Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Judging Interest for LOW flexible front spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
VaccaRabite
Last week I approached Mikey914 about making a flexible front spoiler similar to the NLA Flexdam. He went to Camp see what I was on about, and noted that it was fiberglass and rubber and asked Morph about making the glass part.

Verdict: it can be done. But, is there interest?
This is what we are talking about:
IPB Image

So. Are we interested in such an item? Cost would likely be in the $110 to $120 range, depending.

You would get all the benefits of a really low spoiler, without the worry of killing it on the street every time you approached a speed bump or random twig or driveway.

As a car moves swiftly down the road, air does under the body of the car as well as over the top, which produces lift. A low air dam blocks that airflow, and helps keep the car attached to the road at speed.

Plus, they look cool.

So. Who wants one?
Gint
I like 'em. Looks really cool.

But wouldn't removing a lot of air flow under the car would decrease the draw from under the engine compartment and possibly compromise cooling at least a little bit?
blitZ
I am interested. I have a LE dam, which I've managed to crack on some parking curbs. This looks like a good solution.
MDG
I'm not looking for one but a friend has been searching in vain to find a replacement for his Flexdam. I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat.

Of all the aftermarket spoilers I've always liked the looks of these best. A lot of guys take the lower rubber skirt off and just run the upper FG section. In that configuration, IMHO, they look nicer than the factory LE spoiler as they follow the lines of the bumper better. The LE spoiler always looks kind of bucktoothed to me.

a member here - Kargeek's - superb white car has this.

they'd sell

m.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 27 2009, 09:12 AM) *

I like 'em. Looks really cool.

But wouldn't removing a lot of air flow under the car would decrease the draw from under the engine compartment and possibly compromise cooling at least a little bit?

Actually, it should draw more. The area under the car would be a big low pressure zone, drawing heated air from the cooling tin and puling it away from the engine. Its the same premise as the flaps directly in front of the engine bay on the 75-76 cars.

That said, I'm not an engineer. I did not even sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

Zach
Mikey914
We are currently looking at building these, I like the idea of the rubber taking alot of the abuse that would normally damage the lower section, allowing for a closer ground clearance. Again, I think there is some room for improvements on this that will make it stronger, and perhaps we can even get it slightly lower. The key is the demand. Before we spend thousands in tooling we really need to see how many people have an interest. I know this market is more limited to the preformance side, but there may be enough interest to do these.

Any feedback helps.

Thanks,
Mark
ConeDodger
A buddy of mine could make that with stuff from Home Depot! shades.gif
Bruce Hinds
Hey Mark,
Great idea, I'll get one for sure. I've run one on my V8 for the past 20+ years. The upper part(fiberglass) needs to be made just a little stronger. They have a tendency to break around the mounting points, and the top edge on the sides just ahead of the wheel well.

I can send you some pics if you want to see one that's well worn. Mine's also been modified for the radiator intake, that might be an option for for the GT guys too.
andys
Would it be lower than say the deep valence with brake ducts; this one:
Click to view attachment
This one already snags and scrapes on most everything. The rubber part would see quite a bit of abuse if it were lower, me thinks. Also, would it be intended to fit a flared car?

Thanks,

Andys
Mikey914
The re-inforcement at the mounting points was one of the items we had discussed. It should sit lower than the GT style, and yes the bottom lip will take alot of abuse. The idea is that the rubber section could be replaced without having to buy a whole new one. I think I have an example from which we can evaluate the failures of the original to make some improvements.

Keep the input comming, there's always room for improvement.
Mikey914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 27 2009, 08:40 AM) *

A buddy of mine could make that with stuff from Home Depot! shades.gif

"Yeah, but my dad is a TV repair man and he has an awesome set of tools"
jfort
I am interested in this, too. Would like it to match with GT flares if possible.
PeeGreen 914
I would be intersted I guess. If the cost is that low why not. Gives me a few different options. My really low airdam is cracked at the moment and I am going to fix it and put a splitter on it. I will use it mostly for track stuff. This would be good for the rest of the time. aktion035.gif
dkjens
I had one of those on my '74 914 some 15 years ago. The fiberglass part does have to be made very strong, especially where it attached to the bottom of the front fenders. This point is where the fiberglass part is being ripped out, when attempting to back away from a situation where the lip has gotten a little hung up (parking blocks, drive ways, curbs etc.).
jhadler
Interested.

But I'd be looking for brake ducts and an oil cooler opening as well.

-Josh2
Al Meredith
We had one on an EP racer years ago. I think I still have the rubber part. As I remember, The rubber had an extruded square slot along the top and you threaded that over round head bolts heads inserted from the rear. Then tightened the nuts and secured the rubber with no visable mounting hardware . I think I still have the rubber if a piece of it would help you to fabricate a new one. Maybe even a picture.....I'll look in the shed tomorrow and post a pic. Al
roadster fan
I like it. I am in. Perfect for everyday driving.

Jim
ellisor3
I would be in as well. I have been looking for this dam and it is not currently available anywhere I can find.

Will it work with front flares????
arvcube
i'd be interested for that price. I'd be interested in fiberglass bumpertops too.. smile.gif
Mikey914
I'm working with James to produce this product (morph), we have discussed the flare issue, so far there are many different variations on the fiberglass flares, the steel are more consistent, we are going to set these up so that they can be used on both, and could be modified by the end user to accomidate whatever flairs you may have. This would mean they could be cut and spliced with additional fiberglass by the end user, to accomidate flaring it out more.

So, yes it will work with flares, but you may want to modify it for a more streamlined look.

Brake cooling we have yet to discuss.

Keep the imput rolling in.
ellisor3
Here is one with the rolled panels. You can see the edges do take some rubbing.
MDG
Click to view attachment

This one has it with flares; the lower rubber skirt has been removed. Looks good to me even if the spoiler and the flare joint is not perfect. Close, but not perfect.

I love the way this one follows the lines of the bumper. And as stated earlier, the weak link is the attachment points in the FG.

mike
Zimms
I am in for one if you go forward. Narrow body.
Mikey914
The good news is the rubber is going to be the same profile as the old part, so replacement rubber will be available that can be used for the old spoiler if you have one.
jsayre914
piratenanner.gif im one of those guys that has been searching in vein...

i had one on my last 914, it was about 1 inch off the ground, really cool, and every time i scraped it up, took a little armorall and wiped it brand new again. I loved it. i will try to post a pic tommorow.

id like another cheer.gif
veltror
I 'd like one of these..
MDG
at least one up here too, Mark.
Joe Bob
I had one for years.....loved it. Would consider one for my 911. My splitter didn't last more than a week in this town.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 27 2009, 06:12 AM) *

agree.gif That, and you'd want to route some cooling air to your front brakes ... shades.gif
Mikey914
Looks like I'll have my hands on one real soon. I'll be working on the details this upcoming week.
dw914er
I had one on my car for years (before I started driving the car though).... The only problem was that a piece of tire shred on the freeway would always sneak up and WHAM!!! crack the corner. My dad probably fixed it 3 times and eventually when we towed the car it tore off from the trailer. Our lesson, the fiberglass needs to be pretty tough. It sits that low you need to make sure it can take the stress given to it.

I loved the look, and would get another probably, but it does sit really really low

Only reason why I don't have one anymore is the last one was trashed, and my stock valence was in the shed.. Cheap and Easy solution
dw914er
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Feb 28 2009, 03:32 AM) *

Here is one with the rolled panels. You can see the edges do take some rubbing.

that offset in the rear looks amazing on that car
RoadGlue
I'd be down for one, preferably with brake ducts, but I can always add those myself.
geniusanthony
I'd like one of these as well
Van914
Yes, I'm in for one too.
Thanks
van914
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 5 2009, 11:01 PM) *

Looks like I'll have my hands on one real soon. I'll be working on the details this upcoming week.

Do you need one to pull a mold from? Mine has been modified for an oil cooler or in my case a radiator, al GT style.

B
VaccaRabite
Awesome.

I'm really excited about this product.

Zach
Richard Casto
I think the problem you are already seeing is that you have interest in different versions. Flare, no flare, brake cooling, no brake cooling, oil cooler cutout, no oil cooler cutout.

I for one am looking for GT flare, brake cooling and NO oil cooler cutout. If you can give me that combo, I will buy one.

You mentioned earlier that those who want GT flare will need to modify it on their own. To be frank, I probably wouldn't buy this if I am going to have to modify it. Or at least, I may be just as likely to pick a different spoiler as the starting point. Hope this helps you decide on what products you will make!
Demick
I had the flexdam on my car for years. I got it because I also thought it was the best looking spoiler.

However, if you run it with the rubber, IT WILL HINDER THE ENGINE COOLING in a significant way. The lower rubber section will raise your oil temperatures by 25 degrees. I assume it also affects the head temps. Hard to believe, but it's true and I experienced it first-hand.

Nothing wrong with just the fiberglass portion though.

Of course, this was for a type4 motor. May not have the same effect on a six, and obviously isn't a concern on a watercooled conversion.

Demick
cobra94563
I would be interested, especially if it could fit over my tow bar and be removable for towing. (I'd be willing to modify it, if needed, to do that.)
johnnie5
QUOTE(Demick @ Mar 6 2009, 09:19 AM) *

I had the flexdam on my car for years. I got it because I also thought it was the best looking spoiler.

However, if you run it with the rubber, IT WILL HINDER THE ENGINE COOLING in a significant way. The lower rubber section will raise your oil temperatures by 25 degrees. I assume it also affects the head temps. Hard to believe, but it's true and I experienced it first-hand.

Nothing wrong with just the fiberglass portion though.

Of course, this was for a type4 motor. May not have the same effect on a six, and obviously isn't a concern on a watercooled conversion.

Demick

It does look very trick, but I was concerned with cooling as well (type 4). I recently changed out my factory valance for a LE copy from Appearance & Performance. Great fit and very sharp (and still somewhat of the original look). Thanks again James!

Sorry for the hi-jack!
Mikey914
So far, the brake cooling could be added as an option. The cooling may be addressed most effectively by splitting the rubber in the center allowing the air to flow better, this is similar to the split you see in the 916 lower section. As far as flaring the edges there is so much variation between steel and fiberglass that we will leave the modification for flares up to the owner.

Thants where it stands right now.
ssstikircr
I would probably like one. aktion035.gif
Mikey914
Looks like these will be going into production. I'm going to work with James (morph) to produce an improved version of these. It will have an option to add in brake ducting for cooling. I'll get more information and post pictures after we get the fiberglass work done.
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif
dw914er
sweet... looking forward to it
geniusanthony
icon_bump.gif
Mikey914
Thanks for the bump. Molds are being right now should have fist parts in 7-12 days. mark your calender. I will post pictures as soon as these are out.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 2 2009, 01:29 AM) *

Thanks for the bump. Molds are being right now should have fist parts in 7-12 days. mark your calender. I will post pictures as soon as these are out.

How did I miss this post?

I want one of these BAD!

Zach
arvcube
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 16 2009, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 2 2009, 01:29 AM) *

How did I miss this post?

I want one of these BAD!

Zach

How did you miss that post...? you started the thread!! lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.