Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Determining total oil capacity with /6 aftermarket tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
number6
OK, as it turns out, I do have a valid oil tank question! Sorry, everyone, for the multiple post changes!

What would be the best way to determine total oil capacity in my car? It is a /6 conversion with a 3.2, aftermarket oil tank (a Velios, I believe), and NO front-mounted oil cooler. I do have a Patrick Motorsport breather tank.

I ask because I don't think the dipstick I have is accurate. My tank's bundled dipstick was broken, so the seller ordered me a replacement from Auto Atlanta (which appears to be a replacement for the factory tank).

My thinking is to drain my oil and add back 9 quarts to see where/if it registers on the dipstick that I have.

From reading through the archives, I came across this discussion:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...5&hl=velios

There's mention of 11 quarts max...but also 13, 14, and 15 quarts...

And just to make doubly-sure: A dry sump system can't be damaged with overfills, no? Excess oil would simply drain out (through my breather tank drain) and/or burn off?

Thank you for any advice!

-duc
736conver
A quick search through the search engine. Brings this up, doesnt answer your questions exactly but should help. There are many others threads with more info.

Search result
number6
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 27 2009, 12:38 AM) *

A quick search through the search engine. Brings this up, doesnt answer your questions exactly but should help. There are many others threads with more info.

Search result

Thanks, Brian. There's an actual discussion of the Velios tank here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...5&hl=velios

Sorry, again, everyone for rushing to post w/o first using the search function.

I'll take that collective slap.gif now!
number6
Updated question. Same vein as original but factoring in what I've found through a quick search.
carr914
QUOTE(number6 @ Feb 27 2009, 03:24 AM) *

OK, as it turns out, I do have a valid oil tank question!

Excess oil would simply drain out (through my breather tank drain) and/or burn off?

-duc

And out of every nook & cranny it can force it's way out of. I had a Porsche mechanic over-fill my stock tank and the whole engine compartment was an oily mess by the time I got home.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Just think of it as a protective coating TC!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.