount to bring it closer to the linkage?

Zach

Hi Zach

As was previously mention, you've lost some cable some where or the cable was packaged for the wrong app ? The stock GEMO replacement cable has a plastic tube for the cable about the length of what your showing in the pic, so your short at least 5 or 6".

But your cable mount to the fan shroud is too far away, you will need a bracket of some sorts to mount the cable about the distance the dist is from the lever, and the lever may have to be moved up one more section on the cross shaft ?

And Red Blue & Green are good color combos.
VaccaRabite
It would appear that I am wrapped around the clutch cable.

No telling what else it may be wrapped around.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Dec 29 2008, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 29 2008, 08:46 AM) *

Zach
Hi Zach

As was previously mention, you've lost some cable some where or the cable was packaged for the wrong app ? The stock GEMO replacement cable has a plastic tube for the cable about the length of what your showing in the pic, so your short at least 5 or 6".

But your cable mount to the fan shroud is too far away, you will need a bracket of some sorts to mount the cable about the distance the dist is from the lever, and the lever may have to be moved up one more section on the cross shaft ?

And Red Blue & Green are good color combos.

agree.gif
jcambo7
Now thats purty Jonny! biggrin.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yes it is... It's Triad aktion035.gif I think that is even Dave's car.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 29 2008, 02:07 PM) *

Yes it is... It's Triad aktion035.gif I think that is even Dave's car.

Newbie question? What's triad?
maf914
Zach and Jon,

Jon's picture may be the answer to your question about cable length. That may be a Triad cross-bar linkage and cable bracket, but I have a Weltmeister linkage and bracket that looks the same, except that mine is cad plated, not black. It works very well and I have used both stock and Terry cables. From what I have read, I think Triad took over the Welt system manufacture and sales.

I don't think your cable is too short, but that you need to fabricate a bracket that moves the cable mounting point up and near the linkage arm. I don't know if the CB-style hex-bar linkage came with a 914 T-4 cable bracket or not, but there has been a lot of questions about this in the past. The bracket on my Weltmeister syatem and on the Triad system is a piece of steel bar stock formed in an S-bend as shown. It has two holes drilled at the ends, one for the cable end, and one where it bolts to one of the unused bolt holes on the T-4 fan shroud flange. That may not sound secure, but it works very well. The square flat end of the bracket rests on the fan shroud, the bolt secures it to the flange, and it doesn't move appreciably, either fore and aft, or side to side.

Again, I think your problem is the cable bracket and not the cable itself.
johnnie5
I am in the process of setting up new carb linkage and Bill Grimstead was kind enough to send me these pics as an example of what he has done. It helped me, hope it helps you too. Notice the throttle bracket he fab'd. Also, I was so impressed with the springs right on the hexbar (red arrow) for tension that I bought a pair.

Here is the link...
http://www.airkewld.com/parts/proddetail.php?prod=PL-5020

Linkage is CB Performance, BTW.
VaccaRabite
Johnnie5, I like that throttle holder.
It is pretty much exactly what I was planning on making.

Could you give me measurements so I don't have to recreate the wheel?

Zach
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 29 2008, 01:58 PM) *

Zach and Jon,

Jon's picture may be the answer to your question about cable length. That may be a Triad cross-bar linkage and cable bracket, but I have a Weltmeister linkage and bracket that looks the same, except that mine is cad plated, not black. It works very well and I have used both stock and Terry cables. From what I have read, I think Triad took over the Welt system manufacture and sales.

I don't think your cable is too short, but that you need to fabricate a bracket that moves the cable mounting point up and near the linkage arm. I don't know if the CB-style hex-bar linkage came with a 914 T-4 cable bracket or not, but there has been a lot of questions about this in the past. The bracket on my Weltmeister syatem and on the Triad system is a piece of steel bar stock formed in an S-bend as shown. It has two holes drilled at the ends, one for the cable end, and one where it bolts to one of the unused bolt holes on the T-4 fan shroud flange. That may not sound secure, but it works very well. The square flat end of the bracket rests on the fan shroud, the bolt secures it to the flange, and it doesn't move appreciably, either fore and aft, or side to side.

Again, I think your problem is the cable bracket and not the cable itself.

I agree with what you say and yes it uis based off the Weltmeister linkage with a few changes. I use to have on when I had a 4 but that is long gone by now. bye1.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 29 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Johnnie5, I like that throttle holder.
It is pretty much exactly what I was planning on making.

Could you give me measurements so I don't have to recreate the wheel?

Zach

That looks like it should work perfect Zach. beer.gif I hope it will solve your problems and help you finish your car on time since I voted you would happy11.gif
Bruce Hinds
It's all toooo easy to get the cable "looped" around around the clutch linkage up front. It's really not a loop, but it will sag just enough before you put pressure on it and it will catch. Have some one hold the cable in the back and push on the clutch. That should give you what you need.
johnnie5
Zach,

Those pics are of Grimsteads car, I haven't even gotten that far yet. I spent the day taking apart my CV's, cleaning and repacking them (and adding 4 new boots). Those little c clips on the end of the axle's are a bitch to get off! headbang.gif

Anyway, I don't have a measurement for the bracket. I was planning on just setting my cable in place, making sure the slack is out, then measuring back from the cable housing to the point where the bracket will fasten. Let me know if you come up with something before I do...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.