Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Tools in the pits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ArtechnikA
I know some of you guys are affiliated with pro and serious sportsman racing, so maybe there's something going on in the rules that's not obvious to the observer.

I watched a bunch of work being done in the pits and garage area during coverage of the 24 Hours of Daytona this year, but I've observed the same at many events.

I see the mechanics doing stuff like removing and replacing the gearbox crash bumper (to get access to the tailcone for a gear cluster replacement) and replacing front bodywork/splitter/undertray stuff. Invariably they are using a crank-style 'speed wrench' on maybe a dozen fasteners.

Even in the behind-the-wall and garage areas they will occasionally use a portable battery-powered drill or impact wrench - which really confuses me 'cause i'd be -more- concerned about sparking a fire with an electric tool in the garage - like the Mazda team that was busy drilling out rivets to replace a leaking fuel cell (!).

We know there's pneumatic gear galore (tire-change impact guns, air jacks) presumptively being run with bottled dry nitrogen.

So why aren't the mechanics using air tools for 'other' repairs ?

I can -maybe- see that for installation, you can 'feel' the torque needed for an M6 or M8 fastener and run no risk of stripping or fastener breakage (although there is a reason there are regulators on the air lines...) but for removal, I'm just not seeing it. What am I missing?
URY914
I think it has to do with potablitiy. No air lines to trip over, get tangled or not reach.
J P Stein
I had an old timer (back when I wasn't sad.gif ) tell me about fumes "If you can breathe in it, you can smoke in it". I'm not that cavalier about fumes, but nor am I paranoid about them.
I agree with Paul about the portability issue. If I have more than one lead, air, electric, water......they will invariably become a rats nest that would make any bass fisherman cringe.
6freak
batteries power tools maybe ???..no trip`n there
sixnotfour
I observered the same thing , any battery powered tool would have sped up th removal install of the gear cluster.
Dont know why they dont use em?
TimT
I cant remember which group it is that I race with, but the rules are specific regarding electric tools over pit wall. It a no no...

It is kind of counter intuitive as there are instances of cars coming into the pits with glowing red headers, overheated brakes, and of course the high energy ignition systems... all of which you cause vapors to flash... also the static charge that builds up in the car...

Every notice the ground strips that F1 cars stop on?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 3 2009, 07:30 PM) *

I cant remember which group it is that I race with, but the rules are specific regarding electric tools over pit wall. It a no no...

which I totally get - which is why I originally asked about air...
(I understand the air line tangling issue too...)

And yet you -can- use electric tools in the garages. Yet more counter-intuitive stuff.

I know - if it made sense, you wouldn't need a rule for it...
Todd Enlund
My guess... a speed handle is simply *not* going to fail. No dead battery, no empty air tank.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Feb 8 2009, 12:43 PM) *

My guess... a speed handle is simply *not* going to fail. No dead battery, no empty air tank.

For which reason I think it's a great tool to have available at the ready.
I don't see why it's always the go-to-first tool if there isn't some obscure rule requiring it.

If the air tank is empty they have bigger issues, 'cause the air jacks they also depend on won't work.
SirAndy
Disclaimer: I'm no pro racer nor do i play one on TV ...

We use air tools in the paddock all the time and they work great if you're not in a hurry.
If you're trying to fix something inbetween runs, the damn hose *always* gets in the way, especially if you have more than one person running around the car.

I've tripped over the thing more than once ...

If you have two hours between rungroups, compressed air is a godsend.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.