Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Proofing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
My '14 lived a hard life (before I bought it, of course) so its got alot of floorpan rust holes. I plan on weldinng in new pans, but I want them to last. What kind of rust preventative stuff have you guys used. I'd like personal testimonies as well as brands to steer away from. I know lots guys have used POR 15, has anyone used anything else. beerchug.gif
swood
Why not just a fresh coat of primer and paint? Seems to me like that's optimal. I'm currently pulling up the tar sound proofing to deal with a very small amount of rust, but I'm going to just paint it.
TimT
optimal?.... get to bare metal apply a good zinc primer... top it with a good base and top coat..

and then maintain it
McMark
The best rust preventative is you. If you realize what causes the rust (problem areas) and watch them closely then there won't be any problems. The factory made attempts, but factory seam sealer is always hiding some rust. No protection is 100%. You will never completely get away from rust. Our cars aren't rusting away because of poor prep. Floor pans rust away because of leaking seals, mostly the rear window. I have a loose rear window in my green car. I still haven't fixed it, and that's what causes rust. Not the loose window per se, me not fixing it causes rust. The longs rust out because stuff gets trapped in there and they need to be pulled and cleaned. The hell hole exists because batteries leak. Everyone has an Optima or Orbital in there car by now, right? The rear trunk leaks because it doesn't seal, drill holes in the pan to let it drain. Or cars WILL completely FILL the rear trunk if they aren't allowed to drain. I'd rather have a few 1/8" holes in my trunk than rust. So put POR 15 (or something else) on your car as a safetly measure and then take care of it. If you pay attention to the problem areas and your restored car still rusts out then I'll pay for the next one.

Rant Over. beerchug.gif mueba.gif
watsonrx13
agree.gif Mark, you hit the nail on the head. agree.gif
EdwardBlume
So I guess dipping the car in sea water and parking it a jungle doesn't work? lol3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.