Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate people that make a deal then screw you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I see an add for a 73 2.0 car. Basicaly a parts car as it is missing the doors. It's all primered & of course no rust. Supposedly runs but been parked a while. I've wanted to get another 73 2.0 to restore as it was my first 914. Anyway the guy wants a $1000 for it. He was going to try to get me some pics tommorow. After thinking about it I say I'll just come tommorow with $1000 in cash. Felt pretty comfortable after talking to him. He does say the fuchs are 5-lug. Of course I had to explain what fuchs are to him. Anyway I think to myself I guess they did a 5-lug swap on it. He tels me okay it's yours for the $1000. See you in the morning.

I get my trailer all loaded & decide to head a little south tonight. I catch a move with my brother & am going to crash at his place (that was the plan anyway). Buthead calls me back a little pissed. He says how much are the wheels worth. I know I can get more if I part it out. He goes on to tell me he just checked ebay & the fuchs are worth $2000 av-943.gif . He then goes on to list what each part is worth (so he thinks). Engine $700 (okay so that is worth that) Transmission $700 av-943.gif Tailights $150 av-943.gif

No center console, Dash is cracked, seats are toast, no windshield. No rust which is definately a plus. I tell him the $1000 is a fair price especially since I am driving 4+ hours to come get it. Somehow he seems to think I am trying to screw him. Especially on the wheels. I tell him there is no way they are worth $2000. I am estimating they are 15x6 fuchs. I say he'd be lucky to get $600 for them. That would be in very good shape. Anyway I am little pissed at the prick. Just weird as his wife was the one to call me back after my movie. She says I sent him to bed because he had been drinking. Weirdest flippin night I've had in quite a while. Not even sure the deal is dead. Pretty positive I don't want to deal with the prick though. Like I need another 914 anyway screwy.gif Rant over now
sixnotfour
The guy should have done some reseach before he decided to list it. screwy.gif
On the other hand if they are 5lug deep sixes with hearts they could be worth quite a bit.
I hope he gets an earfull from his wife in the morning : drunk.gif ar15.gif av-943.gif

Good Luck popcorn[1].gif
rhodyguy
the guy that offered him more money and sealed the deal with the "wheels are worth x and you're getting screwed" can have it. you know that's the play. sooner on the phone than after the drive to where ever. ps it's not a "runner". it's a "usta runner".smile.gif
computers4kids
popcorn[1].gif Jamie, you need another teener like a hole in the head driving.gif Although, it does sound like a nice solid base to start with. I bet the car is in California...those guys are wierdos anyway. lol-2.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2009, 07:00 AM) *

the guy that offered him more money and sealed the deal with the "wheels are worth x and you're getting screwed" can have it. you know that's the play. sooner on the phone than after the drive to where ever. ps it's not a "runner". it's a "usta runner".smile.gif

I think Kevin has hit it on the head.
rick 918-S
I'd go anyway. Of Course I like a good toe to toe slap.gif I'd guess once you start pealing off the green stamps he's going to help you load it. screwy.gif drunk.gif
Gint
agree.gif The argument could e a lotta fun.

However...

I'd turn around and go home.

Dude, you need a 12 step program anyway... smile.gif

zonedoubt
Shoulda left a deposit and got a receipt.
LarryR
15 x 6 have gone completely crazy. even the non deep 6's seem to be bringing
800 - 1000 these days and maybe 1500 ish for nicely restored wheels.

The deep 6 wheels are more like 2k blink.gif

I would tell him fine keep the wheels and give em 1k ...

Most cars are worth more in parts than the whole ... I figure this b/c when you try
to restore 1 you spend 2x what the car is worth on parts lol-2.gif

It does suck that the guy backed up on a made deal though.
sixnotfour
Happened on Pelican over some 46 ida carbs,
guys says I am selling these cheap (admits it)
then a bunch of guys tell him thats too cheap ,So he raises the price another 500 and offers him to the person who talked to him on the phone and commited to buy.

Kevin I dont think anybody "offered more" I think jamie says he checked ebay;
He goes on to tell me he just checked ebay & the fuchs are worth $2000

Hell they were probably Reproductions
PeeGreen 914
No way, Jamie should go down there and hold the guy to his word. Jamie wasn't trying to screw him. Jamie simply told him a price he thought was fair and the guy agreed to it. So if the guy is a man of his word he will follow through on the deal. Go get em Jamie beerchug.gif
johnnie5
How about when you call on an item, it is wide open available, so you drive x amount of time/miles (and the seller is well aware you are on your way) to find out when you get there that "oh this guy just showed up with cash and bought it, sorry" ar15.gif ar15.gif
r_towle
You said to much.
You should just ask for pictures and wait him out.
Never tell them what they have...or you get the exact response you got...they go on ebay are raise the price.

I make it point to never educate the seller. Its their responsability to do that, not mine.

Rich
JRust
I will ralk to him sometime today. I slept like shit because I am still fuming about it. When I talk to him I plan to just say you can keep the wheels. Just knock off another $200 & I'll be fine with that. Either way I think I am going to just say screw it. I have a line on a nice 74 2.0 I am going to check out tommorow anyway. Basically the same price, Painted & not missing anything. It doesn't run but it's a fuel issue the guy never figured out.

Just pissed as when I talked to him originally all was cool. Seemed like a stand up guy & going by what he told me about the car ti is sound. Most parts cars I buy are less than a grand. This has potential especially if there is no rust. I bet I'd get there & find the hell hole has issues he hasn't seen. Probably better off just walking away headbang.gif Lousy fuccing people who's word don't mean shit dry.gif

At least I'm not bitter biggrin.gif
ericread
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 21 2009, 10:47 AM) *

You said to much.
Never tell them what they have...or you get the exact response you got...they go on ebay are raise the price.

I make it point to never educate the seller. Its their responsability to do that, not mine.

Rich

agree.gif

Don't waste your time or effort. I make it a point to never do business with a PIA. It will only get worse, and you'll never feel good about the deal. The best deal can go to $hit with a PIA seller.

Walk away and enjoy your day.

gothspeed
I am having a hard time locating a good 2.0 project in the $2000 range. I am in southern california and have been looking everywhere. Two I was interested advertised a 2.0 motor and neither were not !!! I don't get that as people either don't know what they have or are being dishonest.

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 21 2009, 01:30 AM) *

Okay so I see an add for a 73 2.0 car. Basicaly a parts car as it is missing the doors. It's all primered & of course no rust. Supposedly runs but been parked a while. I've wanted to get another 73 2.0 to restore as it was my first 914. Anyway the guy wants a $1000 for it. He was going to try to get me some pics tommorow. After thinking about it I say I'll just come tommorow with $1000 in cash. Felt pretty comfortable after talking to him. He does say the fuchs are 5-lug. Of course I had to explain what fuchs are to him. Anyway I think to myself I guess they did a 5-lug swap on it. He tels me okay it's yours for the $1000. See you in the morning.

I get my trailer all loaded & decide to head a little south tonight. I catch a move with my brother & am going to crash at his place (that was the plan anyway). Buthead calls me back a little pissed. He says how much are the wheels worth. I know I can get more if I part it out. He goes on to tell me he just checked ebay & the fuchs are worth $2000 av-943.gif . He then goes on to list what each part is worth (so he thinks). Engine $700 (okay so that is worth that) Transmission $700 av-943.gif Tailights $150 av-943.gif

No center console, Dash is cracked, seats are toast, no windshield. No rust which is definately a plus. I tell him the $1000 is a fair price especially since I am driving 4+ hours to come get it. Somehow he seems to think I am trying to screw him. Especially on the wheels. I tell him there is no way they are worth $2000. I am estimating they are 15x6 fuchs. I say he'd be lucky to get $600 for them. That would be in very good shape. Anyway I am little pissed at the prick. Just weird as his wife was the one to call me back after my movie. She says I sent him to bed because he had been drinking. Weirdest flippin night I've had in quite a while. Not even sure the deal is dead. Pretty positive I don't want to deal with the prick though. Like I need another 914 anyway screwy.gif Rant over now

RiqueMar
Hey gothspeed, I might have a 2.0 L motor for you if you are interested, PM me if you like.

Never been used. Rebuilt.
craigvwdude
Was that the car that was in the Redding area?
bembry
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 21 2009, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 21 2009, 10:47 AM) *

You said to much.

Rich

agree.gif

Don't waste your time or effort. I make it a point to never do business with a PIA. It will only get worse, and you'll never feel good about the deal. The best deal can go to $hit with a PIA seller.

Walk away and enjoy your day.

Agree 100%. Screw that guy--he's an Ass and trouble. Plenty of other 914s in CA for you.
JRust
QUOTE(craigvwdude @ Feb 21 2009, 02:36 PM) *

Was that the car that was in the Redding area?

Yes that is the car. I luckily got ahold of him first. He was cool about me being first & having first shot. Of course that doesn't mean a whole heck of alot anymore. He had like 3 other guys interested. Oh well. I took my old man out golfing today & cussed like a sailor. I feel a little better now rolleyes.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 21 2009, 01:30 AM) *

I've wanted to get another 73 2.0 to restore as it was my first 914.

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 21 2009, 10:51 AM) *

I have a line on a nice 74 2.0 I am going to check out tommorow anyway.

Hey Buddy... confused24.gif You noticed I haven't drug any 914s home in a long time...my therapy is working...I would ask your therapist for a refund. slap.gif
JRust
I freely admit I have 914 issues. I am not an addict bs.gif ! I can stop anytime I want wacko.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 21 2009, 04:51 PM) *

I freely admit I have 914 issues. I am not an addict bs.gif ! I can stop anytime I want wacko.gif

And then everyone heard a sneeze come from the back of the room with a somewhat muffled "bullshit" sound to it... poke.gif
RiqueMar
So many lies! lol-2.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 21 2009, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 21 2009, 04:51 PM) *

And then everyone heard a sneeze come from the back of the room with a somewhat muffled "bullshit" sound to it... poke.gif

lol-2.gif

I enjoy Jamie's addiction. I get to show my wife my addiction isn't so bad huh.gif av-943.gif
TC 914-8
My wife thinks WE are ALL freaks and Obsessed on 914 anything. I always make her look at the clock when it's 9:14, she falls for it every time. av-943.gif

Jamie, See my thread on the one I saw for $950 in between Los Banos and San Jose Hwy 152 or something like that. Send Mark to get an eye on it for you, although it is a Ca car. poke.gif

Tony
boxstr
Jamie, Why don't you take your money, that is burning a hole in your pocket, and use it to get a paint job on the LE, rather than take out a loan??
CCLIN confused24.gif
JRust
Actually Craig the reason to buy another 914 is to make money to pay for the LE paint.I'm always looking at options for my car stuff. The loan was one but I am trying to stay away from it if I can. I'd hate to say I am camp914 but poorer but that is probably a little closer to the truth. Of course you are a better businessman than me. Usually you get the deal before I even know it's there poke.gif
boxstr
Personally I think you would be better off to stay away from the buy a 914 to pay for another 914.
You just get caught up in the fix up of one and the payback is nopt as great as you think it will be becuase of the unforseen. Like an engine overhaul or a long that is rotted out more than you originally thought.
Save your money and, sell parts. Concentrate on the task at hand.
I know easy to say. I am guilty of crusin the classifieds, Ebay, CL, etc.
But I always stop and ask my self is this and need or a want.
Just my $.02 worth.
CCLINCAMPCOUNSELOR

dlo914
If you're still looking for a complete car, there's one out in Lake Elsinore. It's a 73' with a 1.7 and sideshifter transmission, all panels are there + spare doors, hoods, trunks, misc parts. And the guy is only asking $500 for the car. Only downside is that it has a salvaged title, b.c there's a slight dent on the DS rear panel. And there is minimal rust located at the PS firewall and hell hole is intact. If you want his contact #, lemme know.
JRust
I just got a reply to my email from the guy. We still may be on. He apologized for his phone call. He is having some tough times & needs the money. I offered to help him with the sale of the wheels. Sounds like he may take me up on it. I am not holding my breath on the deal. Still I feel alot better about things either way. smile.gif
Joe Bob
People with their backs to the wall get pissy. It's scary out there.
craigvwdude
Hope the deal works out for you.
I was going to check it out myself but he never emailed me back. Luckily i found another one. A 73.
I would have loved to see that car though.

Craig
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.