Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone add an ac compressor to a v8 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I'm toying with how to add an AC compressor to my SBC 914. Specifically I'm looking for ways to mount the compressor and where. I've seen some pics of what appears to be a sanden universal compressor mounted down low on the passenger side by the engine bar. Renegade wants almost $700 dollars for the brackets that holds the alternator and ac compressor, which is ridiculous (replaces the smaller bracket seen below that holds the alternator).

Anyway, I would like to fabricate my own and would love to see any other examples of a mounted compressor in a V8 914 to give me vision how it might work. Seriously, it can't be that hard.

Here's some pics to get you an idea what I'm working with. The top view of the engine compartment is actually my 914...the others are identical in setup but not my engine.
Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Sleepin
Doing some recent reading I found this for you:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...impson&st=0
LvSteveH
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Feb 15 2009, 09:15 AM) *

Renegade wants almost $700 dollars for the brackets that holds the alternator and ac compressor, which is ridiculous (replaces the smaller bracket seen below that holds the alternator).

As you can see from Sleepin's pics, it's not just a bracket replacement, it converts the engine to a serpentine configuration, which requires changing the harmonic balancer and waterpump pulley. Granted it's not cheap, but it's far from ridiculous.

It's tricky to get three accessories driven in the amount of space available, and the serpentine upgrade has provisions for four. There's also a spot for an optional emissions pump if needed, just below the a/c in the pics.

I suppose you could change the waterpump to electric and run the a/c compressor there, but in the end you'd be hard pressed to save money.
marks914
I was thinking of going with the desert hybrids setup on mine. I already have the rest of their stuff. You can use it on a renegade setup too, just flip the brackets around for the other side

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image
computers4kids
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 15 2009, 10:29 AM) *

Doing some recent reading I found this for you:

Thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...impson&st=0

Thank you for the pics...the Renegade setup. Looks like quite a change, other than just a bracket.
computers4kids
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Feb 15 2009, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Feb 15 2009, 09:15 AM) *

Renegade wants almost $700 dollars for the brackets that holds the alternator and ac compressor, which is ridiculous (replaces the smaller bracket seen below that holds the alternator).

As you can see from Sleepin's pics, it's not just a bracket replacement, it converts the engine to a serpentine configuration, which requires changing the harmonic balancer and waterpump pulley. Granted it's not cheap, but it's far from ridiculous.

Probably makes more economical sense if you don't already have the original Renegade setup. Very nice setup...makes a little more sense the price tag.

I thought about going with a Meziere electric water pump and using the bracket for the mechanical pump but your right...it just doesn't make sense dollar wise.
computers4kids
QUOTE(marks914 @ Feb 15 2009, 11:51 AM) *

I was thinking of going with the desert hybrids setup on mine. I already have the rest of their stuff. You can use it on a renegade setup too, just flip the brackets around for the other side

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'll have to check into this...promising. So the AC is driven off the balancer and the alternator is driven off the AC all with standard v belts. I have a mint dpd evaporator that is literally new which I've already installed. I just need to figure out the compressor mounting and the rest will be easy.
IPB Image

Thanks for the tip...time to check out their system.
Bruce Hinds
I don't have a picture handy, but marks914 is similar to mine. Renegade with water pump on passenger side is the same, but my alternator is on top of the compressor for a few reasons.
Shorter run on compresser hoses. Alternator is right next to electrical box and the alternator is run of the aft pully slot on the compressor to move the alternator farther aft for firewall clearence. I also run the full tube early corvette headers and there's room for everything.
Not sure if I have a picture, the compressors out of the car right now.....
B
computers4kids
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 15 2009, 09:59 PM) *

I don't have a picture handy, but marks914 is similar to mine. Renegade with water pump on passenger side is the same, but my alternator is on top of the compressor for a few reasons.
Shorter run on compresser hoses. Alternator is right next to electrical box and the alternator is run of the aft pully slot on the compressor to move the alternator farther aft for firewall clearence. I also run the full tube early corvette headers and there's room for everything.
Not sure if I have a picture, the compressors out of the car right now.....
B

Very cool laugh.gif & encouraging news. If there is anyway a picture surfaces in your world I would love to take a gander. Your description really helps, but I'm very visual. If I see something I usually can fabricate it or make it work.

Do you remember what kind of compressor you used and where you sourced the brackets (desert hybrids)? I emailed them yesterday...I couldn't find any info on their site other than pictures like what marks914 provided.

Since my car is already wired (alt passenger) and water hoses plumbed to the pump on the driver's side, I would like to make the compressor work on the passenger's side.

Another Thought: If I were to add a compressor above the water pump on the stock Renegade setup (driver's side) is that not a good idea because both of these accessories (when running) are such large draws on the system. Is it better to have more balance (alt & compressor.....waterpump driven off diff. belts)?

Thanks again for the ideas...the wheels starting to turn idea.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.