Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OH MY GOD!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mbrown3039
I had an appointment postpone on me today, and lo and behold, I found myself with an extra 45 minutes this afternoon and around the corner from Renegade Hybrids. I thought I'd take a chance that they might be slow enough to offer me a shop tour, but it turned out much, much better...

Scott was on the phone when I walked in, but in short order he asked me to follow him into one of their storage spaces (he and I met about 4 years ago when the PO of my 914 toured the shop). Oh, the eye candy to be seen...a very nice white 928, a real 930 slant nose, and a very recent 993 AWD (with no engine in it, hmmm....) and -- right by the overhead door Scott was opening -- a VERY nice 914.

Dark metallic blue, LS-1 loaded, tastefully flared, and with a beautiful interior (including a very nice center console I intend on copying). The coolest "touch" (IMO) was the start/stop button, lifted from the Honda S2000. After I got over oggling the interior, Scott offered me a ride -- WOO-HOO!!!

We rode around fairly placidly for a while because Scott wantetd the oil to warm up a bit before pushing the engine. After about 10 minutes of that, and without any warning, he hit it -- HARD.

All I could manage was a very loud, exaltive "JESUS CHRIST!!!". The power was amazing: we hit something around 80 - 85mph in about 3 seconds (from a rolling start) while still in 2nd! This car reminded me of the roller coaster at the Sahara Hotel -- it's one of those mag-lev units that slingshots to a start -- except the 914 was faster, WAY faster. I kept waiting (in that 3-second span) for the power to tail off, but it never did.

Right about the time I was noticing -- and worrying about -- how the car's speed was still going up, I noticed that there was stop sign up ahead -- and it was getting closer FAST. In about 3 milliseconds my thinking went from "Oh my God, will it ever stop?" to "Oh God, please let us stop in time!" and "How will they tell my body parts apart from his?"

No worries. Scott stomped on the brakes (his own design, I found out later) and we came to a very quick, very firm, fade-free stop. Well short of the intersection, I might add. We repeated this process about 6 more times, with a bunch of turns -- including one switchback where a guy driving a Suzuki sport-ute decided to race us (seriously) -- and then the joy of my week was over. <sigh>

This was amazing, to say the least. Un-f**ing-believable is more like it. Damn, that car is FAST. I'm not sure who ordered this car, but I hate them already (unless they're going to let me drive it someday, of course). Still in assembly is a red model which is nearly a twin of the blue one I rode in, but it's also spoken for. Not that I'm in the market -- I'm still trying to find the TPS on my stock '76, after all.

But, then again......maybe I scrap the 2.0 and go big...VERY big.
Wilhelm
Cool, But Jesus C, get us some specifications: which LSX?, which tranny?, which wheels?, which brakes?, what water pump setup?, is the firewall intact?. And pictures man, ya gotta get some pictures. Like da man say: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
cvoros
agree.gif

Sounds like it was fun! More details about it would be awesome.
Dr. Roger
Would you believe you actually get used to it over time? happy11.gif

Then you will want more, and more... driving.gif

You've been bitten and there's only one cure. aktion035.gif

Mine's for sale... idea.gif

The LS1.
From 1997 up until 2000, the LS1 in the Corvette had an advertised 345 HP. From 1998 up until 2000 the LS1 in the Camaro Z28 and Pontiac Trans Am had an advertised 305 HP, and the horsepower in the Camaro SS and Trans Am WS6 had an advertised 320 HP. It is pretty much believed that the HP ratings on the F-bodies are underrated.
mbrown3039
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Mar 2 2009, 11:59 PM) *

Cool, But Jesus C, get us some specifications: which LSX?, which tranny?, which wheels?, which brakes?, what water pump setup?, is the firewall intact?. And pictures man, ya gotta get some pictures. Like da man say: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Since my brain has re-solidified overnight (from the drooling, covetous mush it had become yesterday) I now realize I should've thought about all that. I don't know about pics -- that's Scott's call -- but I'm sure I can get more info on the gear. More later, Mike
sean_v8_914
402rwhp seems slow to me now. I know that sounds rediculous but DR is right, you get used to it after a while
Toast
I will have an opportunity to drive this car and I can give my own personal info. on this car.

In the meantime, here are the stats that I know:

-Engine: 5.7 liter Block with a 4.8 Ltr crank
-De-stroked to aprox 312 cu inches.
-DYNO specks: happily turning 7000 rpm. 68oo rpm it was 300 HP with 300 foot pound of torque to the ground! ohmy.gif

It comes on very stong in the midrange and it keeps pulling up to 7 grand. What is great about this teener conversion with this particular motor is that it does not develop a lot of low end torque that can potentially brake traction or damange the 914 transaxle.

IMO, with its attactive package, the light motor and the stock 914 tranny with taller gears, its the perfect little V8 914. Plus it's in my favorite car color! wub.gif wub.gif

I can't wait to drive it!! drooley.gif

toast.gif
Toast
Here are some pics! ( I know you guys are dying!)
Toast
aktion035.gif
Toast
pray.gif
schreiber
You're right, that IS nice! And the flares really are tastefully done...
Toast
The flares are amazing!
They seem to have barely modifed the look of the stock fender. And you guys know how I am about keeping my 914 stock. rolleyes.gif
KELTY360
Who is the lucky Washington guy getting that little rocket? Needs to come out to Teener Tuesday when it gets home.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(Toast @ Mar 3 2009, 01:59 PM) *

The flares are amazing!
They seem to have barely modifed the look of the stock fender. And you guys know how I am about keeping my 914 stock. rolleyes.gif

Sweet looking car, and a very solid transplant. Thanks for the Pictures, Toast.

Who is the lucky person in Wa.?

Troy perhaps? popcorn[1].gif
messix
GOD i wish! driving.gif
messix
although i do like boobs very much ...but those tits gotta go!
Sleepin
messix
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 3 2009, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 3 2009, 11:01 PM) *

Toasts are fine just the way they are. stirthepot.gif wink.gif

i have not met Toast, but i'm sure that she is just perfect with factory originals. [where's a dirty old man smiley when you need one]
nsr-jamie
wow!
mbrown3039
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Mar 3 2009, 09:00 AM) *

402rwhp seems slow to me now. I know that sounds rediculous but DR is right, you get used to it after a while

I'd like to find that out first-hand... happy11.gif Mike
6freak
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 3 2009, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 3 2009, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 3 2009, 11:01 PM) *

Toasts are fine just the way they are. stirthepot.gif wink.gif

i have not met Toast, but i'm sure that she is just perfect with factory originals. [where's a dirty old man smiley when you need one]

agree.gif idea.gif
ConeDodger
I am not sure which of you guys upset poor Mr MBrown with your reference to Melba's assets but he is busy behind the scenes defending her honor. He seems to think it was me but frankly, this is my first post to this thread. I have no interest in anything V8 or Renegade for that matter so his PM to me defending Ms. Toast's honor was my first trigger to even look at this thread.

It appears that it might have been Eric (Sleepin) from Grand Junction. Eric can you apologize to Mr. Brown. Melba can take care of herself and would fire you up all on her own if she was offended. Who knows, she might yet. But at any rate, I don't appreciate this asshat calling me out for something I had nothing whatsoever to do with...

There is your apology Mike... Next time, check your facts well.
MoveQik
Rob,

Rob, you and I both know that Toast can take care of herself and that Eric's comments were in no way out of line considering the fact that they are friends.

Dude....you are too nice. drunk.gif biggrin.gif

MW
RJMII
ooh, ooh, can I be offended too, please?

There are many religious statements in the very first post of this thread. I find offense in them. stirthepot.gif

So is that Toast's car? Is that why we're talking about her bumper? Was it just the 73 and 74 that had the protrusions, and the 70-72 were smooth bumpers?

Those flares do look slick, that's for sure!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 5 2009, 10:39 PM) *

Rob,

Rob, you and I both know that Toast can take care of herself and that Eric's comments were in no way out of line considering the fact that they are friends.

MW

I know! MBrown, you need to have a few more than what? 35 posts and 5 months before you start worrying about who says what... For the record, he PMed me and apparently Andy and Eric. The PM was directed at Eric but he CC'd it to me and Andy. As you might guess the PM tells me in no uncertain terms that I should not have blah blah blah... I'm sure Andy got the same thing. WTF! I never even read the thread until after the PM!

Toasty one... you offended darlin'? You know all us big brothers will take care of you if you asked but you seem perfectly capable of handling your own self...
Sleepin
Everyone relax...I have apologized to all....hell if I was out of line referencing bumper tits with female anatomy...I apologize to you as well. I am sure I am the first to make any reference to the comparison. ohmy.gif

I am sure if Toast is offended, she will probably kick me square in the bearings (yes, that is a reference to my male anatomy) at the next meet (and I will fall down...rah-sham-bo over).

OT: The car is awesome and would be a nice addition to the 7 914s I got! laugh.gif (matter of fact, I would trade them all for that one!) wink.gif
messix
pm'ing behind the scenes would seem like a good idea on most forums ... but not this one! if you feel some thing needs to be said you should just come out with it.

this non-club is tighter than a frogs ass when it comes to our own! and we joke a prod eacth other all the time and we like it that way.
mbrown3039
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2009, 10:25 PM) *

I am not sure which of you guys upset poor Mr MBrown with your reference to Melba's assets but he is busy behind the scenes defending her honor. He seems to think it was me but frankly, this is my first post to this thread. I have no interest in anything V8 or Renegade for that matter so his PM to me defending Ms. Toast's honor was my first trigger to even look at this thread.

It appears that it might have been Eric (Sleepin) from Grand Junction. Eric can you apologize to Mr. Brown. Melba can take care of herself and would fire you up all on her own if she was offended. Who knows, she might yet. But at any rate, I don't appreciate this asshat calling me out for something I had nothing whatsoever to do with...

Unfortunately it appears there is no easy way of knowing the difference between receiving a PM and receiving a CC (Carbon Copy) of a PM.

For those of you who need some additional drama -- and since Rob brought it up here, not me -- I posted a question (on another thread) to SirAndy asking him why he banned someone for calling Rob a "buttlicker" but the people who were making comments (innapropriate and in poor taste, IMO) about Toast weren't even reprimanded. Rob jumped in before SirAndy had even replied and pointed me towards the "Rules.." thread. After SirAndy replied, I thought the best course of action was to PRIVATELY (that's what the "P" in "PM" stands for, Rob) contact the individual in question and share my opinion. I CC'd Rob on that PM because he and I had converesed about the matter and I wanted him to see how I decided to handle it.

That was, of course, a BIG mistake. Rob ASSUMED the PM was directed at him, and proceeded to blast me with his own PM to me (all sorts of stuff about "honor" and "goodwill"), and then publicly on this thread. All before getting my reply to his PM explaining the whole CC thing. So, Rob, who got their facts wrong -- you or I?

And, in case anyone would like to know, the offender replied to me, acknowledged the foolishness (his word) of his remarks, and has assured me he will be calling Toast to apologize.

My lessons learned here: 1) This forum software doesn't allow someone to easily see their PM recipient status (Primary or CC); 2) If I have a gripe with an individual about something posted here, don't bother the Admins or Senior Members -- just take it to the source and let them handle it as they see fit; and 3) Rob is WAAAAY more sensitive than I ever thought. I NEVER called him out in public and NEVER accused him of anything -- and here's his response....nice, huh?

And, BTW, how many of you have spoken with Melba face-to-face in the last 48 hours. I know I have, twice in fact....so, maybe I know something Rob and company don't....

One last thing:

SirAndy: I WOULD LIKE CONEDODGER BANNED FOR CALLING ME AN "ASSHAT." NAME CALLING IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED BY THE RULES OF THIS FORUM, AND NAME-CALLING IS VERY REASON YOU BANNED S***8 (WHEN HE CALLED ROB A "BUTT-LICKER"). PLEASE APPLY THE RULES EQUALLY TO ALL MEMBERS.

MoveQik
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2009, 11:25 PM) *

asshat

STILL the funniest name EVER!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 5 2009, 10:51 PM) *

Everyone relax...I have apologized to all....hell if I was out of line referencing bumper tits with female anatomy...I apologize to you as well. I am sure I am the first to make any reference to the comparison. ohmy.gif

I am sure if Toast is offended, she will probably kick me square in the bearings (yes, that is a reference to my male anatomy) at the next meet (and I will fall down...rah-sham-bo over).

OT: The car is awesome and would be a nice addition to the 7 914s I got! laugh.gif (matter of fact, I would trade them all for that one!) wink.gif

Apparently he thought since I directed him to the rules that I was interested in what he was upset about... So he PMed me the PM he sent to you. Nothing to indicate it wasn't to me... Not addressed to you. Just me...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 5 2009, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2009, 11:25 PM) *

asshat

STILL the funniest name EVER!

I know! Z. is a very funny guy...
messix
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 5 2009, 10:51 PM) *

your sooo outta line!

she's gonna kick your ass happy11.gif

i really don't think there is any reason to apologize.

think we just have some one in our midst that is an HR specalist or is the PC police. screwy.gif
mbrown3039
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2009, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 5 2009, 10:39 PM) *

Rob,

MW

I know! MBrown, you need to have a few more than what? 35 posts and 5 months before you start worrying about who says what... For the record, he PMed me and apparently Andy and Eric. The PM was directed at Eric but he CC'd it to me and Andy. As you might guess the PM tells me in no uncertain terms that I should not have blah blah blah... I'm sure Andy got the same thing. WTF! I never even read the thread until after the PM!

And -- just like the Auto Atlanta V-Day Sale thread -- you're the one who seems to want to keep this going in public. I tried to resolve this PRIVATELY not once but TWICE -- but you have to come out scrappin', huh? It seems like you only know two modes of forum response: "School Zone" and "Petal-To-The-Metal-White-Knuckles-Clenched-On-The-Steering-Wheel-Damn-The-Torpedoes-Full-Speed-Ahead."

Oh well, to each his own. I'm off to bed. Mike (aka Mr. Brown)
RJMII
religious discussions are against the rules here, too! there are multiple references to Deity, not only in the first post but in the subject heading as well!

ban the offender! ban him, I say, ban him!
Sleepin
Like I said, I shot Toast a PM and a text apologizing if it offended her.

I have doubts it did, but it could have. I am not one to be to proud to recognize something as a mistake if it was a mistake.

I will make a public apology if it is really necessary....hell let the drama unfold. I am a man about things.

Toast, if I offended you in any way in my previous posts, it was not my intention...simply joking among friends!

Now quit the freakin drama and talk about this badass car.
RJMII
we should vote and have that rule changed. No name calling unless it is 'asshat'.

or 'Mike'. that could be used in place of 'asshat' now, yes? Unless Dr Evil objects. or Z. hmm... stirthepot.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mbrown3039 @ Mar 5 2009, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2009, 10:25 PM) *

Unfortunately it appears there is no easy way of knowing the difference between receiving a PM and receiving a CC (Carbon Copy) of a PM.

For those of you who need some additional drama -- and since Rob brought it up here, not me -- I posted a question (on another thread) to SirAndy asking him why he banned someone for calling Rob a "buttlicker" but the people who were making comments (innapropriate and in poor taste, IMO) about Toast weren't even reprimanded. Rob jumped in before SirAndy had even replied and pointed me towards the "Rules.." thread. After SirAndy replied, I thought the best course of action was to PRIVATELY (that's what the "P" in "PM" stands for, Rob) contact the individual in question and share my opinion. I CC'd Rob on that PM because he and I had converesed about the matter and I wanted him to see how I decided to handle it.

That was, of course, a BIG mistake. Rob ASSUMED the PM was directed at him, and proceeded to blast me with his own PM to me (all sorts of stuff about "honor" and "goodwill"), and then publicly on this thread. All before getting my reply to his PM explaining the whole CC thing. So, Rob, who got their facts wrong -- you or I?

And, in case anyone would like to know, the offender replied to me, acknowledged the foolishness (his word) of his remarks, and has assured me he will be calling Toast to apologize.

My lessons learned here: 1) This forum software doesn't allow someone to easily see their PM recipient status (Primary or CC); 2) If I have a gripe with an individual about something posted here, don't bother the Admins or Senior Members -- just take it to the source and let them handle it as they see fit; and 3) Rob is WAAAAY more sensitive than I ever thought. I NEVER called him out in public and NEVER accused him of anything -- and here's his response....nice, huh?

And, BTW, how many of you have spoken with Melba face-to-face in the last 48 hours. I know I have, twice in fact....so, maybe I know something Rob and company don't....

One last thing:

SirAndy: I WOULD LIKE CONEDODGER BANNED FOR CALLING ME AN "ASSHAT." NAME CALLING IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED BY THE RULES OF THIS FORUM, AND NAME-CALLING IS VERY REASON YOU BANNED S***8 (WHEN HE CALLED ROB A "BUTT-LICKER"). PLEASE APPLY THE RULES EQUALLY TO ALL MEMBERS.

Where is the apology I asked for? I gave you 20 minutes and you were online. You didn't respond and when you finally did I had already gone here to this thread and tried to figure out who was upsetting you so much you were blasting me. I never said you were calling me out publically, I said you were calling me out.
RJMII
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 6 2009, 12:07 AM) *

Now quit the freakin drama and talk about this badass car.

Where's the fun in that?
messix
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 5 2009, 11:08 PM) *

we should vote and have that rule changed. No name calling unless it is 'asshat'.

or 'Mike'. that could be used in place of 'asshat' now, yes? Unless Dr Evil objects. or Z. hmm... stirthepot.gif

those guys are asshats too happy11.gif
Sleepin
...and I am offended at anyone that demands political correctness. Sorry, but seems it is coming into play...I would have to share that as well.

Damn.....I am an asshat! :cryingpoliticalcorrectnesssmiley:
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 5 2009, 11:10 PM) *

...and I am offended at anyone that demands political correctness. Sorry, but seems it is coming into play...I would have to share that as well.

Damn.....I am an asshat! :cryingpoliticalcorrectnesssmiley:

Me too! Don't we have an asshat smiley?
Sleepin
Sorry Rob.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 5 2009, 11:12 PM) *

Sorry Rob.....

No problem Eric... Honest to God, right out of the blue I sign in and get the same PM that you apparently got. Nothing to indicate that it isn't to me. I'm thinking WTF! I never even posted to that thread. I'm thinking I might be foggy on the pain pills so I go to the thread and read it, every last post and discover I didn't post to it, I wasn't even mentioned in it. So I send him a PM asking for an apology. Then I wait, and wait, and wait.... Finally, I figure fuch it! Only after I post here do I get a PM telling me to "Hold on Gunslinger!" Sorry for the confusion? Who's confusion? MBrown, PM's pop up right away on the screen instantly. I would have answered that one from me in a real hurry... It would have avoided this.
messix
i'm pissed! mad.gif

i didn't get any p/m's
Sleepin
Hell, I dunno man. I honestly saw no harm....maybe I should have. I will further refrain from any joking with friends (I may joke with myself however) in leiu of the non-offense clause.

edit: Oh....sorry Troy!
SirAndy

I think your CAPS-LOCK key might be stuck ...
shades.gif Andy
Sleepin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 6 2009, 12:25 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

I am offended! drunk.gif drunk.gif sad.gif dry.gif confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 5 2009, 11:32 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 6 2009, 12:25 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

I am offended! drunk.gif drunk.gif sad.gif dry.gif confused24.gif

fuch off ya wussy happy11.gif av-943.gif

this thread is SOOOO hyjacked! headbang.gif

well what else would we expect from this place? lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
Anyone interested in a group buy on fuzzy dashboard covers before I go to bed? lol-2.gif
MDG
I'm new here and I'm a Mike . . . can I be an asshat too? boldblue.gif

Mike(MBrown) though the engine mods aren't my thing, I agree - that is one hot looking car. I've only been on this site a month or so but I have been coming here as a guest for a couple of years. One thing that is pretty obvious; this is a great group who do a fantastic job of self-governing this board and many have known each other for years. Take a breath and enjoy brother; there's enough drama out there - no one is trying to start it here.

Now. At the risk of adding Canadianus Ignoramus to asshat, WTF is a fuzzy dash cover!?! George, whatever it is, kudos for not stocking it smilie_pokal.gif

oh, would having an admin change my status from Newbie to Bewbie be inappropriate? hide.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.