Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jo Sifferts Shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixnotfour
The building virtually unchanged since 1971
http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/jo-siffe...ebrochen-113240
another great piece from 911S registry.
effutuo101
Jeff, you come up with the coolest stuff.
sixnotfour
Ya, I should be in the shop . but the wife is back from Vegas.
Yes dear, oh that sounds so fun , glad you had a great time,
How much did you Win...................nevermind.

wish I could understand 'Schwitzerdütsch'
carr914
I fortunate enough to have met Jo a few times when I was a kid.

In fact I got to spend a day with him & Mario Andretti at a private test of the STP-March F1 car at Watkins Glen. It was extremely foggy, so they were delayed going on track, so I got to spend a lot of time with Jo. He was a true Gentleman.

There only about 20 people at the track total. Only a few more than in this 1st picture.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Here is Jo racing the same car later in the year.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

& at Monaco

Click to view attachment
carr914
I was obviously a Big Seppi fan

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

MDG
T.C. has the coolest race pics! One of the first races I went to with my dad was the '69 Canadian GP at Mosport - I was 7.

Siffert drove a Lotus that year; it broke. Jacky Ickx won in a Brabham smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
Jacky Ickx in a Matra F2

Click to view attachment

& Seppi - F1 both shots @ the Ring

Click to view attachment
MDG
back when drivers could make their cars fly! The guy in the ditch behind Ickz probably wished his didn't . . .
maf914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 6 2009, 06:39 AM) *

Here is Jo racing the same car later in the year.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Cool. Check out those airfoil shaped sidepods. The only thing missing was a set of skirts to control the airflow and contain the low pressure generated. As it turned out the idea was dropped and did not return untill Chapman built the Lotus 78 for Mario Andretti. Race car aerodynamics were forever changed! idea.gif
Scott S
I dont know the hisotry - but that video kind of stinks. I hate it when history goes away.

Slight highjack....

1. How many cars are usually on an F1 starting grid?
2. Didn't most of these teams have back-up cars?
3. If we even just go back from say 1969 to present, what does this equate to interms to the number of F1 cars built?

Taking all of this into consederation - where are they all? Are there that many private collectors? were they destroyed? It almost seems easier to buy a 916 (only 12 made) than an F1 car (100's - maybe 1000's made?)

Just curious....
MDG
Scott, check out some of the British car magazines; Classic & Sportscar, Octane etc. Aside from being great reads the classifieds are a who's who of vintage cars for sale.

Old F1 cars (along with just about every other type of racer) are listed quite regularly for sale. Probably more common to find in Europe than over here

m.
carr914
Exactly, much more plentiful in Europe, where they also hold more Vintage F! events. There is typically only 1 a year in the US @ the Monterey Historics. Occasionally Brian Redmon will organize another.

Ferrari has an arm of the company that sells, stores, and services their old F1 Cars for customers.

I had a friend that had a Jaguar F1 car hanging from the wall of his garage museum.

Click to view attachment

The other thing is the obvious lack of parts. You bend a car or part of it up, you could be years building it back up. Like this poor chap

Click to view attachment
carr914
And Pete Lovely from Tacoma, still has his Lotus 49 F1 car 37 years after he bought it from Colin Chapman and raced it in F1, with sponsorship from Lovely Volkswagon.

Click to view attachment

He used to bring it to the track on top of this VW Single-Cab

Click to view attachment
MDG
cool museum pic! Is that a Porsche tractor?

Vintage Motorsports is another great magazine for all this; tons of race cars for sale. Last month's had an ex Surtees F2 car, a 904 and a 914-6 GT among many others.

Love the single cab; I went to look at a dual cab a couple of weeks ago but until both 914's are done, no more room for another project dry.gif
carr914
Yes that is a Porsche Tractor - it is in the Brumos Museum, Bob Snodgrass & I grew up in Elmira, NY (18 minutes from Watkins Glen, where I was born). He was the Owner/President of Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville, FL.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
smilie_pokal.gif
MikeSpraggi
There's more than one event per year. Check out http://www.historicgrandprix.com/schedule.htm

Also, there is usually one at Watkins Glen, lately in conjunction with SVRA, INDY Car or in the past, the Zippo Historic races. These vintage F1 cars are awesome to see and hear! Ocassionally, there will be one, two or more of later F1 cars running as exhibition.

My personal favorite however is the vintage races like the BOSS series that mix up various types of open wheel cars. Nothing like seeing F1, turbo charged CART/Champcar, F2, Atlantics, Formula Nippon etc. on the track together!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 6 2009, 12:27 PM) *

Exactly, much more plentiful in Europe, where they also hold more Vintage F! events. There is typically only 1 a year in the US @ the Monterey Historics. Occasionally Brian Redmon will organize another.

Ferrari has an arm of the company that sells, stores, and services their old F1 Cars for customers.

I had a friend that had a Jaguar F1 car hanging from the wall of his garage museum.

Click to view attachment

The other thing is the obvious lack of parts. You bend a car or part of it up, you could be years building it back up. Like this poor chap

Click to view attachment

Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 7 2009, 03:31 AM) *

Taking all of this into consederation - where are they all? Are there that many private collectors? were they destroyed? It almost seems easier to buy a 916 (only 12 made) than an F1 car (100's - maybe 1000's made?)

Just curious....

Some of them are for sale here.
carr914
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 7 2009, 04:40 AM) *

There's more than one event per year. Check out http://www.historicgrandprix.com/schedule.htm

Also, there is usually one at Watkins Glen, lately in conjunction with SVRA, INDY Car or in the past, the Zippo Historic races. These vintage F1 cars are awesome to see and hear! Ocassionally, there will be one, two or more of later F1 cars running as exhibition.

My personal favorite however is the vintage races like the BOSS series that mix up various types of open wheel cars. Nothing like seeing F1, turbo charged CART/Champcar, F2, Atlantics, Formula Nippon etc. on the track together!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 6 2009, 12:27 PM) *

I don't know how I forgot the Watkins Glen event. I went back home in 2007 and went to the IRL race and they had the Vintage F1 cars there. Doh!

T.C.

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
Siffert917
carr914
That may be the car Seinfeld has - not that there is anything wrong with that biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.