Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust Proofing, Whats the best?
jd74914
post Feb 21 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

My '14 lived a hard life (before I bought it, of course) so its got alot of floorpan rust holes. I plan on weldinng in new pans, but I want them to last. What kind of rust preventative stuff have you guys used. I'd like personal testimonies as well as brands to steer away from. I know lots guys have used POR 15, has anyone used anything else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swood
post Feb 21 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 251
Region Association: None

Why not just a fresh coat of primer and paint? Seems to me like that's optimal. I'm currently pulling up the tar sound proofing to deal with a very small amount of rust, but I'm going to just paint it.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Feb 21 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #3

retired

Member No.: 313

optimal?.... get to bare metal apply a good zinc primer... top it with a good base and top coat..

and then maintain it
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 21 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The best rust preventative is you. If you realize what causes the rust (problem areas) and watch them closely then there won't be any problems. The factory made attempts, but factory seam sealer is always hiding some rust. No protection is 100%. You will never completely get away from rust. Our cars aren't rusting away because of poor prep. Floor pans rust away because of leaking seals, mostly the rear window. I have a loose rear window in my green car. I still haven't fixed it, and that's what causes rust. Not the loose window per se, me not fixing it causes rust. The longs rust out because stuff gets trapped in there and they need to be pulled and cleaned. The hell hole exists because batteries leak. Everyone has an Optima or Orbital in there car by now, right? The rear trunk leaks because it doesn't seal, drill holes in the pan to let it drain. Or cars WILL completely FILL the rear trunk if they aren't allowed to drain. I'd rather have a few 1/8" holes in my trunk than rust. So put POR 15 (or something else) on your car as a safetly measure and then take care of it. If you pay attention to the problem areas and your restored car still rusts out then I'll pay for the next one.

Rant Over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Feb 22 2004, 09:12 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Mark, you hit the nail on the head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 22 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

So I guess dipping the car in sea water and parking it a jungle doesn't work? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:41 AM