Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 917 balsa shift knob specs (now a progress thread)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
Rod, go back to Post #11 for info on where to get them when Zach runs out.

T.C.
Rod
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 11 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Rod, go back to Post #11 for info on where to get them when Zach runs out.

T.C.

Thankyou T.C. beer.gif
'73-914kid
BLO (sorry, boiled linseed oil......too much time spent on guns these days) will really make that look even better! right now it looks great, but it will for sure bring out the depth in the wood. After that, if your really want to go all out, do some wood wax. It will then make it look super smooth, and feel smooth. It looks really good now as is, but if definetly needs something to finish the bare wood....

now I want one of these! They sure look cool!
ssstikircr
My hat is off to you it looks GREAT!
beerchug.gif
scotty b
AWESOME Zachck beerchug.gif Next one needs to be purple heart and cocobolo. I'll give ya 5 bucks for it buddy biggrin.gif
championgt1
Very nice work!
URY914
Will it fit my 917? The original knob is wore out.
So.Cal.914
Maybe you could protect the wood with duct tape and use a little file to remove a little material. Like in the pic, rather than messing with the threads on the shifter.

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Eh, I just drilled out the top 2 threads on my Renn Shifter and it worked perfect.

However, for the Mk2 ball, I made a jig to hold the ball in the late. Then, once the ball is done I can bore it out to what ever I need. I took pics, but they are not online yet, so those will have to be posted later.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
Hey Zach, If I am so lucky as to be one of the recipients of one of these I too have the Rennshift and what you did with this is perfect. Your work is awesome on this one and I can't wait to see the others. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 12 2009, 11:27 AM) *

Hey Zach, If I am so lucky as to be one of the recipients of one of these I too have the Rennshift and what you did with this is perfect. Your work is awesome on this one and I can't wait to see the others. beerchug.gif

Hold that thought. I have another ball blank ready to do (with the rennshifter shank glued in) that I am going to turn Tuesday. If it comes out as nice as the one I made Tuesday, I'll send you a PM about it with pics.

I have 4 blanks made w/o the shank in that I will offer up in the Member Vendor section as I get them made.

Zach
jimtab
Zach...instead of Balsa I'll bet the light colored wood is Bass wood, similar in it's lightness to balsa but much sturdier and more "toolable"....many hardware stores, at least the one I work at have balsa/bass wood centers...also hobby stores...if they really still exist, used to have them....good luck, I love the look of the strata....
PeeGreen 914

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 12 2009, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 12 2009, 11:27 AM) *

Hold that thought. I have another ball blank ready to do (with the rennshifter shank glued in) that I am going to turn Tuesday. If it comes out as nice as the one I made Tuesday, I'll send you a PM about it with pics.

I have 4 blanks made w/o the shank in that I will offer up in the Member Vendor section as I get them made.

Zach

piratenanner.gif
VaccaRabite
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1137259

3 for sale in the member vendor section. Get them while they are hot.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.