Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAG: My best ones yet.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I just finished my best front sway bar install yet. Clearance for the inner bracket is always a PITA. Here's how I made these which are pretty much perfect, IMHO.

I made the circle cuts first working from inside the fender.

Then working in the gas tank area:
Drill a hole at the bottom (lowest point) of the center circle. I used an 8mm drill bit, but next time I'd use one that's a bit smaller.
Then I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a cut RIGHT ON the corner where the inner box metal goes vertical.
Then you can use the Dremel or a hacksaw blade to extend the cut about 1.25" to either side.
Use the Dremel and/or a sharp chisel (I use a wood chisel) to cut down the vertical piece. Or at lease score it so that it will break easily where we want.
Drill out any spot welds that happen to be in the way.
Clean everything up with a 4" file, and use the same file to turn the drill hole into a rectangle that will fit the threaded boss on the new plate.

This car is getting a Tarrett bar. Total time was about 6 hours from start to welded.
736conver
I thought this was going to be for

Brad Roberts Automotive Group.

BRAG

Doh
RJMII
QUOTE(736conver @ Jan 19 2009, 12:53 PM) *

BRAG

Doh

LOL same here!

Incredibly nice install, though! very much worth bragging about.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 19 2009, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(736conver @ Jan 19 2009, 12:53 PM) *

BRAG

Doh

LOL same here!

Three too av-943.gif

I was going to post "So, you working for Brad again?" ... stirthepot.gif

Anyways, nice install there. I wish mine looked that good. One of these days, i'll have to pay you to redo mine.
welder.gif Andy
Heeltoe914
Nice job Now who gets the BILL????

Keep up the good work.
KaptKaos
Nice!

Did you weld on the outside as well?
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Well, I guess a few of us thought the same thing.

Very nice work Mark. I need to do the same thing here soon. Maybe mine will look half as nice. Doubtful but here's to hope beerchug.gif
sww914
Me too. Just seeing BRAG made me feel a little, well, I won't say anymore.
Very nice install, I plan to steal your methods soon.
zonedoubt
Perfect timing for this thread. I'm getting ready to install a front sway bar soon.
echocanyons
Lookin sweet Mark!

Is that a ground tab in the area of the swaybar? Is that for the fuel pump on late cars?

McMark
Yup, that's a ground tab for the fuel pump. I'll be utilizing it when it goes back together.

I knew the BRAG would confuse some of you. av-943.gif I'm so funny in my head. Wait, that didn't come out right... blink.gif
zonedoubt
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jan 19 2009, 12:13 PM) *

Nice!

Did you weld on the outside as well?

I wouldn't think that welding on the outside is required because the bushing/bracket fits there. Mark, can you confirm?
markb
I thought the same, that somehow BRAG wound up on World.

Nice to see a clean install. I'll be doing that someday soon.
McMark
You don't weld in the wheel well because there is a large aluminum collar that bolts on there. Welding would make it 'unsmooth'. The welding I did is probably way overkill anyway. IMHO, the welds only hold the plate in place so that you can bolt the collar on. The original metal is sandwiched between the steel bracket and the aluminum collar. That compression sandwich is what holds everything together.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2009, 03:49 PM) *

You don't weld in the wheel well because there is a large aluminum collar that bolts on there. Welding would make it 'unsmooth'. The welding I did is probably way overkill anyway. IMHO, the welds only hold the plate in place so that you can bolt the collar on. The original metal is sandwiched between the steel bracket and the aluminum collar. That compression sandwich is what holds everything together.

I have the same bar, that's why I asked. It's too pretty on the outside IMO. happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
BRAG laugh.gif

but yeah, sick work. I like to throw a few tack welds on em also...
ericread
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2009, 02:21 PM) *

I'm so funny in my head. Wait, that didn't come out right... blink.gif

Yeah, I think it came out pretty well... rolleyes.gif
r_towle
Yup, I thought the same thing...you are funny in your own mind Mark.

We did something similar for Rockets car...we did not have the inners, they were welded in the previous car.
We took some 1/8 plate and cut it to shape, welded on a few nuts and did what you did...a full weld in job.
Not sure if its needed, but mine does come loose and needs to be tightened once a year...maybe I will throw a few welds on mine...hmmm

Rich
Krieger
Good work Mark. What about some reinforcing on the fenderwell side like the build in excellence. Any opinions out there?
LarryR
That Looks great! beerchug.gif
McMark
Engman sells a plate to reinforce this area. But this is a street car, so stresses will be low and extra bulk is weight not strength in this scenario.
johnnie5
Nice...I am getting ready to install one as well, I can only hope my cuts come out as clean as yours. aktion035.gif Like the tack in idea as well. beer.gif

Krieger
63 $ incl shipping...they sure are nice though.
mightyohm
Nice work, Mark!
EdwardBlume
Solid! Good work! beer.gif
tracks914
Are the factory ones welded in place?
McMark
Yep, but I don't have a picture of them. They're spot welded, IIRC.
sixnotfour
Mark, is that a new 914 to you ? I see it in your av. so I am wondering if your going green in 09.
charliew
I haven't got a sway bar yet but I would rather drill a few holes in the fenderwell and button or rosette weld the plate in. If welding around the perimeter is to weatherproof the area the bottom didn't get welded so it will still need to be sealed. I guess if the suspension is still in this might be the way to go. Thanks for showing your solution though. It does show the complications of squeezing these parts in.
SirAndy
QUOTE(charliew @ Jan 21 2009, 10:39 AM) *

If welding around the perimeter is to weatherproof the area

No. The Swaybar puts a lot of stress on the thin sheetmetal. Without welding, the metal around the holes for the bolts will eventually rip and break. Welding the backing plate helps transferring the load to a larger area.

bye1.gif Andy
zonedoubt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2009, 11:11 AM) *

No. The Swaybar puts a lot of stress on the thin sheetmetal. Without welding, the metal around the holes for the bolts will eventually rip and break. Welding the backing plate helps transferring the load to a larger area.

bye1.gif Andy

That's what I thought.

This is to be my first welding project on my car. welder.gif
McMark
Mark, is that a new 914 to you ?

Nope, it's a customer car. My ugly black 914 is currently sans-engine and partway through some hell hole work. And the Aubergine 914 is still sitting under a cover. rolleyes.gif
McMark
This car got a hell hole repair as well. This one was also by personal best. My favorite part is that the longitudinal top patch still retains the flange that goes up. Apparently my painting skills aren't up to par though. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ssstikircr
Good job now I know how to do my sway bar.

Does any one know if a 911 front bar will fit in a 914? idea.gif
echocanyons
I am so pleased with the work that you have done on my cars Mark.

This repair is no exception, definitely worth the trip!

welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Thank you!
johnnie5
QUOTE(ssstikircr @ Jan 31 2009, 04:06 PM) *

Good job now I know how to do my sway bar.

Does any one know if a 911 front bar will fit in a 914? idea.gif

Don't 911 front bars run under the car and 914 thru body?
McMark
Some 911s have under body bars, some have through body. But I'm not sure about the interchangeability with 914s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.