Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do to 2.0L Heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
Well I've gotten started on rebuilding the 2.0L 4 cylinder engine that was in the car when I got it. I got it all torn down last week and on Saturday I got the case in to Competition Engineering to have them ensure that when the lifters went bad they didn't damage the case.

So looking ahead... what would you do to the heads to help with creating a solid daily driver that gets the most output (both horsepower and mpg) out of a stock FI 2.0L with Euro pistons in it?
Jake Raby
Stock rebuild

12mm plug modifcation

42x36 valves

single H/D springs
Bleyseng
Send them to HeadflowMasters and have them rebuilt and ported.

Geoff
ThinAir
http://www.audiracvws.com/914porscheracingheads.htm is this the right address for HeadflowMasters?
swood
Yup.
Mike9142.0
Why 12 spark plugs?
Jake Raby
It reduces the chamber cracks by 90% easily... Its standard for all my 2.0 heads. The 2.0 chamber is terriable for cracks. Get it hot once and its cracked-
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Mike9142.0 @ Feb 17 2004, 07:22 PM)
Why 12 spark plugs?

Jake has all the poop on this, but I believe it has something to do with making the spark plug holes stronger so they dont crack as easily, as the 2.0L heads are known to
ThinAir
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 16 2004, 10:12 PM)
12mm plug modifcation

So just exactly what is this? Does this mean you are using a larger size spark plug or is it more like an insert in the head so that the spark plug isn't directly threaded into the head?
Dave_Darling
Smaller spark plug. Weld up the hole in the head, drill and tap for a smaller spark plug. Smaller hole == more material around the hole == less chance of cracking.

Doesn't do jack for the short radius of the exhaust port, which is the other place where 2.0 914 heads like to crack... sad.gif

--DD
ThinAir
Does the smaller hole limit your selection of plugs or are you still able to get plugs in the correct temperature range?
Jake Raby
A Ducati motorcycle uses the exact same heat range as my engines do... They are 12mm and available in NGK
Zeke
There isn't one part of the type4 that Jake hasn't fooled with. Ducati plugs. Next thing will be Volvo pistons, Mecedes rods, an oil pump from a Caterpillar, heads from a 911 and EFI from some GM machine. rolleyes.gif
Jake Raby
There are TONS of things that we have not learned yet.. I learn atleast one big thing a week on average... When you stop learning- its because you are dead or dying!

The TIV has many mysteries- just wait till my new heads are done and the key to the power door will be opened really wide- and they'll cool too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.