Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Power Tools in the pits, what's the deal ?
ArtechnikA
post Feb 2 2009, 07:29 AM
Post #1

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

I know some of you guys are affiliated with pro and serious sportsman racing, so maybe there's something going on in the rules that's not obvious to the observer.

I watched a bunch of work being done in the pits and garage area during coverage of the 24 Hours of Daytona this year, but I've observed the same at many events.

I see the mechanics doing stuff like removing and replacing the gearbox crash bumper (to get access to the tailcone for a gear cluster replacement) and replacing front bodywork/splitter/undertray stuff. Invariably they are using a crank-style 'speed wrench' on maybe a dozen fasteners.

Even in the behind-the-wall and garage areas they will occasionally use a portable battery-powered drill or impact wrench - which really confuses me 'cause i'd be -more- concerned about sparking a fire with an electric tool in the garage - like the Mazda team that was busy drilling out rivets to replace a leaking fuel cell (!).

We know there's pneumatic gear galore (tire-change impact guns, air jacks) presumptively being run with bottled dry nitrogen.

So why aren't the mechanics using air tools for 'other' repairs ?

I can -maybe- see that for installation, you can 'feel' the torque needed for an M6 or M8 fastener and run no risk of stripping or fastener breakage (although there is a reason there are regulators on the air lines...) but for removal, I'm just not seeing it. What am I missing?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 12:21 AM