Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need more help... air cleaner this time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Ok,

new problem. I've got a 74-2.0/4 with injection.
I bought it from a kid who did not know what he was doing when he pulled it (from ginters old car)... kid, took the throttle body off and all kinds of weird things just to drop the motor. I of course bought it in this state with misc. boxes full of throttle body, AAR, etc.

Problem: So I'm trying to put the air cleaner box back on and re-attatch the vacuum lines. I just noticed that there needs to be some type of mounting bracket under the air cleaner (attatched to the manifolds?) that the air cleaner obviously should clip to.

I don't have this silly bracket included in the misc parts. Does anyone happen to have this bracket left over from a carb conversion.... Also, I don't even know what it should look like.... Does anyone have a picture of this bracket.

I might be able to fab up something so that I can be done with this tomorrow, but a picture would really really help..

(ginter do you know the kids contact info... I lost it.. I'll PM you.)

thanks again guys..
don't know what I'd do without you all.
gotta love this board...

p.s. now I remember why I never had FI cars for the last 15years. ha...

brant
RocknRollFrenzy
i've still got one on my car, and it just happens that i've got my air box off at the moment. i'll try and get a picture up for you after breakfast tomorrow if someone else hasn't done it by then.
brant
boy that would be great... if you don't mind...
then I'll take a shot at fabricating one.
tia
brant
Dave_Darling
The bracket consists of two bent pieces of sheetmetal. One is relatively short and has an upward vee in the middle, kind of like: -^- . There is a hole in the middle of the vee. A ~2" long bolt goes through that hole, and then a metal spacer collar goes over the bolt. The upper part has a recess with a hole in it for the nut that goes on that bolt. It is pretty much flat, except for a bit of a bead around the edges for stiffening. It has little rubber "feet" facing upward so that the airbox does not chafe.

The top piece of metal is about 2" wide and 10" long--long enough for the clips on the bottom of the air cleaner to grab it. The lower one is only about 4" long, and is narrow enough that it can slip between the intake pipes sideways. I think the bolt is actually a carriage bolt with a square section under the head (like the alternator pivot bolt is) and the hole in the lower piece is square. This keeps the bolt from turning when you tighten the nut.

You slit some old "manifold boots" (AKA the large vacuum hoses) and slide them on the intake runner pipes to pad the bracket. Then you slide the lower piece, with the bolt in it, in between the runners. Slide the upper part onto the bolt, tighten. Then you can clip the air cleaner onto the top part.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Four pics coming up.
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
#4. Sorry for the big pics. I resized them the same as always, but it didn't seem to work this time
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry, ya can't have mine, but I would try to find an original if I were you

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
415PB
Brant, I think I have an extra one, let me know if you found one.

Rod
brant
wow...

I've got to thank everyone..
The pictures helped a ton.
I made one out of metal.. sort of copying from the original and the pictures really helped.

thanks for the time... the offers... the description, and help everyone..
have a good day
brant
mike_the_man
Rod,

I need one of these brackets also. Still got one that you want to sell?
415PB
Mike, I found it. Your more than welcome to it if you need it.

Rod
mike_the_man
Rod,

You have a PM!
415PB
Mike, you have a PM back
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.