Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
What have people done to better insure their axles dont fail in a Mid-High HP scenarios? idea.gif

Is there a better solution to the 700$ axle kits out there? or is there a swap out there for 914 axles (e.g. - 911 Axles)

I want ideas before blowing Large amounts of $$$...
PeeGreen 914
There has been many o threads about this as of late. You have many options in what you can do. You can do the whole 944/ 914 axle. You can do the 911 CVs on sway away axles. You can do a few others as well. It all cost money though. Just look at all the threads and see what you find for as little $ as you can Search the 911 boards and see what parts they all have and who knows how little you may get away with spending.
Wes V
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 25 2009, 10:23 AM) *

There has been many o threads about this as of late. You have many options in what you can do. You can do the whole 944/ 914 axle. You can do the 911 CVs on sway away axles. You can do a few others as well. It all cost money though. Just look at all the threads and see what you find for as little $ as you can Search the 911 boards and see what parts they all have and who knows how little you may get away with spending.

Sway Away also makes axles in various lengths that could be used with the 944 (type 4) CV's, which are 33 spline count axles (the 911's are 29 spline, stronger, and sway away has a larger selection).

One word of caution should you buy an axle assembly -- GNK Lobro is the major supplier of quality CV's and axle assemblies. They seem to want to use 25 spline axles as a standard. It doesn't matter if you use the axle assembly complete (CV to CV), but if you want to change things around, you may be limited to a 25 spline count axle.

Wes
jimkelly
are you running narrow non-sticky rubber - if so - you may not get enough traction to matter.

when you figure this out - pls drop me an email.

most of the threads as of late have been about going 5 lug.

maybe the 944 cvs with sway away custom axle is the solution - need to ask wes to clarify?

jim
Wes V
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 25 2009, 01:52 PM) *

maybe the 944 cvs with sway away custom axle is the solution - need to ask wes to clarify?

SirAndy has done several write-ups on the 944 CV set-up. You should find one right near the top of the archive section (lupawalli??).

One thing that he does is cut down the shoulder on a 914 axle to account for the 944 CV's being wider than the 914 CV's. It's this shoulder that rests against the CV inner race.

It's not a big thing machine wise, but if you don't have a friend with a lath, sway away may have an "in stock" axle that would work.

Wes
jimkelly
i semi stuuu pid

i just emailed sir andy

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641

the way i read this - it is not clear to me that the 944 cvs will mate up to the stock 914 4 lug transaxle output stub or the stock 914 stub axle ??

jim
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 25 2009, 02:21 PM) *

it is not clear to me that the 944 cvs will mate up to the stock 914 4 lug transaxle output stub or the stock 914 stub axle ??

The title of that thread is:
"HOW TO: Convert to real 5-lug in the rear using 944 CVs"

That's why you don't see any references to 4-lug hubs in there ...
shades.gif Andy
jimkelly
yeah - that is what i thought - dang.
wallys914
Well Shnickes! To answer you question about traction I am running 255's under steel flares out back, I think a reasonable amount of tire for traction with a low HP Veight Convercione...w/NOS for the High HP (IMO). Just trying to see what options I have, I will check out the thread above.

Thanks for now guys.
LarryR
I have already bought a second hand PMS kit from Eric. However, It seems to me that the best way to go is 911 hub ->911 CV with Sway away shafts ... that way everything is just right and you dont have to mess around.

However, if you are going for the late carrera axles with the 901 transaxle it is unclear to me that you would actually have enough room for the conversion flange to fit. If you are going with the 915 then no issues.

When I ultimately use a 915 I will probably just get the right shafts from sway away.
Wes V
I'm throwing this out as just "food for thought"!!

If an individual felt the need to keep their car 4-lug, couldn't you follow Eric Shea's 911 CV conversion and then have the 5-lug hubs drilled for 4-lug? (this may require welding up some of the existing lug bolt holes)

Then keep the original brake rotor and brake caliper??

It all sounds a bit extreme, but due to the fact you can't buy new 914 CV's it may be worth thinking about.

Wes
jimkelly
you can not buy new 914 cvs - but eric shea sells modded type 1 cvs for use in 914s

but i understand your idea - hum : ) i guess the question is what is the cost to source all those parts? in order to have the added strength.

jim

--

QUOTE(Wes V @ Feb 26 2009, 09:29 AM) *

I'm throwing this out as just "food for thought"!!

If an individual felt the need to keep their car 4-lug, couldn't you follow Eric Shea's 911 CV conversion and then have the 5-lug hubs drilled for 4-lug? (this may require welding up some of the existing lug bolt holes)

Then keep the original brake rotor and brake caliper??

It all sounds a bit extreme, but due to the fact you can't buy new 914 CV's it may be worth thinking about.

Wes

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.