Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My paint didn't match
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
First time I applied the paint, it came out light blue. I'm after gulf blue. I wasn't happy with the application (my first attempt) so I sanded it off and repainted. Then I went to do the doors trunk and trunk. I wasn't happy with that job either. So I sanded that one down and reapplied another coat this weekend.

Now the first coat was light blue, the second was a shade darker and the next two have been light again. My friend who paint cars for a living is lost as to how I managed to change the tint from light to dark to light again. I've been using all the same product.

At this point I don't have enough paint to do it again, so he's going to mix up a batch to match the body and I get to sand down the clearcoat on the parts I just finished.

Are we having fun yet?

Photos are already posted on What did you do on New Years Day thread

IPB Image

IPB Image
burton73
Did they mix you one gallon of paint or 4 quarts. I Painted a 911 SC and they mixed color in each can. They told me to put all the color in the paint pot, mix and pour it back in the cans so it would all be the same. What is your story on the mixing of the color?

Bob
sww914
The white pigment in light blue is really heavy. It will sink to the bottom pretty fast. If you stirred it plenty the first time, not quite enough the second time and then plenty again the third time it could cause what you've described. I generally stir the paint about twice as much as I think it really needs jsut to be sure that that doesn't happen to me again. I had to repaint an entire Southern California Edison crane truck once because I didn't stir the paint enough. I only did that once. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
McMark
My painter only paints cars mock-up assembled to make sure the panels match. Trunks, underside/inside of doors and lids, and jambs in one paint job, then he puts on all the lids/doors, tapes off the jambs/trunks and paints the outside.
scotty b
It happens sad.gif and it usually happens when the parts are painted seperately. This can be due to several reasons most of which have already been stated.

Mix all of your paint ( base coat ) together, Shake it well before shooting, agitate the gun while you are shooting ( inbetween coats ) and if at all possible, shoot EVERYTHING together.

Assuming you are happy with your door jambs, you might should re-hang and align your panels now, and re-shoot the whole car one more time assembled. Yes you will need to tape off your jambs buit if it gets you and even color it will be worth it.

Something most people do not know is the humidity, and temp to some degree, will also affect the final color. I try my best to avoid painting on really humid days. ( most of the summer in Va)
jmmotorsports
Hey Billy,
Now you know why we charge what we do for quality paint work. It will get easier after you do a few hundred. Keep at it,it will be beautiful.

Jerry
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 3 2009, 09:49 AM) *

It happens sad.gif and it usually happens when the parts are painted seperately. This can be due to several reasons most of which have already been stated.

Mix all of your paint ( base coat ) together, Shake it well before shooting, agitate the gun while you are shooting ( inbetween coats ) and if at all possible, shoot EVERYTHING together.

Assuming you are happy with your door jambs, you might should re-hang and align your panels now, and re-shoot the whole car one more time assembled. Yes you will need to tape off your jambs buit if it gets you and even color it will be worth it.

Something most people do not know is the humidity, and temp to some degree, will also affect the final color. I try my best to avoid painting on really humid days. ( most of the summer in Va)

Expecially Red. laugh.gif
PanelBilly
All in all, I have to admit that I'm having fun and when its done, (if ever!), I have something to take pride in. Ye-sterday and today I reprep'd the doors, hood and trunk. My freind is going to try mix up a batch to match the body shell. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have a car that's all the same color.

Anybody need some clearcoat dust? I have a good supply of it.
craig downs
I wish you the best of luck and hope it turns out great this time.
charliew
Try doing artic white with blue pearl midcoat and clear. Throw in doing the body with doors, then the fenders and hood and trunk on different days outside with the wind blowing and a good supply of bugs in the pearl and clearcoat. Talk about extra paint and trying to match up the pearl tint. Very expensive and time consuming and frustrating. Not to mention sanders shoulder. Don't you love it?
sixnotfour
Billy you need
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...sQ5fAccessories
pete-stevers
looks like you are one up on me..you are in a booth..i am dong mine in the barn( read plastic walled spray booth
i have more than a few imperfections....but mostly it will polish out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.