Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Removal Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JC 914
PO painted Rivieras to match pinstriping. What is the best way to remove without damaging finish?
Gint
Good question. I don't think there is going to be an easy way without comprising the remaining finish. You could tape them off and paint the painted areas black.

I kinda like the look (on the wheels that is).
type47
i used Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove some paint from some VW 5-spoke alloys. can't vouch for not harming the finish though.
rfuerst911sc
I would think a liquid/paste type paint remover should work. You might want to mask off the wheel to be safe and use a small brush to neatly apply the remover. I don't believe this would hurt the OEM finish which should be anodized.
tod914
If your changing the white areas to black, go with Gint's suggestion. Why risk staining the metalic finish.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 1 2009, 02:21 PM) *

If your changing the white areas to black, go with Gint's suggestion. Why risk staining the metalic finish.

agree.gif I too actually like the subtle accent.
tod914
Here's with the black centers. White looks good.
Click to view attachment
ericread
Here's my tired old wheels with a bad overspray paint job by the PO:
Click to view attachment

And here they are after I did a really light amount of sanding with 250 Grit sandpaper:
Click to view attachment

Eric
McMark
Try brake cleaner first. If it's cheap paint (rattle can), it'll come right off.
JC 914
icon_bump.gif

Just a quick bump in case there are any other suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.