Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: type 4 screws not loose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
have a type 4

cant get screws holding tin on to turn. Dont want to bugger them up..

anyone had this problem?

What did you do?
JoeSharp
Sometimes it takes an impactdriver. I will also use a large screwdriver with a square shaft and turn it with a wrench. The secret is keeping the screwdriver seated.
ssstikircr
Try somekind of a penatrating lube. You can also try using heat like from a mini propane torch. You will be surprised how heat can actually help.
Cevan
Use heat. I also use an old screwdriver that has a square shaft that I can put an 8mm wrench on. I also have filed the tip to perfectly match the cheesehead screws. I've removed 4 sets of tins that way.
MDG
+1

just went through the same thing and it was a pain; I shot some PB on and let it soak; applied a little heat and they came off no problems.

As Joe said, make sure you keep the head of your driver seated flat; if it rocks around to much the screws come apart.

good luck

m.
Gint
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 9 2009, 06:29 PM) *
Sometimes it takes an impactdriver. I will also use a large screwdriver with a square shaft and turn it with a wrench. The secret is keeping the screwdriver seated.

agree.gif Impact screw driver works GREAT for removing stubborn tin screws. One tap of the hammer on the driver and the screw is turning out. From there it comes right out with a standard screw driver.
ericread
Let's see now. You have a 914 and you have a screw loose...

Seems redundant to me...

lol3.gif

Dave_Darling
I found that the biggest screwdriver that Sears sells was the only thing that actually fit the engine tin screws. Using the correct-sized screwdriver helped a lot, as did spraying them with penetrating oil.

Access for a screwdriver that large is just about nonexistent for some of the screws, sad to say. I had the engine out when I was removing them.

--DD
r_towle
Impact screw driver...the only way to go.
Use PB Blaster

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.