Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top side seal & the Mini-Me seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Gentlemen and sundry ner-do wells,

Got tired of my mobile swimming pool after every monsoon and broke down and bought new side seals from the Pelican. After reading a couple informative, and a couple of pathetic threads, there was no answer about the Mini-me seal.

There is the thick inner main seal and then the very thin lip-like outer (Mini-Me) thin seal.

My question - since the old seals only had the thick inner seal - is the window glass supposed to seat between the thick inner and the thin inner seal? If so, how do I get the outer seal to relax a bit so the glass can slide in between? Or is the glass just supposed to press against the outer thin lip?

Pathetic pic of the offender with a wire inserted to spread the proverbial lips unsure.gif :
JoeSharp
The glass just comes up to the seal and rest against it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 28 2009, 01:39 AM) *

The glass just comes up to the seal and rest against it.

Actually, the profile should allow for the glass to have just enough clearance to pass under the small seal. There will be a little resistance when the door is opened as the glass is pushed out again.
This picture is with the 3 part main seal removed. You are looking at the front of the passenger window. There's about 1/16-1/8" of the glass under the "mini-me seal"
Joe Owensby
Does the glass flip back inside the small outer lip when it the door is closed with the glass up? I have some new seals that have the lip, but it is pretty close to the inner lip, and the glass can not go between the two.

Thanks, JoeO
Mikey914
Mine was designed to go inside the gap between the two, so that you have 2 barriers. The mini seal on the outside, so if the water gets past the 1st barrier, it then has to go against gravity to get over the top of the glass to get into the inside. You will also notice that the seal in the track is tight enough that it bows up forcing the gap open between the 2 seals. Knd of a pain to put in, but works well.
RickS
Because the inner and outer lips are pressed together - I will try 'relaxing' the outer from the inner by placing a coax cable between the two, so they resemble the pics you good chaps posted.

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.