Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped CV Bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Last night i got 7 of 8 cv bolts removed and one of them was stripped, so i tried all the methods you guys mentioned, vise grips, weld a bolt on the end. Nothing worked.

I now have an easier method to getting them out, you will have to sacrifice that stripped bolt, but oh well, because you throw it out anyway since its stripped. What i did was pull the wheel off(better access if you have flares on the car) and took a dremel to the cv bolt. Ground a two flats on the bolt so i could get a wrench on it. Took 20 minutes to grind the bolt flat on two opposing sides. I ground the thing down to about an 11mm wrench size. Wasn't perfect but worked ridiculously well. After I got the bolt loosened up, i used vise-grips to keep loosening the bolt.

Hope this helps someone!!
Joe Ricard
Dremel is the "god send" to getting out of bad spots.
Joe Owensby
I have done that also. I tried using large vice grips on the bolts, but the vise grips wouldn't grab the hardened bolt heads. Using a dremmel to grind off some small flats allowed the vice grips to grab the bolt head for removal. I didn't grind down far enough to allow use of a wrench, but it worked OK for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.