Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I have gotten to the point of remounting the calipers with pads.

Are the metal plates that go inside between the piston and the pad needed? do they serve a purpose? Are they avaibale anywhere?

Also the spring/clips...I assume those are required to open the pads off the rotor. Are new clips available? thx
VaccaRabite
This question depends heavily on your desire to to stop consistantly. While in the Canyons of Glendale, Ca.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 4 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Are the metal plates that go inside between the piston and the pad needed? do they serve a purpose? Are they avaibale anywhere?

confused24.gif

The only "Metal Plates" between the pads and the pistons should be permanently bonded to the pads ...
huh.gif Andy

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
type47
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 4 2009, 12:51 PM) *

Also the spring/clips...I assume those are required to open the pads off the rotor. Are new clips available? thx

I say the metal plates are needed. I think they are needed because they will keep the pistons at the correct 20 degree angle (see Haynes or factory workshop manual) that they are set upon installation into caliper. The 20 degree angle has something to do with pad wear or the retraction of the piston when you release the brake or something like that. I got the plates with a rebuild kit. As for the springs, I have the springs installed although a reputable local independent Porsche shop removes them from 911 brakes.
southernmost914
The thin metal plates are piston indexing plates and keep the piston from spinning in its bore (front only). All part are avialable from vendors here.

Steve
7TPorsh
this all sounds reasonable. Looks like a need a set of plates and clips. Vendors here?
7TPorsh
i'll try and takes some pics tonight.
Cupomeat
It is my understanding that the angular locator plates are there to maintain the piston orientation and therefore provide uneven pressure on the pads giving more to the trailing edge of the pad.

I could be wrong.

Keep them in place. If you have done the 320i conversion, they don't use them, BTW.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 4 2009, 01:06 PM) *

It is my understanding that the angular locator plates are there to maintain the piston orientation and therefore provide uneven pressure on the pads giving more to the trailing edge of the pad.

That's what you get for dealing with 911 brakes for the last 8 years or so ... Totally forgot about those ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
davep
I have a few sets of the angle plates available.
7TPorsh
So...where can i buy the spring clips? i have the plates.
7TPorsh
Are these the same as the early 911?
southernmost914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 9 2009, 02:11 PM) *

So...where can i buy the spring clips? i have the plates.

Try PMB Performance or AA for your part needs.
biggrin.gif
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.