Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another eBay find, '73 misrepresented and no VIN tag ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...%3A1|240%3A1308

This is *not* a '71 body! And there's no VIN tag on the A-Pillar ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
r_towle
looks like a 73/73...not sure based upon the front trunk.
Did he post a vin number.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 7 2009, 05:48 PM) *

looks like a 73/73...not sure based upon the front trunk.
Did he post a vin number.

Rich

Yes, i meant '73, typo ...
shades.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, dunno how it got by the automated ebay thingy. They pretty much require a VIN to be posted.
LarryR
I guess it could be possible that the back pad, wheels, front bumper and engine were all swapped out for later model stuff.

I am guessing this could very well be since its also originally a silver car that is now red. Sure not worth the almost 7k he is asking IMO.
SirAndy
QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 7 2009, 05:58 PM) *

I guess it could be possible that the back pad, wheels, front bumper and engine were all swapped out for later model stuff.

Yeah, but nobody welds in the brace in the front trunk. That didn't show up until '73 ...

And then there's the movable passenger seat ...

And a functional center console (wiring isn't in the car until '73) ...

And the sidevents on the dash ...

And the tar mat in the engine bay ...

shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
Oh, and the VIN tag on the headlight bucket is missing too!

stirthepot.gif Andy
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 7 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Yeah, but nobody welds in the brace in the front trunk. That didn't show up until '73 ...

I am Andy- bought the brace (in 2 pieces) for the front of my 70. Hard part is going to be getting it to fit over the oil cooler. I like to "hot rod" w/ factory parts biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
Ya know, one of the things that pisses me off the most, is people who represent something that is TOTALLY BOGUS. This car is an example, from a guy who has a 100% rating? Screws the rest of us who are honest. There is nothing correct about this 914! In fact, I've notified eBay about this car. And, I emailed th seller.

I'll bet it's a "clipped" 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 7 2009, 06:25 PM) *

I'll bet it's a "clipped" 914.

Actually, it's silver front to rear. I'm guessing it's a "rebody" ...

dry.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
But doesn't the 912 manual automaticly change it into a 71? rolleyes.gif

Then you click your heels three times and say: "There's no place like evil bay, there's no place like evil bay, there's no place like evil bay..." mad.gif
SirAndy
I emailed the guy, here's his response:

clear title in hand. We do not give the vin #'s on our older cars as we have almost been scammed by a scammer that tried to get a title for one of our cars in another state. It is titled as a 71.

Well, that settles it then! Or not ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
johnnie5
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 7 2009, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 7 2009, 05:58 PM) *

And then there's the movable passenger seat ...

And a functional center console (wiring isn't in the car until '73) ...

And the sidevents on the dash ...

And the tar mat in the engine bay ...

shades.gif Andy

And the silver dot gauges...150 mph speedo... stirthepot.gif
So.Cal.914
My early 74 has silver dot's. I smell a Rat.
orange914
ain't nothin' going to get by this crew. biggrin.gif
I just looked at it on Ebay,and its a "Dog" Stay away from it or it will bite you...
TC 914-8
Did anyone notice the tach. It has left and right turn signial indicator lights, I thought that was a 911 thing ???
So.Cal.914
early 914's too.
r_towle
Lets say for instance that at some point in time...it was re-titled with the wrong year....just due to someone mistyping.

The VIN tag is on the inner fender behind the headlight bucket.
The VIN is also stamped on the top of the inner fender.
There may be a VIN behind the windshield...I cant see

Its a car with a VIN...how hard is it to get the registry to see that the number and the year are mismatched...and get it fixed?

Rich
LvSteveH
He may not want to give the VIN out because it's a non-porsche, state issued VIN. That secondary blue and silver tag rivited to the inner fender next to where the stock VIN should be means the DMV has gotten involved somewhere.

That tag could also contain a proper porsche VIN, it just wouldn't be the one the car was born with given the late chassis. It's one of those situations where it may be technically legal because they went through the DMV, but in either case it's less than ideal.

I had a 914 with title issues a few years ago and convincing the DMV there was a problem in the first place was the hardest part. I ultimately got it fixed and the car was returned to the VIN it was born with, but it was an ordeal. It also ended up with the DMV issued vin plates.
r_towle
I did not see that...
I saw the other two in one of the pics, but not the riveted tag.

Yup, I agree then, its a clipped car with a 73 front end welded to the original older rear end.

That would make the re-vin numbering past muster with the registry cops.

RIch
Eric_Shea
You're all wrong. It's a 912. biggrin.gif
seanery
It's a very rare 913 prototype!
tradisrad
the seller also claims that the rims are original Porsche rims. I think they are fake Fuchs as the lug bolts seem to be recessed deeper into the rim than the OEM rims. Also the seats are covered and undoubtedly torn under the covers.
carr914
I don't think it was clipped. The whole car is silver underneath that red bomb paint job (jeez, do you think they could get any more overspray).

I think it was probably a theft recovery, hence the Blue&Silver tag. The mistake was made when IDing it and it was re-titled a 71, even though in reality it is a 73.
There should be an identical Blue&Silver tag in the door jam.

And the dipshit dealer that is selling it doesn't know the difference between OEM and replica. I suppose you could buy with PayPal and nail him later with the PayPal protection plan

And I think those are somebodies custom reupholstered seats icon8.gif

The whole car makes me wanna barf.gif

T.C.
underthetire
My guess, vin#'s were switched. My brother worked for a car inspection company in Texas. The DMV will allow you to clear a salvage title. He saw A LOT of these kinda cars there.

If you buy a car from Texas be warned.
PeeGreen 914
I wish I had you guys around when I bought my first 914. It was tagged as a '72 but was really a '75 and a pile O poop. mad.gif I lost over 6k on that one but it did lead me to the one I have now.
I guess you have to look on the brighter side with that stuff blink.gif

As brave Sir Robin would do...... I would bravely run away. When danger reared its' ugly head I bravely tuck my tail and fled.... laugh.gif
bandjoey
I emailed for vin info and asked why the vin plates were missing. He emailed back the vin # was 471. ar15.gif Today the car is off of ebay. Watch out Craigslist.
Joe Bob
There weer more than a few complaints to eBay....I even filed one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.