Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early doors vs. late doors differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Ok, here's the deal...I am in the process of putting my 1970 back together. In my pile of spare parts I have 2 sets of the front rail (part #15) for the window. One set is from late doors and another from early doors. I know this for a fact because I took both of them apart. But, I neglected to keep them seperated. Anybody know which is early vs. late. They seem to be different; One pair is slightly longer (by about 1/2") and the radius is a little greater. Other than that I can't tell the difference.
Click to view attachment

Also,
Is there any kind of weatherstrip that goes in the early track? I don't see how it would work with the rollers (part #6).
Click to view attachment
r_towle
No weatherstripping in mine.

Take the longer of the two, stick in in the door and see of the bolts line up with the holes in the door...simple easy way to check.

Line up the bolts and the front window glass notch.

Rich
ahdoman
Thanks for the suggestion Rich. It was a good idea but unfortunately the bolt holes line up on both sets.

Just thinking...has anybody ever cut the axles off of the guide rollers and used the weatherstrip? Kind of a "hybrid" design between early and late? I'm affraid to try it because I'm affraid the window will want to pivot on the point where it's tied to the lifter and it will end up binding in the channel.
r_towle
The bolts holes line up...top and bottom?
Does the front notch on the little triangle window line up with the door skin top?

If so, you might need to put the door on the car...geez...I thought the slides had different upper mounting bolts...mine do.

You need the rollers if you are using the cable guide from the early door.

You can retro fit the later style scizzor setup for the window into the early door...but it requires some metal fabrication work on the door.
The benefit...you get weather stripping.

Rich
ahdoman
Too late to do any metal fabrication...besides I prefer the weight loss! It's amazing how much lighter the early doors are.
SLITS
The difference is in the way the channel is formed, but I don't remember which way. Narrow gap for window = early, wide gap for window w/felt = late (I think)
PRS914-6
You can rob the equipment and windows out of the new style and use them in the old style doors. It takes a little work but I did mine after paint with no ill effects. It takes a little bending, cutting and welding but it's a nice modification to end the cheesiness and rattles of the early style and you save a BUNCH of weight at the expense of some personal safety.

Wide channel=late
Narrow=early

There are several threads on how to do the mod but here are a few pics of what is involved:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Gint
agree.gif with the ole fart.

Got a pair of /6 doors with the window mechanisms still intact in the shed. I can take pics of the rails if it will help. I'll be in and out the rest of the day. PM or email me if you need it quick.
McMark
Early has a narrow opening and no weatherstrip, late has a large opening to take the rubber/felt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.