Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Exhaust Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
I have seen my share of different exhausts on 6's and am curious as to what you guys feel is the best by way of performance. I see cars that have stingers, Triads, stock, and others.

I guess I am confussed as to why people say you need to bring all pipes together for balance and such. I don't understand this all that well. So do the exhausts that go straight back with out connecting each side not do as well? confused24.gif
messix
scavenging!
charliew
Most multiple cylinder motors run better when the exhaust pulses help scavange the exhaust. Also a balance tube between the two cylinder banks help gets the drone of the exhaust to a minimum. The high tech cones (super trap) with changeable diffuser disks are probably the most tuneable. As you add the disks the exhaust gets louder. As you remove the disk the backpressure increases and improves low speed torque.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 3 2009, 09:50 PM) *

I guess I am confussed as to why people say you need to bring all pipes together for balance and such. I don't understand this all that well. So do the exhausts that go straight back with out connecting each side not do as well? confused24.gif

It's less of an issue on a /6.

Backpressure baby!
On a /4, you'll kill your HP if you don't do a 4 in 1 (Or 4 in 2 in 1) ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
So from a performance stand point would what T.C. has on his car be better than JP's triad.
messix
back pressure is never good.

there is a science for building exhaust. you have to have the diameter and length of the whole system right to get the best performance.

the key of the whole is to keep the exhaust from choking [backpressure] the engine while still maintaining velocity in the system to help "pull" [scavenge] the exhaust gasses from the cylinders.
SirAndy
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 3 2009, 10:10 PM) *

there is a science for building exhaust. you have to have the diameter and length of the whole system right to get the best performance.

the key of the whole is to keep the exhaust from choking [backpressure] the engine while still maintaining velocity in the system to help "pull" [scavenge] the exhaust gasses from the cylinders.

Not quite true. On a motor with an overlap cam, too much scavenging (Or not enough backpressure) can actually suck out fresh gasoline during the end of the exhaust cycle ...

It's all in the combo!
shades.gif Andy
messix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 3 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Not quite true. On a motor with an overlap cam, too much scavenging (Or not enough backpressure) can actually suck out fresh gasoline during the end of the exhaust cycle ...

It's all in the combo!
shades.gif Andy

that cam would be a crutch solution to a ineficient exhaust, and that engine would not make it's best power on either side [with good cam and backpressure/ high overlap cam and good exhaust] like you said it's in the combo. so if you can chose your cam and exhaust and have the heads and intake that can breath your best off with no back pressure.
jt914-6
Click to view attachmentHere's my choice: 18" Supertrapps W/18 discs each, European Racing headers Jet Hot coated. 3.0, Cosworth pistons (10:1 compression), "S" cams, 40 Weber carbs. Very quiet for that many discs. No crossover tube.
dflesburg
I run headers and megaphones on my 3.2

I also have a sport muffler that I got from b&b - I like that too but will keep the meagphones on till the cops around here give me shit.

So far so good.
carr914
I don't have a cross-over tube, even though I have thought of making one. I haven't had a problem with the donut-munchers yet, of course I dump the clutch & the rpms anytime I see one laugh.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 4 2009, 12:50 AM) *

I guess I am confussed as to why people say you need to bring all pipes together for balance...

You have to look at the firing order.

on a 911 it's 1-6-2-4-3-5 which means exactly the same timing between firing events on each bank. it's basically two 3-cylinder engines 180ยบ out of phase. 911 engines actually run pretty well on only one bank...

a VW Boxer engine, however, has consecutive firing events on adjacent cylinders. so on each bank, it's bang-bang-(nothing)-(nothing).

Scavenging exhausts work best when the pulses -leave- with equal interval.

I read an interview with Jim Busby who ran a crossover on his 911RSR's and he said it was in large part so if he backed into something or got hit in the back and it closed up one side, he could still carry on -- and mentioned twice when that exact thing happened. So there's that, which may be not as good a reason to have them on the street.

Once upon a time, the general rule of thumb was that they were unnecessary below 2,7 and of marginal utility up to 3,0. You get to factor in the weight, cost, and complexity, plus the reliability issue of Porsche's 8mm exhaust studs.

This is one thing Subaru learned - their exhaust studs are 10mm...
carr914
Real 914-6GT

Click to view attachment
carr914
One of my old cars. Got these from GT Racing

Click to view attachment

PeeGreen 914

Why do you use that hanger T.C.? Can't you just use the stock hanger?
IronHillRestorations
The stock HE's are hard to beat for a 3.0 or smaller engine. Bruce Anerson's much storied 215hp 3.0 with backdated exhaust was a carb'd 3.0 with stock 914-6 he's (Bruce told me that). You might give up a little hp on the top end, but not a lot. It really depends on the application and the rpm range that the engine will be living in. For a street car, a little too small is better than too big.
J P Stein
My motor is tuned for mid range grunt. Jon knows what type of balance tube muffler I run......it's not an accident. It may give up some top end vs stingers....big deal. Ya'll listen to your gurus, I'll listen to mine.
PeeGreen 914
AX car with no heat. Looking to see what the lightest exhaust is while giving the best performance.I already have a big Triad, JP Stein Triad, and am curious about the megaphones. I am thinkinng of seeing how they do on the dyno but don't really know whn I can. That and I don't have any megaphones blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 4 2009, 07:13 PM) *

My motor is tuned for mid range grunt. Jon knows what type of balance tube muffler I run......it's not an accident. It may give up some top end vs stingers....big deal. Ya'll listen to your gurus, I'll listen to mine.

There's really only one guru I will really be listening to as he is the engine man beerchug.gif . However, it may be fun to see what I see.
carr914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 4 2009, 06:35 PM) *

I suppose you could use a stock hanger. That would attach at the connection point between the headers & Megas. But the Megas hang out the back quite a bit and this hanger really has a grip on them.

T.C.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 4 2009, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 4 2009, 07:13 PM) *

There's really only one guru I will really be listening to as he is the engine man beerchug.gif . However, it may be fun to see what I see.

Is that the same one that Leeds took his car to have the engine rebuilt/tuned....down in Portland?
PeeGreen 914
No, he is a fellow teener and someone I trust more than anyone when it comes to engine building. I was going to build my engine myself but he convinced me it would be better if he did it. I am sure it is going to be awesome and he knows I want to beat Eric Fry this year with my little 2.4l laugh.gif Then there is the shootout beerchug.gif The engine will be sweet when done. Then I just need to get use to the extra power. aktion035.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 4 2009, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 4 2009, 06:35 PM) *

I suppose you could use a stock hanger. That would attach at the connection point between the headers & Megas. But the Megas hang out the back quite a bit and this hanger really has a grip on them.

T.C.

Yeah, that's what big bolts are for biggrin.gif I need to find a set and see what the dyno says before I really worry about the other hanger then. Now to find someone who has an extra set sitting around. I'm broke huh.gif I can always trade stuff:D
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 4 2009, 07:33 PM) *

No, he is a fellow teener and someone I trust more than anyone when it comes to engine building. I was going to build my engine myself but he convinced me it would be better if he did it. I am sure it is going to be awesome and he knows I want to beat Eric Fry this year with my little 2.4l laugh.gif Then there is the shootout beerchug.gif The engine will be sweet when done. Then I just need to get use to the extra power. aktion035.gif

One of the main reasons Eric is fast (other than his driving) at AX is because his 150ish hp 2.7L has mid range grunt. AX is NOT about top end. How much time do you spend at 7K rpms? The other Jeff is good, tho. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
The other Jeff? confused24.gif

Yes, my engine is designed for AX. It should be a mid torque monster piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.