Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel replace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eg914
Pulled the trans for an oil seal replacement, and my clutch disc is down to the rivets on the pressure plate side. I thew in an old disc to keep me going (daily driver).

My question is, can I reuse the flywheel I have, or does it need to be resurfaced or replaced? How can I tell if the flywheel is OK to use as it is?

Seems like the Pelican and AA kits can include flywheels, but that adds a bit to the cost. Just trying to figure out what the hit to the budget is going to be.

Thanks
southernmost914
You should at least resurface it to keep it from grabbing and smooth operation. Keep in mind these are 30+ year old flywheels and most likely have been machined before. I do not know the specs but you would have to spec it after machining. It better and cheaper in the long run to do it right than do it twice. biggrin.gif

Steve
So.Cal.914
Just make sure the face has not been cut so much that the clutch disc center rubs on the F/W center bolts.
eg914
Thanks for the replies. Guess I will have to spend the bucks for a flywheel. I can't afford much down time when it comes to replacing the clutch. The flywheel is in the car now, and I probably won't have time to get it surfaced locally.

If I install a different flywheel will I need to check the end play of the crankshaft, or is that flywheel independent?

So.Cal.914
I would check it for sure.
Mark Henry
You must check the end play if you change flywheels, good thing to check even with the same flywheel. You also should replace the flywheel seal and O-ring. If you have your ducks in a row with a good machine shop they should be able to grind your flywheel while you wait.

I wouldn't do it now, but on a tight budget I've reused a flywheel as long as the friction surface is flat (using a straightedge) and not glazed or burnt.
BTDT
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2009, 05:48 AM) *

You must check the end play if you change flywheels, good thing to check even with the same flywheel. You also should replace the flywheel seal and O-ring. If you have your ducks in a row with a good machine shop they should be able to grind your flywheel while you wait.

I wouldn't do it now, but on a tight budget I've reused a flywheel as long as the friction surface is flat (using a straightedge) and not glazed or burnt.
BTDT

Yep, what Mark said...
Post some pics of it and I can tell you whether it has another "life" left in it for machining (more than likely)
Porsche Rescue
Jake, can you tell from this pic if the flywheel can be turned? I believe it only has 110K on the engine and I can't tell if it has ever been turned.
There is a deep groove on the outer circumference of the contact surface. It matches the light colored ring, about a 1/4" wide on the outer circumference of the disc.
Since there are no rivets out there, I can't figure what made the ring. Clearly the flywheel should have been turned before this disc was installed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
It looks low, but **may** have one more life in it... Have it measured.
Porsche Rescue
Can you tell me the spec? Search here is unclear. Some say 11mm (disc surface to mounting surface) and others say 7-8mm. I know the plate mount surface and disc surface must be maintained at 22.5.
JFJ914
You will probably be ok as long as there is still a "step" left from the working surface toward the inner atachment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.