Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smokey the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JJ914
OK here I go again, thought the problem was gone but I was wrong. Heres what is going on. Its a 2.0 with a mild cam and 40 IDFs. Carbs have f11 emulsion tubes,200 air correction,32 vents, 125 mains and 55 idles. When the car is cold it runs great pulls hard and no smoke, when the car gets up to temp after some driving it begans to put out some nice white smoke. It does it the most when you first give it gas, it smokes some at idle and is ok when the car is going. The smoke smells rich or maybe it is very lean. Here is what I know. I check the fuel pressure and it is at 3 psi, been through the carbs and rebuilt them. They tuned to best lean idle with problem and all the carbs are flowing equally. I added a oil breather box. Set timimg to 27 degrees. Put new plugs in also.

Will a car running very lean smoke and how does it look compared to running rich? The smoke from my car smells very bad and it gives me a headache if I dont get some fresh air.

I am just about at my wits end with this, I put the new 2.0 this summer and I just cant get it to work right, its hard to be cool in nice 914 that looks like a steam train.

I talked with a friend tonight that said it sounds like it leaning out when it gets warm. Could that be my problem?
Thanks

904svo
Just a WAG, It sounds like the crankshaft vent system is block, that is the vent tubes from the heads and the vent where you put oil in is not vented propertly.
This will cause that problem, the crankshsft pressure will push oil vapor pass the
valve guides when it gets warm.

With the mains jets you are runing, it should be lean, you need 130 to 135 mains
I am running the same setup with 130 mains
ericread
QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 25 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Just a WAG, It sounds like the crankshaft vent system is block, that is the vent tubes from the heads and the vent where you put oil in is not vented propertly.
This will cause that problem, the crankshsft pressure will push oil vapor pass the
valve guides when it gets warm.

With the mains jets you are runing, it should be lean, you need 130 to 135 mains
I am running the same setup with 130 mains

agree.gif White smoke is oil - probably coming from the valve guides.

Eric
JJ914
I had just add a oil breather box to the engine. Someone had filled in he ports on the heads so I opened them up and ran the hoses to the new breather box, along with the hose from the crackcase vent. I hoped that would fix the problem but it still did the same thing as before. headbang.gif THe heads where just rebuilt by some dude in Texas so I hope the valve stem seals are not bad already.

Could running very lean make white smoke too?

Maybe I should check the radiator to see if its low on water. Hey thats it... poke.gif

championgt1
Bad head gasket! biggrin.gif
904svo
QUOTE(JJ914 @ Jan 26 2009, 05:50 PM) *

I had just add a oil breather box to the engine. Someone had filled in he ports on the heads so I opened them up and ran the hoses to the new breather box, along with the hose from the crackcase vent. I hoped that would fix the problem but it still did the same thing as before. headbang.gif THe heads where just rebuilt by some dude in Texas so I hope the valve stem seals are not bad already.

Could running very lean make white smoke too?

Maybe I should check the radiator to see if its low on water. Hey thats it... poke.gif

Is the breather box open to the air? If not vent it to the open air.
JJ914
I think so. It is a empi style breather. I mounted it on the firewall above the engine so the oil can drain back. It has 3 ports on it, one connected to the left head, one to the right head and the other to the fitting at the oil filler. The box has a mesh element and a wire grate over that. Does it need other venting?
Mark Henry
There's a bit of your problem, it has to vent to a carb or the atmosphere. I hate those cheap boxes, drippy shit all over.

There are no guide seals on a T4, not that I've haven't seen a bit of useless rubber on a stem doing dick all. If it's vented proper.... guides or rings.
underthetire
My oil breather has a PCV valve (73). Make sure that is working. Its not obvious its there until you pull the fill neck off.
JJ914
Help me understand, isnt the breather designed to vent to the atmosphere from between the box and the boxs lid? So if the hoses from the heads and case are connected to the box it is vent to the atmosphere.
My filler neck does not a PCV it is a straight connection.
bobhasissues
QUOTE(JJ914 @ Jan 27 2009, 02:46 PM) *

Help me understand, isnt the breather designed to vent to the atmosphere from between the box and the boxs lid? So if the hoses from the heads and case are connected to the box it is vent to the atmosphere.
My filler neck does not a PCV it is a straight connection.

Yes it does vent air at the box, the hoses are to reutrn oil because some will find it's way up there.
JJ914
If the breather is installed correctly, then I am looking at valve guides or rings now. This motor was just rebuilt by a trusted 914 guy and doesnt have 200 miles on the yet. It does have total seal rings in it which may be the problem. Can it be they are just not seated good yet. Is there anything I can other than drop the motor and open it up?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.