Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought items through classifieds from Randy Webb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav
I bought some items for my car off of Randy Webb of webmotorsports.com.

He sent me some of the stuff but hasn't sent everything. Still
missing a drivers seat.

I have phoned him several times to get the items and he always says his email has dumped and lost my contact info.

I talked to him last month where he assured me that he would
send it and he was glad I called because, once again, he lost my contact info.

This seems strange since he runs an online business webbmortorsports.com

I was wondering what recorse I have to get my seat or my
money back.

He lives in Denver and I'm in San Jose, CA.

I guess I'm out of luck with this guy.

Oh, this has been going on for over a year!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Olav
Qarl
I think he's very active on the 911 Pelican Board.

I would try there. You could try posting there too, and maybe he'll shape up.
J P Stein
Qarl:
Whoa dude, that's a different Randy Webb.. the PP guy is from Oreygun. I solt him my 73 9eleben....BTW, he's a lawyer. ph34r.gif
vortrex
I think this is the randy webb in denver who was selling the 3.2L 914-6 on the old classifieds. after apparently not getting enough responses he posted some sort of flame ad to everyone. guy seemed like a bit of a nut case.
Scott S
Olav -
I just threw out an email to our 914 group in Colorado to see if he is a member or if anyone knows of him. I will let you know.
ArtechnikA
our in-house Mini guy has definitely heard of Randy Webb, and the CO-based Mini website... said he wouldn't do business with him and seeing how the gold-plated snake-oil device "M7 Plasma Booster" is touted on the technical forum there i tend to agree... (he did mention that much of the forum traffic seems to be Webb shills ...)

to the extent that Webb actually ships product he's been paid for there's no problem with being a marketer, even of questionable products, but if the part is paid for and not shipped, that's definitely a problem.

he's said he'll check into the forum and watch the messages there. if Webb has crossed the line from flake to fraud the word will spread in the Mini community pretty quickly, i'd think ...
Qarl
My bad...

For some reason, I thought I had researched that the Randy Webb on PP was in Colorado.

I could swear that one time I looked at the location of a Randy Webb on PP and saw in his profile that it said Colorado.

I guess not.

Never mind.
seanery
Olav,
if you used the US mail to send payment or if he used US Mail to send partial shipments, then it is Mail Fraud and the FBI (I believe) is the agency for that one.
olav
QUOTE(vortrex @ Feb 19 2004, 11:57 AM)
I think this is the randy webb in denver who was selling the 3.2L 914-6 on the old classifieds. after apparently not getting enough responses he posted some sort of flame ad to everyone. guy seemed like a bit of a nut case.

That's the same guy.

Thanks for everone's suggestions and help.

The payment was sent via US Mail. Partial shipment was via UPS.

When I talked to Randy last he got pretty mad at me because I was
stating the fact that he somehow kept "losing" my contact info and
he said he didn't like what I was implying, that he was being dishonest.

Me stating facts got his undies in a bundle.

He hung up on me as a matter of fact.

That is why I'm coming here to get some ideas. I don't think
he will honor his end of the bargan.

I doubt the FBI will care about $100.00 but he does have his online business so there is an angle.

I hope this story can get back to him to show him that he honesty is the best policy.
vortrex
QUOTE(olav @ Feb 19 2004, 12:55 PM)
Me stating facts got his undies in a bundle.

He hung up on me as a matter of fact.

that is so funny. when he was selling his 914-6 he didn't mention it had sat for some time with standing water in the cabin that rusted the floors at least partially. when I asked why he didn't mention this in his ad he got all worked up.
jtf914
Funny, I just dropped off some deep dish 15x6 wheels I bought from him about a year ago to have my tires installed. He told me;
"Straight and true.  I don't think there is any road rash or curb marks, but I may be wrong - if there is it's minor."

Minor MY ASS finger.gif The price was still good so I kept em, now I'm really hoping they are straight.......
Scott
You may want to e-mail the cops in Colorado. You could ask them to go by and see him about this situation. If you lived in Colorado and had done business with him, they would question him. Why not now. Many police depts take dim views of people in their area defrauding customers on the web these days.
seanery
Also,
we can ban him from this place.
Part Pricer
Looks like someone has brought it to his attention.

http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forums/view...topic.php?t=279
Ferg
I met him once two years ago at a auto x, and later heard the rust story associated with his six that was for sale. Other than that I have had no experience. However If I can assist let me know.
Bummer. mad.gif
Ferg
Slowpoke
This is almost no recourse for people ripped off by fraud on the internet. I lost $2200 to a guy in Portland. He got away with between $60,000 to $80,000 as estimated by the AOPA. Selling aviation radios he didn't have. I notified FBI computer fraud division, USPS mail fraud division, Portland Police computer fraud division, Oregon state attorney general, Ebay fraud and what ever is the local Portland TV station up there that does TV interviews of some sort when people get ripped off and other people I can't even remember. No one did anything that I or anyone else that got ripped off I contacted ever knew about. They were all real nice when I filed letters, email etc. though.
Two weeks after he was banned on ebay he was back there with a different name. I caught on to him and let ebay know about it. But, I'm sure he is still doing this type of thing. Kiss off the two hundred and move on. There is just too much of this going on to use getting caught as any deterent. When I buy something now, I just write it off as a lost until it shows up on my door.
I sometimes send parts to people and tell them to send me the money went they get the part. I sometimes wait months to get paid. It sucks no matter what end of the deal you are on.
Sorry for your lost. Maybe your experience will be different, hope so. sad.gif
Peter
Scott S
I just sent an email to the info web address. Being in Colorado, maybe it will get you a response. Here is the email:
There is a thread forming on the 914 club web page (www.914world.com) on some products ordered from you, payment being sent, but he has only received a partial shipment from you. He also says when he has called to question the situation he has been hung up on. I thought it might be something you want to address before the rumor mill takes over. You know how close knit the auto aftermarket/collectors circle is, especially between all of us in Colorado.
Hope it all works out.
Scott S

------------------------
Sincerely,
Scott E Schroeder
Corporate Credit Manager
Gambro BCT
scott.schroeder@gambrobct.com
800.525.2623 ext 2174
303.876.9127 fax
QUOTE(Slowpoke @ Feb 19 2004, 02:28 PM)

I sometimes send parts to people and tell them to send me the money went they get the part.

I just bought all my engine parts from Mark Henry. (AKA Mark's Air Cooled) He put all the parts (probably a weeks pay for him) in the mail before he even knew I wrote the cheque. (I hope he's recieved it by now)
My point is this, some dealers and men are honorable, others are schmucks. Let's point out the good ones aktion035.gif and blacklist the bad ones. fighting19.gif
Eric_Shea
Send Gint over there to kick his ass... Gint can take'm. $20 bucks on Gint! chair.gif
randywebb
Yow! First Thx for pointing out that this guy is not me, and for alerting me to this thread. I am the Randy Webb in Eugene Oregon who bought JP's 911 (now getting a 3.2L BTW) and often posts on Pelican and Rennlist (usually along the lines of skeptical scientist type stuff on technical matters) - (I'm a scientist (for the last few decades) and a lawyer too (specializing in protecting endangered species).

Now. I don't know that guy. He is not a relative, etc. Also, he should lose the right to use this fine name....

Some friendly advice (and I'm not acting as a nybody's lawyer here, OK) - buy via credit card and refuse to pay if you don't get the goods. It it's already too late for that, then contact the Consumer Protection office of the state the guy's business is in. You can try a BBB complaint also. The FBI and cops won't do anything.

The only other option is to file against him in court. If it's a small claim, then you'd probably have to file in his home state. State laws differ but in Orygun a small claim goes up to $5,000. That may not work for you - but maybe you have a friend who could help and that lives in his state.

Good luck.
drew365
(I'm a scientist (for the last few decades) and a lawyer too (specializing in protecting endangered species).

But what do you play on TV? laugh.gif
Just kidding, welcome to the board.
Gint
Wow. Sorry I was too busy at work today to see this thread earlier Olav.

What I do know (fact):

In November/December of 2002 I did a pre-purchase inspection of his 914/6 with 3.2 installed for a club member. Said club member DID buy the car and by his own account was happy with it.

The floor pans (the so-called rusty pans) were completely replaced when I looked at the car. So there was no fraud there.

I have his home and cell numbers on a sticky on my monitor, still, after over a year. I can't remember where he lives though or how to get there. South of Denver actually (unless he moved), Highlands Ranch or Littleton IIRC.

I also have the email address he was using at that time.

One of my freinds is a Westminster cop, and I have another that is a state trooper.

My experience:

He seemed like a reasonable guy at the time. I even had to wait for a Fuch to be delivered from Florida. They were as advertised.

Having said all of that:

If enough of you guys say he's a schmuck, I would tend to believe that over my brief encounter with him. 'Cause I know yous guys better than I know him.

Olav,

Let me know if and how I can be of assistance.
RandyBMC
Wow.

Well, there are always two sides to a story, and this is certainly one of those times.

I have always tried to do my best to be as honest as possible. I sold the 914-6 out to someone in the Bay area, and they were very happy with the car, and still own it the last time I checked.

I sold some wheels to the person who checked out the car for him, at a reasonable price, and they were pretty much the way I said they were as well. He was able to check them out before he bought them.

I started a business dealing with the MINI, and sold my 914. I had been a 914 nut since I was 14, so I had amassed quite the collection of parts. I needed the room and cash, so I cleared out most all of it. Olav had called and we made a list of the things he wanted. He purchased several items, for a VERY reasonable price. During our conversation, he mentioned that his interior seat inserts weren't the way he wanted them, and I let him know that I had a seat from the six that may work. As it was in storage in Florida, I let him know that I didn't know when it would ship. The rest of the items he bought from me were shipped straight away, and as far as I know, he was happy with them.

My computer did crash with his info in an e-mail. I had yet to go back to Florida, so I hadn't even realized I had lost his info when he contacted me to ask about the seat. I let him know that I would be going back over the holidays, and I could probably ship it then. I, and I know how irresponsible this is, lost his info for a second time. This is a seat, however, that is far from perfect, but had the inserts I thought he could use.

We talked again, and I let him know that I would have my Granddad, who lives in Florida, ship it to him. I did give my Granddad the info, but as he is 81, helping me out with boxing and shipping isn't high on his priority list. I e-mailed this info to Olav just this week.

Olav, for heaven's sake, let me know what you think a fair refund is for the seat, and I'll cut you a check if you don't want to wait. Let me know how else you would like this handled if you don't think that sounds fair. I did NOT hang up on you at any time, and can't believe the portrayal. I have been dealing with hundreds of MINI customers over the last year and a half, and I think you would find talking with them that I am anything but unfair or malicious.

Call straight away to resolve this please - 720-841-1002 Work, 720-344-0210 Home. I'm awake right now if you would like to call late.

Thank you,
Randy Webb
3962 E. Garnet Court
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126
dmenche914
maybe the I.R.S. might be interested in his parts "business" If he is ripping people off, he probably also is not reporting his income to the tax man. Might be an interesting try. It worked on getting Al Capone!
dave
EdwardBlume
I love happy endings. smlove2.gif
RandyBMC
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Feb 19 2004, 10:37 PM)
maybe the I.R.S. might be interested in his parts "business" If he is ripping people off, he probably also is not reporting his income to the tax man. Might be an interesting try. It worked on getting Al Capone!
dave

Actually, I just am finishing up taxes. I really did claim everything - I didn't even "zero out" the business (like I legitimately could have).

I have a Colorado Sales Tax license, and a Federal EIN number, as well as accounts with several major vendors. I am a distributor for most of the MINI aftermarket, and have developed several of my own products.

I want to do what is right by Olav. I also want to be sure that I maintain my reputation that I have earned through very hard work with over 900 MINI customers since I began my busniess in 2002.

I hope to have this resolved in the near future smile.gif .

Randy
Andyrew
Ekk.. harsh way to enter the 914club..

Well Welcome, and I hope you get to get all the matters resolved and you become part of this community!!

wavey.gif

Andrew
RandyBMC
Thanks Andrew! I'm sure it will get taken care of - I'm not a big fan of having folks unhappy with me.

I have had a bunch of 914s - my first car was a '76 2.0 that I bought by saving all of the cash I made while pumping gas in high school, then working at a British Car shop (which made me love 914s that much more!). I had a 914 with a 2.7 six in it, and my last car before I got into the MINI was the 914-6 with the 3.2 in it. I still miss that car. I worked at Black Forest, racing them in Vintage, EP, ITA and GT-2 as well. All in all, a great little car - and it looks like the community has really come together since I was really involved with them (late 80's, early 90's).

Just so it is clear - I avoid selling snake oil. I don't sell the Plasma Booster that was mentioned, though I'm still not convinced it doesn't do what it says it does (increase secondary voltage). You can take a look at my website under the garage section at the product evals, where I did take a look at it to see if I wanted to carry it. I have worked hard at building the right product line, but I only sell parts for the MINI (not Porsches). The transaction I had with Olav was a private seller to a private buyer - not a part of the business. I was and still am trying to grow a new business, and regrettably, Olav's seat fell behind on the priority list to take care of my customers and continue with product evaluation and development. Time just kept screaming by, and Olav has understandably gotten tired of waiting.

If anyone has an issue with me, please contact me directly so that I can work that out. I am surprised to see how fast this thread has gotten out of hand, when there was only one side to the story, and the only person here who has met me has stated that I seemed like a good guy to him. Please, if there are issues, let me know!

Randy

PS - Love all the emoticons!!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(RandyBMC @ Feb 20 2004, 12:55 AM)
I don't sell the Plasma Booster that was mentioned...

glad to hear it.

i apologize if i created or fostered any misconceptions.
clean914
i don't know guys, maybe this was a one-time thing or miscommunication. Check out this thread i saw on NAM:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/modul...&topic=23208&32

not only do like 20 people rush to his defense, he posts his side of the story(same thing he did here basically). It makes for an interesting read and i can see where there was a miscommunication.

Olav, if i were you i would just either tell him to ship it now (either he needs to go to florida or have his grandfather ship it now), or get your money back. After all, he said he would do that.
seanery
Randy,
please just make sure to ship the stuff. I see, from your post on the Mini board, that this is about a year old deal. tsk, tsk, tsk. That's far too long. It seems like your Mini guys like and appreciate your business. Please don't make them wait for a year, that is far too long.
olav
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all you assistance on and off this board.

Randy did get in touch and seems open to resolving this on going problem.

I'm just going to include some of the email correspondence for posterity. And to provide material evidence.

First response for initial inquiry:
Date: Thu Nov 21, 2002 05:47:06 PM US/Pacific
To: olava@mac.com
Subject: Re: 914-6 parts..

Olav,

I still have the parts you have listed. You can reach me at 720-344-0210.
Thanks for the interest.

Randy

A follow up which clearly includes the seat:
Date: Sun Nov 24, 2002 09:28:55 PM US/Pacific

Olav,

Been swamped. I still have to make the trip to UPS to find out the shipping
for you. I'll send everything but the driver seat until I sell a few things
from FL - then I'll send that too. Thanks for the patience.

Randy

Yet another follow up with wiring harness and seat mentioned.
Date: Wed Dec 04, 2002 02:05:20 PM US/Pacific

Address is 3962 E. Garnet Ct. Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Check is fine. If I come across a bumper, I'll give you a call. If you have
the list of parts you wanted handy, it would help out. I have them, 'cause I
looked over it to price everything, I just don't have it in front of me.
I'll send off the seat and wiring harness stuff the next time I get down to
FL.

Randy

First email dump reported!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun Jan 05, 2003 01:25:45 PM US/Pacific

Thank God you e-mailed! I've been waiting to hear from you. My computer
dumped everything!!!!! I need to get your address, and I think I know all of
the stuff you want - the e-brake, the backpad, the footrest, what other
things are there? I am VERY sorry for this. I got your check, and I'll send
it out first thing tomorrow!

Randy
720-344-0210

Another follow up in September to get the rest of my stuff.
Date: Mon Sep 29, 2003 09:04:13 AM US/Pacific
Subject: Re: Fwd: 914-6 parts..
Reply-To: randy@mini-motorsport.com

Olav,

How are you? I think the last time we spoke I mentioned that I would
probably be back in Florida for the holidays, and that I would send it
then.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Could you also resend the address that you want me to send the items to?
It has been a while, and I want to make sure nothing has changed.

Thanks,
Randy

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:34:13 AM US/Pacific
To: info@mini-motorsport.com
Subject: Fwd: 914-6 parts..

Randy,

Here is the text of one of your messages.

I was wondering when you will be sending the seat and seals?

Thanks,

Olav

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri Dec 06, 2002 01:23:32 PM US/Pacific

steering wheel
backpad and passenger seat
footrest
basketweave kit
parking brake handle and cables

I'll send the seals and driver seat later.

Randy