Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: solid motor mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
southern 914
I have a 914-6 conversion rolleyes.gif But it is about to eat it's second oil pressure sender mad.gif It has been sugested that I put in some rubber mounts that the solid ones pass to much vibration to the sender. If I stay with this setup I should mount the sender to the firewall. Also I have the CIS injection, they tell me this also does not like the vibration but it sure runs strong at the track.

What are ideas you all have - solid or rubber. What does solid mounts really do for you. Haven't seen this thread before.

Thanks in advance
Qarl
Solid will make the vibrations worse. Go with the 911 type sport mounts...

IPB Image
SirAndy
yupp, the above sport mounts might be what you're looking for.

solid mounts give you a better, more "precise" feeling in the shifting cause you take away some sluggishness in the shifter-rod assembly.

i have the 911 sport mounts and me likes 'em. cool.gif
Andy
Mark Henry
Yep, us bug guys have known this for years.
Solid mounts just ends up breaking shit.

Why do you think you have to tighten all the nuts on an old Harley every week.
cool_shades.gif
Mike D.
another question along this same line....

What if "someone" was to use solid transmision mounts and the rubber engine mounts, any advantages? pros, cons? still no good?

-Mike D.
Mueller
What if "someone" was to use solid transmision mounts and the rubber engine mounts, any advantages? pros, cons? still no good?

lot's of us run this combo up here in NorCal since the rules allow it.....solid motor mounts are a no-no in most classes, yet they say nothing about running solid transmission mounts wink.gif
campbellcj
Same here; sport (911) front motor mounts, solid rears.

I think a few 914 guys run solid mounts all around, but that seems like the exception. It supposedly helps even more with the syndrome where you can't find a gear when the car is under a lot of load, like under decel into an uphill or downhill turn.
maf914
I have read somewhere (?) that solid mounts can lead to cracked/failed tranny mounting ears. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Also, I've seen the Weltmeister solid tranny mounts. They appear to be a block of polyurethane with a bolt through it. It looks like they are solid in tension but would flex a bit in compression. Are these considered solid or flexible? Are they any good?

Mike
seanery
Mike,
I've got SOLID tranny mounts, there is no rubber at all. Maybe you're thinking of the sport mounts?

This is the mount (it's not put together right in this pic).
IPB Image
maf914
Sean,

I understand. Some racers use various fabbed mounts like yours, ether steel or aluminum, and these are true solid mounts. Weltmeister sells what they call a solid mount, but is actually a block of polyurethane (or some other clear redish color plastic like that used for bushings). Because the block is fairly large it probably has pretty good resistance to compression. This block goes where your steel block or tube is shown. I have a set in my spare parts collection, never used.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.