Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Cooling flaps' in top of engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cupomeat
QUOTE(ME733 @ Oct 16 2009, 04:07 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif ...WELL I am exasperated at the lack of creative thought on this subject matter by a few of you guys that are stuck in the monkey see monkey do philosophy of engine building. with your philosophy, and attitude, NOTHING, on the 914 should be altered or improved, as it cannot possably work better, run better, cooler, or with more H.P. ..So , hopefully as my final input to this post I Will continue to build.em my way and you build,em your way. staying as you are in the dark ages of technology. the end. lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif

Generally, when dealing with something that was engineered, each piece has a purpose and unless you either determine that you no longer need the purpose (like removing the spray shields from the back of the brakes as you never drive in the rain) you, in an engineering manner, should either retain the item, or develope something to replace it.

This is especially true for WELL designed cars, as many parts on cheaper cars can be improved with a better piece. That being said, the T4 was a very robust aircooled motor for its time and it produced a reasonable amount of power/litre for its time. As we have "improved" the engines we have traded out pieces and improved pieces, but it is VERY rare when we are able to eliminate a piece all together (from the engine, except for things like a heater).

I am just trying to make sure that those who are less engineering inclined think they can just start eliminating parts without consequence.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ME733 @ Oct 16 2009, 12:07 PM) *

... I am ... creative ... you guys .. are ... monkey ...

yellowsleep[1].gif
johnnie5
QUOTE(ME733 @ Oct 16 2009, 01:07 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif ...WELL I am exasperated at the lack of creative thought on this subject matter by a few of you guys that are stuck in the monkey see monkey do philosophy of engine building. with your philosophy, and attitude, NOTHING, on the 914 should be altered or improved, as it cannot possably work better, run better, cooler, or with more H.P. ..So , hopefully as my final input to this post I Will continue to build.em my way and you build,em your way. staying as you are in the dark ages of technology. the end. lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif

smoke.gif

Does anybody know if I can buy a new bellows t stat for a bus (and if that will work) so as to get my 'obsolete' warming/cooling flaps functioning properly again?

Or does anyone have a good used 914 one?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Oct 16 2009, 02:52 PM) *
smoke.gif

Does anybody know if I can buy a new bellows t stat for a bus (and if that will work) so as to get my 'obsolete' warming/cooling flaps functioning properly again?

Johnnie, the flaps that you see in the picture that I posted on page 2 came from a 1.8 that I still have in the back of a truck. I can see if the Bellows mech is still there for you and I'm in Oceanside, PM me if so and I can check, but being in SD,
I've set mine to the default cooling position and I'm sure that will be fine.
johnnie5
RiqueMar, I have been running the flaps on my 2056 in the cooling position for almost the last year as well. But Joe Ricard makes a good point in post #10, which has to do with proper engine warm-up. Lets face it - the engineers at VW/Porsche didn't go to all the trouble to design this system for no reason, even if it isn't as cold in San Diego as it is in Germany...

I am going through my 914 trying to get everything in place and working. Things I rarely use, if even at all. Things like interior heat and defrost, windshield wipers and squirters. So I decided I do want the original cable/stat in place and functioning. After all, it did work once upon a time...

So, ya got one for me??? smile.gif
neil30076
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Oct 16 2009, 04:06 PM) *

RiqueMar, I have been running the flaps on my 2056 in the cooling position for almost the last year as well. But Joe Ricard makes a good point in post #10, which has to do with proper engine warm-up. Lets face it - the engineers at VW/Porsche didn't go to all the trouble to design this system for no reason, even if it isn't as cold in San Diego as it is in Germany...

I am going through my 914 trying to get everything in place and working. Things I rarely use, if even at all. Things like interior heat and defrost, windshield wipers and squirters. So I decided I do want the original cable/stat in place and functioning. After all, it did work once upon a time...

So, ya got one for me??? smile.gif

Johnnie, i removed all the creature comfort heat controls on mine, so if you need the parts that go 'up-front' under the hood to deflect the heat into the cabin let me know, also the heat control that mounts to the floor. Maybe even the dash controls -
Im in SD / RB
tat2dphreak
a bus one would be the same... but still NLA new. I bought a supposed good one, from a reputable seller, and it was too expanded and upon close inspection was cracked :|

the cables are available new, but the t-stat is not.
pilothyer
Wayne....and.....johnnie5... I am almost certain that George at A.A. Stocks / Sells the thermostat bellows New....used ones in good working condition are hard to come by as they seem to expand to the open position and even if put in the freezer won't make them contract....Jerry
JFJ914
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Oct 16 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Everything explained here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html . No, they're NLA. Maybe you can find an NOS one somewhere or adapt a Type 1 as described.

VW engineers put this stuff on the engine so it would warm up quickly and stay at a temperature that results in good performance and low engine wear. I use mine, re engineer at your own peril. All of this "you don't need it" is pulled out of the burro.gif . Nobody has tested their engine to failure both ways to form an informed opinion. As always, read, ask, FILTER the replies, research and then form your own opinion.
Millerwelds
My cable for the flaps is modified to attach to the heater lever (no heating stuff being used) on the floor next to the driver's seat so I can maually set the flaps to warm up mode. Once the oil temp gauge shows some good temps I drop the lever to set the flaps to full cool mode. It just makes sense (to me) to get the engine up to temp quickly.

johnnie5
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 17 2009, 08:15 AM) *

Everything explained here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html . No, they're NLA. Maybe you can find an NOS one somewhere or adapt a Type 1 as described.

VW engineers put this stuff on the engine so it would warm up quickly and stay at a temperature that results in good performance and low engine wear. I use mine, re engineer at your own peril. All of this "you don't need it" is pulled out of the burro.gif . Nobody has tested their engine to failure both ways to form an informed opinion. As always, read, ask, FILTER the replies, research and then form your own opinion.

Very informative link, thank you John.
RiqueMar
Johnnie, I'm at the shop right now and will check today and have an answer tonight. It really only depends if it's working or not because I know I'm not going to need it.

Neil, if Johnnie passes up on those items, you might have a kid in Oceanside that is interested. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.