Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Judging Interest for LOW flexible front spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
VaccaRabite
^^^^^^
There are occasional moments when I am not on the board. Hard to believe, but it does happen.

Zach
arvcube
I'm just messing with ya...I want one too. Maybe it'll be the trigger for me to start working on my bumper backdate..
pete-stevers
I would be intersted in one of these as well!
VaccaRabite
I'm just being terse as I am posting from class.
I really should be paying attention....
SGB
I'm going to have to get one of these too, Mark.

I've been too busy to see much 914world too. And will also be away some more...
Mikey914
Update on these - The first prototype will be out early this next week.
xperu
I actually have one that came off of a 76 parts car, but it's cracked (could be beefed up). I did, however mount it on my 74 to see what it looked like and it looked very retro. Thanks for the effort and looking foreword to having one on my car. Mike pray.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(Demick @ Mar 6 2009, 12:19 PM) *

I had the flexdam on my car for years. I got it because I also thought it was the best looking spoiler.

However, if you run it with the rubber, IT WILL HINDER THE ENGINE COOLING in a significant way. The lower rubber section will raise your oil temperatures by 25 degrees. I assume it also affects the head temps. Hard to believe, but it's true and I experienced it first-hand.

Nothing wrong with just the fiberglass portion though.

Of course, this was for a type4 motor. May not have the same effect on a six, and obviously isn't a concern on a watercooled conversion.

Demick

i wonder if this is why the LE dam has the notch cut in it?

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 17 2009, 04:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Demick @ Mar 6 2009, 12:19 PM) *

I had the flexdam on my car for years. I got it because I also thought it was the best looking spoiler.

However, if you run it with the rubber, IT WILL HINDER THE ENGINE COOLING in a significant way. The lower rubber section will raise your oil temperatures by 25 degrees. I assume it also affects the head temps. Hard to believe, but it's true and I experienced it first-hand.

Nothing wrong with just the fiberglass portion though.

Of course, this was for a type4 motor. May not have the same effect on a six, and obviously isn't a concern on a watercooled conversion.

Demick

i wonder if this is why the LE dam has the notch cut in it?

Click to view attachment

It's exactly why the LE has the notch. Also look at the 916 front. there's a break at the bottom that is used to allow the air to flow into the low pressure area created by the shape of that design. The idea here is to accomplish this by notching the rubber to do the same thing. Closer to the with of the 916 gap. The great thing is that the rubber can be modified to achieve the level of airflow you desire. If you cut too much, not a problem, just replace the rubber. I would be very interested in having one of the A/X guys do some testing for me. Start out with the full skirt, cut a 2" gap. cut a 6" gap, cut a 12" gap, as watch how the temps change. My thought is that the 12" gap is what will be required as that's closer to the distance the on the 916. I thing the sweet spot may be just slightly less.
hot_shoe914
I have been looking for one of these as well. I most likely will be in for 2 of them. I want one on all of my cars but can't change my Bee.
westgl
I need two of them,

are they ready yet? lol

Thanks

Gary
jfort
I can barely get in and out of my garage without scraping. I hope you come up with one with a rubber bottom.
geniusanthony
icon_bump.gif
Derek Seymour
I need one for my Dad's car, if I like the look I will grab one for myself as well.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!! beerchug.gif
J P Stein
It'll keep air from gettin' under my car, eh?
Mikey914
You are correct it does keep air from getting under the car. The lower pressure should also apply some downforce, like a wing only upside down. The drawback is the greater the low pressure, the more warm air that gets trapped, increasing running temps. So there will be some trial and error as to the temps your running. As there are different size motors and some cooling systems (read oil coolers) are in better shape there is no set opening size that can be cut into the rubber. It's a matter of checking your temps as you run and openig up as you need to.

The fiberglass portion will be out on Monday, the rubber is about 4 weeks out still. I'll be posting on Monday.
Mikey914
Well, as you may have gathered Monday didn't go quite as planned. The mold that was made from an original part picked up all the pinholes from the original. Here's a few pictures. Right now the mold is being redone. It will look the same as the one in the pictures, but without the pinholes.
TC 914-8
I'm In for one, the low pressure behind the dam will Increase the air flow and cooling effect thru my radiator. plus the low pressure will increase handling as you mentioned before. What color will they come? black looks good for me. also what about brake ducts?

Great job !!!!

PM me with the info when you need the dough.

Thanks, Tony
Mikey914
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ May 6 2009, 10:23 PM) *

I'm In for one, the low pressure behind the dam will Increase the air flow and cooling effect thru my radiator. plus the low pressure will increase handling as you mentioned before. What color will they come? black looks good for me. also what about brake ducts?

Great job !!!!

PM me with the info when you need the dough.

Thanks, Tony

Black is standard, they can be painted. The brake cooling will be accomplised via cut-outs that can added in. Should have a set next week. I will nit sell any until I'm happy with them. But this should ready next week.
ellisor3
The finish on those has more of a gloss than the original sample, it looks great. This will not look like an aftermarket spapped-on front dam, it will match the rocker panels, kick ass. Great Job again. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Bump?

Mike, any word or pics of the prototype?

Zach
siverson
Neat! How about a version for flared cars? smile.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 3 2009, 11:47 AM) *

Bump?

Mike, any word or pics of the prototype?

Zach

I'm supposed to meet with James tomorrow to get my first few in hand. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mark
VaccaRabite
Woohoo!

Zach
EdwardBlume
Awesome! Thanks. I'll take one too!

I need to cut out an oil cooler and also fit it with dzus fasters for a race car. A rough prototype would work too!

Thanks, Rob
jim_hoyland
These were really big sellers back in the '80s; had one and when I went to replace, they were NLA[ I'm in for one
Mikey914
An update. I spoke with James today. He has had family in town and has been unable to get all of the re-tooling on the mold done to date. He has been very busy with his other product lines and has not been able to get these done. He has promised me that in 3 weeks these will be available. So, that's where te project stands right now. James is a good guy, and will do a first rate job, sometimes it just take longer to get things done when life happens. I appreciate you patience, I will start taking the orders once I have a few in hand.

Thanks,

Mark
nolift914
I'am in for one
VaccaRabite
Mike is spot on about James.

He can be slow to get stuff made, but once it is, the quality is top rate. If he does not think that the current prototype is up to snuff, I'll be happy to wait for the excellent product that he will provide.

Zach
kfish914
I'm in for one.

Based on the looks of the prototype it will be a great looking spoiler at a good price.
Porcharu
I'm in for one to. Great job.
jfort
Any word on the status? I hope to get it mounted this summer if possible.
Mikey914
The project is not dead, I spoke with James last week, and we are meeting on friday to work out the final details. It apears that this will be coming together in the next few weeks. The fiberglass is almost done. I should have the parts is the next few weeks. Now I have to get the rubber pushed out. I put the extrusion run on hold while the fiberglass stuff was in limbo. Last thing I needed was $2500 worth of rubber that I couldn't use.
So, I'll keep everyone posted. Should have news on Friday evening.

Thanks all.
Mikey914
Another thing I'll be discussing is providing pre-modifed variants. The brake ducts, and cooler cut out. I'm going to see if we could have those done as kind of a group buy. If James could do a min of 10 pcs, or whatever number he feels is workable, I'ld like to offer an option or two. But the demand would drive the availability.
More on Friday.
VaccaRabite
As always, I wait patiently.

Zach
Mikey914
Well I met with James this weeekend and got the first 2 of these to check fit I have 3 more comming. After a little discussion we have finalized some details and will be "evolving" the design slightly.

I have 3 more that James is going to produce like this one, we plan to add in the air cooling vents on the following units. James is currently working on making a carbon fiber brake cooling vent that will connect via hose to provide additional brake cooling.

The rubber will available in about 4-6 weeks. Hopefully about the time these are available.
Mikey914
These pictures show the fiberglass portion mounted, I will be able to fit a rubber skirt in the next few weeks with the first article.
Mikey914
One more. The rubber will put these within 2" of the ground.
RoadGlue
*drools* Looks awesome! Can't wait for the finished product. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
rktmn247
Looks great! Will there be flared versions?
TC 914-8
Hi Mark,
looks good. Keep me on the list.

Tony
Mikey914
"Looks great! Will there be flared versions?"

These will be available like the original except we have elected to produce these with the brake ducting holes.

There is a picture of these with flares earlier in the thread, we have elected to keep these like the original in that aspect. They could be modiifed by the end user. There is some variation on flares and without the car, there's a posibility it wouldn't line up perfectly.

We feel that the best all around product at the best price to hit the masses is the best way to go. Instead of producing the non brake duct and brake duct model the benifit of a little air flow into the area of negitive pressure wouldn't hurt, and you would have the option of adding the actual brake cooling at a later point.
ottox914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 28 2009, 08:33 PM) *

One more. The rubber will put these within 2" of the ground.

Rubber 2" off the ground? Is that car lowered at all from stock? This could be really cool on my auto-x turbo 914... run the glass on the road, and with the car lowered, add the rubber at the events and be, well, closer than 2" off the road... How easily/quickly can the rubber section be installed/removed. What is involved to detach/install it.
Mikey914
As far as removal and installation, I had not actually planned on settingit up that way, but it could be set up with pins and cotter keys so it could be removed and installed quickly. I could offer that option for a few dollars more, just a mater of including the hardware.
VaccaRabite
That looks fantastic!
I can't wait.

Zach
jhadler
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 29 2009, 12:03 AM) *

As far as removal and installation, I had not actually planned on settingit up that way, but it could be set up with pins and cotter keys so it could be removed and installed quickly. I could offer that option for a few dollars more, just a mater of including the hardware.

Ooooh, now you're talking!!! More! I want to know more!!!

How about Dzus fasteners instead of pins?

-Josh2
Mikey914
Zus fasteners are a posibility, I will need to work out the depth and reinforce the actual airdam in those spots, so I'll play areond and see what I can to that's the best bang for the buck.
Van914
Ii can't wait. Make mine with the Zus fasteners. How about a cutout for a front mounted oilcooler? Like the 914GT valance?
Thanks
Van
jhadler
QUOTE(Van914 @ Jul 29 2009, 04:38 PM) *

Ii can't wait. Make mine with the Zus fasteners. How about a cutout for a front mounted oilcooler? Like the 914GT valance?
Thanks
Van

That's exactly what I'm looking for too...

-Josh2
lotus_65
are the original ones worth much? i can get the fiberglass part with fasteners for maybe $25-30., but it doesn't include the bottom rubber part (i could get something from the garage door place, right?). should i get it??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.