Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tips on getting the Fs&^ing roll pin in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
veltror
Is there some amazing way I can get the roll pin into the pedal clusetr? I have tried sticking it in the freezer for a few days but no joy or do I need a bigger smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Cheers

Roman
TravisNeff
Do you have a vice or a hydraulic press?

I tried (with some extra hands) putting the cluster in a vice, one site of the roll pin I put a socket and the other side a small bolt - then press it out.

Don't try to drill the thing out!
So.Cal.914
I have tapered one end of the roll pin with a grinder just enough to get it started.

Mr Shea I'm sure has a trick.
VaccaRabite
I used a vice as a makeshift press. I also warmed up the boss it goes into with a MAPP torch. Easy.

Zach
r_towle
Its just a matter of getting it straight to start with...and use a punch, not a nail set...a punch the correct diameter of the pin or you peen over the end of the pin.
One end should have a slight taper...maybe both.
If not, get a grinder or hand file and taper the end a bit...just a slight camfer.

Rich
andys
I'd like to ask why you can't replace the roll pin with a high grade metric bolt with the unthreaded shank running nearly the whole required length?

Andys
Wes V
On Honda's, the shift linkage is attached at the transmission with a roll pin. It's commonly refered to as the "bitch pin" by anybody that has to deal with it.

Here is a write-up that I did showing how to do it without getting out the BFH:

"removing a bitch pin"

It may give you some ideas.

Andys; One of the ideas behind roll pins is that they are in tight contact on the sides. This prevents any movement between the two items. If you used a bolt and the sides were not tight, you would have to tighten the nut to the point that you crush the outer piece tight against the inner piece. Of course this requires that both items have pretty much the same inside diameter. I doubt it makes any difference on a brake pedal assembly!! I'd also guess that P uses a roll pin in this location due to cost for parts and labor time being less.

Wes
veltror
Right , I 'll give this another go tomorrow. thanks for the advice.

R
Eric_Shea
Vise works. Press works slightly better but it's hard to position.
ericread
When I rebuild my cluster, I asked the same question. The answer was "BFH"

Worked for me.

Eric Read
Eric_Shea
BFH to get the roll pin in?
ericread
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 15 2009, 11:43 PM) *

BFH to get the roll pin in?

Yep. A few dozen taps and it scooted right in.

smash.gif
IronHillRestorations
Check the diameter of the roll pin. Maybe they put the wrong size in your kit?? I've never had one that was that difficult to install.
yeahmag
Mine was horrible to install... I only got it about 90% of the way in.
rjames
I bent the handle on my vice trying to get that sucker installed. I ended up giving the whole thing to a buddy who works at a machine shop to have him press it in.

Find a machine shop and have them do it. It will be a quick and easy job for them and save you hours of frustration.
914Sixer
I have a special tool that fits over the end of the roll pin for the installation. I will get a picture this afternoon.
veltror
Whoever "designed " the pedal cluster is an idiot. I spent four hours trying to get the roll pin and broke the vice. Arghhhhhhhhhh
IronHillRestorations
I'm going to guess again the roll pin is the wrong size. I've rebuilt at least a dozen pedal clusters and have yet to break my vise confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Musta been a POS (what else) Harbor freight vise. I usually use a hammer, but occasionally a vise. never a problem. As for a bolt, you'd need a barely slip fit shaft, with a minimal head and almost no threads sticking out the other side. There has to be clearance for the shaft to rotate ......... The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(veltror @ Jan 18 2009, 12:18 PM) *

the roll pin broke the vice

"The dingo ate my baby!" av-943.gif
veltror
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 18 2009, 09:02 PM) *

Musta been a POS (what else) Harbor freight vise. I usually use a hammer, but occasionally a vise. never a problem. As for a bolt, you'd need a barely slip fit shaft, with a minimal head and almost no threads sticking out the other side. There has to be clearance for the shaft to rotate ......... The Cap'n

Who or WTF is Harbor freight?
Wes V
QUOTE(veltror @ Jan 18 2009, 02:11 PM) *
Who or WTF is Harbor freight?
It's a company that sells really cheap tools. (and they don't cost much)I go there whenever I need something that I'll most likely use only once.Wes
veltror
Right, I got hold of another bronze bushing set and that roll pin is just as impossible to install. In all the years of aircoolled VW's there are only two bollocks jobs. A clutch cable in a right hand drive Beetle and this bloody roll pin. This is getting silly. The part number off my bushing set is 930 423 401 90 i think...
Katmanken
Two things to screw up a press fit....

One, the pin is cocked.......

Two, the hole has a burr or a step in it (see thing 1 for the cause or see the burr or step caused by the punch and BFH used in removing the former pin)

I'd measure the hole with drill bits to determine the hole size ( and to clean up the step or burr imprinted in the hole...)

Then I"d measure the pin with calipers.

If there is a big difference, ya gots the wrong pin.

As per the screw, there is a reason for the pin- can you say spring steel??????

Unlike the bolt, It's harder than hell and has a little give when you slam the pedal down.....

Ken

veltror
Anybody who said wrong size pin gets a medal, looked up the number still available at Porsche ordered three and Bingo in in goes, besides now have a new vice.

rjames
QUOTE(veltror @ Feb 19 2009, 04:56 PM) *

Anybody who said wrong size pin gets a medal, looked up the number still available at Porsche ordered three and Bingo in in goes, besides now have a new vice.

Dammit, I wonder if I can get PP to send me the money to replace my trashed vise after I used it to try and install the roll pin I ordered from them a while back? headbang.gif
Bewildebeest
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 18 2009, 08:55 PM) *

I've rebuilt at least a dozen pedal clusters

Hi Perry - I'm a few steps behind Roman (Veltror). I've got the roll pin out but can't shift the shaft itself. Whats the trick ? A BFH will only make things worse.
Advice please.

Hi Roman - if you're doing the nuts and bolts it must be coming home soon ?
Andrew.
IronHillRestorations
Andrew, use heat. A propane or map gas torch works fine for this. You might melt the plastic bushings, but you aren't going to re-use them.
veltror
QUOTE(Bewildebeest @ Feb 20 2009, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 18 2009, 08:55 PM) *

I've rebuilt at least a dozen pedal clusters

Hi Roman - if you're doing the nuts and bolts it must be coming home soon ?
Andrew.

Coming home soon ? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

It appears that the pins which come with the bushing sets are too big!!! The pin is orderable from Porsche and not expensive!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.