Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hershey MidEngine Invasion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
r_towle
Hi,
This is the First Annual MidEngine Invasion at Hershey...the largest Porsche only swap meet and soon to be the largest 914 attended event....smile.gif
Its in Hershey PA.
We decided to invade Hershey at both the Swap meet and the AutoX on Sunday.
This is an event that has been going on now for 3 decades and its time we invaded.

The simple plan is as follows.
The Event is on April 25th...
Most people arrive on friday night.
I drive down iron butt and get there at 6:30 am

So,
We will be getting at least 4 spaces to allow us to hang out and have a tent etc.
We will get a single cheap hotel with a bar...Dr Evil is on that.

I have contacted the Central Region PCA group to see if they will allow the following.
A special section for 914 only parking in the corral/show area.
We will have several awards in that area.
A special class for our 914 community (Club and World) with the ability to give out awards....if not we can get the sheets at the end of the autox and figure that out ourselves...
We will have awards one way or another.
Special allowances for V8 cars, typically this region does not allow them...so I am told.

We have a planning forum on the other site so if one of you guyz is attached to the Central region PCA...give me an email or PM to see if we can get a few things done.

The goal is 40 cars. We get 20 at Foleys event and 20 at the ECC....so we should be at 40 if we all commit.

More logistical details will follow as things firm up and I hear info from the Central Region PCA.

Rich
VaccaRabite
I'm in, and looking forward to it.

Zach
ArtechnikA
I only missed last year's Hershey meet due to family events - I've been to all the others since moving here in 2003.

I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs so I'm 'local' and drive over early Saturday. I won't have a 914, just the usual ArtechnikA stuff. I hope I'll be looking to buy stuff this year...

So we'll have at least the big Outback (the little Outback is no more) and possibly the Titan. We can get all the ArtechnikA stuff in the Outback but then there is no room for parts...

So as much as I love 914's, sometimes it's nice to have a BIG vehicle you can carry stuff in.
degreeoff
Count me in ! piratenanner.gif
Time to kick some autoX butt! driving.gif
rick 918-S
This looks interesting. 1200 miles one way. Could still have snow in the U.P.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 7 2009, 09:28 AM) *

This looks interesting. 1200 miles one way. Could still have snow in the U.P.

Yup. that is what always makes "hershey" an adventure.

Rich
turboman808
sounds like fun
SLKWrx
Still no running 914 sad.gif Hopefully I'll have it in some sort of shape by end of April. Anyone want to lend a hand building and installing a motor? smile.gif

-- Steve
PanelBilly
For years I've wanted to make the trip. This makes it even more magnetic. I'd need to bum some rides, there's no way my car will be done by then.

So put me down for a maybe.
jsayre914
Im in for the Swap... smile.gif

how many cars do we have confirmed already?
type11969
I'll try to make it, no 914 though. Hopefully with a running VW Camper.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

There is another area you didn't mention, "Peoples Choise" kind of a mini car

show . Lots of great P. Cars . I am there every year, lots of fun , neat cars

even one of those ( You can't Turbo Charge a 914 ) . 40 914,s is very doable

there must be 10 times that amount within 500 miles of Hershey. I drive it

ever yr. in mine , and I am old ( almost 71 by then) and fat. So you you

young bloods. Can,t let a old fat guy out due you. Some one start a list of the

ones that will commit to being there. Hell it,s only 14 weeks away. I am

starting on the few things i want to do before Hershey on my 914. You do the

same!!!!!!!!! Dave slap.gif
wilchek
I'm in hopefully my battery will not die this year and my wife is no longer ready to give birth. Hope to make it to the autox also. Let me know if there is anything I can do. It has always been hard to get all the 914 to park together. Let us know what # spots you reserve.
camaroz1985
I'll be there (without a car though). Only a couple miles away smile.gif
r_towle
I need to figure out a good way to get all the people signed up.
I just started this so give me a day or two.

We will have lots of fun awards...and driving your 914...that is the point guys...come on.
If a 71 year old guy can drive his car....you can too.
Rich
ws91420
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 7 2009, 11:05 PM) *

I need to figure out a good way to get all the people signed up.
I just started this so give me a day or two.

We will have lots of fun awards...and driving your 914...that is the point guys...come on.
If a 71 year old guy can drive his car....you can too.
Rich

Not if its not driveable on the street (or anywhere else for that matter) blowtorch.gif welder.gif
tod914
Not sure if I'll take the teener out, but will hopefully make the show.
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2009, 07:44 PM) *

How far from Öakland, Kalifornia???
idea.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 8 2009, 01:46 AM) *

not much farther than from Reno, and I did that in 2003 pretty much straight-through (with some much-appreciated help from Gint and Rusty) in a 26' moving truck. Stuck in the middle of a band of rainstorm as it marched east across the country - for 3 days.

So I clearly lived to tell the tale - you can too !
jimkelly
i'm interested - can't commit just yet - but i'm at least 50/50 - jim
camaroz1985

idea.gif Andy

Its not that far biggrin.gif I made the drive last summer in a box truck.
Dr Evil
At 70mph, for 20hrs a day, with 4 hours for breaks and sleep, you can make it here in just over 2 days. Soooo, if you take your time you can sleep an extra 4 hrs/day smile.gif
914rrr
We will be there. We have a back to back vendor space. (Rob may decide not to bring parts to sell, and drive his 914 turbo).

beerchug.gif
914rrr

idea.gif Andy

Definitely worth the drive! It took us a day just to walk through the swap meet. With a little time left over for the for sale corral. If I lived in California, I would still make the trip.

Unbelievable event! smilie_pokal.gif
r_towle

idea.gif Andy

Do it..
Rick might come... (alien)

Rich
firstknight13
biggrin.gif RICH< SEAN AND I WILL BE THERE WITH THE CAR AND THE NEW MOTOR FOR BOTH EVENTS OF COURSE
Johny Blackstain
I've been wanting to go to Hershey for quite some time & just might get off my ass & go this year. One thing I know for sure is that it's Hershey- that means Civic & no 914 sad.gif ... it's gonna rain dry.gif
Dr Evil
Andy, if you come out I can put you up for the weekend on my futon smile.gif It will save you some money.
Dr Evil
It didnt rain last year, they moved the date later in the month to beat the curse.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 8 2009, 08:35 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

Do it..
Rick might come... (alien)

Rich

Let's do it sir! assimilate.gif
swm914
Hi...I am close to Hershey and should be able to make it, so if you're trying to reach a certain number of 914's, count me in. Thanks
Steve

Hi,
This is the First Annual MidEngine Invasion at Hershey...the largest Porsche only swap meet and soon to be the largest 914 attended event....smile.gif
Its in Hershey PA.
We decided to invade Hershey at both the Swap meet and the AutoX on Sunday.
This is an event that has been going on now for 3 decades and its time we invaded.

The simple plan is as follows.
The Event is on April 25th...
Most people arrive on friday night.
I drive down iron butt and get there at 6:30 am

So,
We will be getting at least 4 spaces to allow us to hang out and have a tent etc.
We will get a single cheap hotel with a bar...Dr Evil is on that.

I have contacted the Central Region PCA group to see if they will allow the following.
A special section for 914 only parking in the corral/show area.
We will have several awards in that area.
A special class for our 914 community (Club and World) with the ability to give out awards....if not we can get the sheets at the end of the autox and figure that out ourselves...
We will have awards one way or another.
Special allowances for V8 cars, typically this region does not allow them...so I am told.

We have a planning forum on the other site so if one of you guyz is attached to the Central region PCA...give me an email or PM to see if we can get a few things done.

The goal is 40 cars. We get 20 at Foleys event and 20 at the ECC....so we should be at 40 if we all commit.

More logistical details will follow as things firm up and I hear info from the Central Region PCA.

Rich

degreeoff
Steve I HATE your airport!!! Landed there once and never again!!! LOL Its like landing on a postage stamp......
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jan 10 2009, 10:51 AM) *

...Like landing on a postage stamp......

I did most of my primary training at WHP. 3000' with power lines both ends.

They actually got a 727 in there - pilot got confused with BUR which has a similar heading, but is 5000' longer and another couple miles up the road. However, it went out in pieces...
degreeoff
Yeah, My home @ W00 is 2400 ft 18/36 always a crosswind!, but Palmyra is 1950 with cornfeild and road as endpoints!! LMAO took me 3 goes with Mike on the ground going WTF is this guy doing??
Dr Evil
You forgot to mention the nice downward slope to the runway as well. It was like landing on a skateboard ramp smile.gif
auerbach
Count me in too. When is Chris' event?
VaccaRabite
Here is a logo I am working on for the event. This is a dev version only, in jpg format. The scalable .ai file I don't think can be seen on the board.

Let me know what you think. The font was just the first one I could find that looked decent.

If we make a banner, I could put it in a horizontal layout. Though, I am not sure what Hershey park might say if we have a banner with "Hershey" on it. Maybe just MidEngine Invasion.

Zach

Can't get the attachment to load. Hold on a tic...
VaccaRabite
Lets try this...

Click to view attachment

Lemme know what you think. (oh, and clearly its in .gif format, not .jpg as said earlier.)
Dr Evil
Why are none of the banners showing up for me? I see no posted pics confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Never mind, as soon as I posted they showed up. I guess its an odd thing for this particular forum.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 11 2009, 10:30 PM) *

Never mind, as soon as I posted they showed up. I guess its an odd thing for this particular forum.

I was having trouble posting the image at first.

Do you mean that the image is odd and does not really work (ie, you don't like it) or that its odd that the image did not load right away?

Constructive criticism is a good thing.

Zach
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 11 2009, 10:20 PM) *

...I am not sure what Hershey park might say if we have a banner with "Hershey" on it. Maybe just MidEngine Invasion.

They might own the rights to the name 'HersheyPark' and the candy brand, but as a city name, it's fair game.

I figure as long as we're open to Boxsters and Caymans it's a great name...
root
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 11 2009, 07:27 PM) *

Lets try this...

Click to view attachment

Lemme know what you think. (oh, and clearly its in .gif format, not .jpg as said earlier.)

Zach .... I like it!

This year I'm in for certain!
Prolly won't have the TIV 2 wheeler ready by Hershey though.... sad.gif
root
Oh! here's me testing the air suspensionon the TIV 2 wheeler....
You know it feels like a mid-engine when you mount it!

Dr Evil
I like it, Zach.
nein14
QUOTE(root @ Jan 12 2009, 09:38 AM) *

Smokin' smoke.gif
Cevan
QUOTE(root @ Jan 12 2009, 12:38 PM) *

Ahh, you have it set up for easy bale removal for when you do your valve adjustments. Just kick your heels down.
scotty b

Lets try this...

Click to view attachment

Seems kind of prejudiced to me dry.gif Guess I know where I'm not allowed to go now sad.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 12 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Lets try this...

Click to view attachment

Seems kind of prejudiced to me dry.gif Guess I know where I'm not allowed to go now sad.gif

Thats true, for Scotty we need one with a green check mark on an empty engine bay av-943.gif
Dr Evil
Alright, I have been looking into hotels in the area. I have completely neglected the closest hotels to the event due to them generally being booked long in advance. There is no shortage of hotels in the area, though. However, finding ones with bars in them is difficult as there are a lot of small motels around, but not larger hotels. Also, those with bars tend to either be expensive, booked, or the bars close early dry.gif There is hope, though. Down the street from my house is a cluster of hotels that are within walking distance to two bar/restaurants; Duke's and Dimitri's. These are the "Palmyra" locations below. The Holiday Inn in Grantville is rather large and has restaurants and bars in it, but I dont know how long they are open. It is a possibility that we could take over the 3-4 motels in Palmyra, this would be the closest and, IMHO, the best setup. But, I differ to the group as I do not have time to call all of these places and get rates, etc.

On the map, the red dot is the location of the swap/race, II is Palmyra, III is Grantville, and IV is Off of 39 Manada Hill exit.

In Palmyra: walking distance to Dukes, and Dimitri’s

Scottish Inn
1518 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA

Chocolatetown Motel
1806 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA

Milton Motel
1733 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA

In Grantville:

Holiday inn
604 Station Rd
Grantville, PA

Comfort Suites Grantville
450 Station Road
Grantville, PA 17028

Hampton Inn Harrisburg-Grantville/Hershey
255 Bow Creek Road, Grantville, PA 17028

Econo Lodge/ Days Inn Grantville
252 Bow Creek Rd., Grantville, PA 17028

Off of 39:

Country Hearth Inn
7965 Jonestown Rd
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 545-6944

Scottish Inn
7975 Jonestown Rd
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 901-8383

Days Inn Harrisburg
7848 Linglestown Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 652-9578

Comfort Inn
7744 Linglestown Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 540-840

Howard Johnson
7930 Linglestown Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 540-9100

Country Inn
8000 Jonestown Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 651-5100

Manada Hill Inn‎
128 North Hershey Rd, Harrisburg, PA 17112

Friendly Inn
8004 Allentown Blvd
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 652-2634

Super 8
7500 Allentown Boulevard
Harrisburg, PA 17112
(717) 652-0101
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.